News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB3: Replace mushrooms with Kuribo Boot  (Read 2054 times)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
SMB3: Replace mushrooms with Kuribo Boot
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
Hello, I am wondering what kind of undertaking it would be in Super Mario Brothers 3 to make all of the mushroom powerups be Kuribo's Boot (big green boot from level 5-3). I always loved the boot and would like to play the whole game with it. Because this would make certain levels less playable, it would also be nice to push select and skip to the end of the stage, if possible. That's not as important as the boot though.

I have done a small bit of ROM hacking, so I'm familiar with FCEUXDSP (a fine piece of work). I am just wondering what kind of effort this would be in general, i.e., swap a couple of instructions or add a few lines of code, vs. manually change every level in the game. SMB3 seems like a thoroughly hacked ROM, so I'll bet the ROM is fairly well known.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: SMB3: Replace mushrooms with Kuribo Boot
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:05:00 am »
Have you played Mario Adventure?  Something like that was done it that game.  I think in order to pull it off, the Frog Suit had to be made unavailable; also, it was only available from giant ? blocks.

The author mentions at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_0khCO8hE&feature=player_detailpage#t=254s that he did recently learn how to host a special powerup in a regular ? block, though.

Also, you may be aware that SMB3 has a debug mode accessible with the right code; the same debug mode is also available in Super Mario All-Stars.
http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros_3#Level_select_and_debug_menu.2Fmode

Using this code it is in fact possible to activate the Boot whenever you want, except its appearance is glitched outside of 5-3.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!