News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Koopa Kingdom Escape (New Demo 12/27/2014)  (Read 71465 times)

fellowroot

• View Profile
Re: Project Mario Adventure 3
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »
The hack is still going strong...

I said fuck it and ramped up the difficulty. The game was getting boring to create for so I decided to hell with people who will whine, I want this game to be harder than typical Nintendo fare.

And as much as I love your work and your game. Ramping up the difficulty may be this hacks downfall.

More often than not, hack are way too overly difficult. Just look at Zelda 3 Parallel Worlds. They even had to come up a newer version of the game, because the original was too difficult.

However you can increase the challenge in the game, but like someone else said there is a fine line between changing and unfair. 

I always say this:

Its better to make a game too easy rather than too hard. If a player plays an easy, but fun game then they may want to play more of it, but if they play a very difficult game, they may never play it again.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »
And as much as I love your work and your game. Ramping up the difficulty may be this hacks downfall.

More often than not, hack are way too overly difficult. Just look at Zelda 3 Parallel Worlds. They even had to come up a newer version of the game, because the original was too difficult.

However you can increase the challenge in the game, but like someone else said there is a fine line between changing and unfair. 

I always say this:

Its better to make a game too easy rather than too hard. If a player plays an easy, but fun game then they may want to play more of it, but if they play a very difficult game, they may never play it again.

Well by ramping up the difficulty, I only mean in terms of what the game was at. Unlike my first hack, I will push the game through private testers and make necessary changes where needed (a jump too hard? add a few extra blocks, too many enemies? remove one). While I like the element of surprise still, I don't want the player to feel cheated. That's why really tricky situations will present minimal risk but big reward. For example, if an area is particular tough, you won't be required to go through it, but if you do, their will be great rewards.

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »
Well by ramping up the difficulty, I only mean in terms of what the game was at. Unlike my first hack, I will push the game through private testers and make necessary changes where needed (a jump too hard? add a few extra blocks, too many enemies? remove one). While I like the element of surprise still, I don't want the player to feel cheated. That's why really tricky situations will present minimal risk but big reward. For example, if an area is particular tough, you won't be required to go through it, but if you do, their will be great rewards.

My last post was more of a concern for the integrity of the game itself more than anything else even if I did come off has being a little harsh.

It's just that I've seen way too many hacks ruin themselves by being too overly difficult.

I will also be willing to set down and beta test your hack when the time comes.

Thanks.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:54 pm »
I didn't play Mario Adventure for very long cause it got too hard too fast. I hope this new game is alot easier.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
It's been a rather long while since I last made a post, but I wanted to let everyone know that my project is still going strong! here's a sampling of my current progress:

-Brand new block definition engine built from scratch
-Revamped the tile solidity engine and made the solidity of a tile and it's interactions settable on a per-tile bases (applicable to entire tile sets).
-Set up multiple fireball and iceball tile interaction (i.e. fireballs turn ice blocks into background tiles, ice balls turn tops of water into ice blocks, etc). Settable on a per-tileset basis.
-Set up P-Switch changes (up to 8). I.e. when a p-switch is active, tile A will act like tile B. Applicable on a per-tileset basis.
-Slopes were removed in favor for a more robust tile interaction engine.
-The new tile engine allows for 5 enemies on screen at once without slow down.
-Note blocks are gone.
-SMW style spin blocks are in.
-Any block can be a power up, breakable brick, harmful, water, etc.
-New enemies include: Pirate Bros., Pirate Boo and Hyper Thwomp

Rather than post more screenshots, here's a few videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxNVUMHf1tM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBgJR3jhBaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QTSJcEzSv4

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »
That looks incredible!

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:19 pm »
Wow, that is one badass hack bro!  :D  Wonder how awesome this would be on real hardware...

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2013, 02:04:11 pm »
I'm just wondering...

Wouldn't it be better to have a SMB3 hack done with the Super Mario All Stars SNES rom because can't you have better colors and such???

Your game looks like it will be awesome, but you really need good beta testers and feedback on it an order to be fun to play. Many potentially great hacks suffer from being too difficult.

I am willing to be a beta tester when the time comes and will offer my feedback.

Thanks.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2013, 06:09:00 pm »
I appreciate the offer but I actually have a few beta testers that have been giving me excellent feedback. So far the consensus is that the game is much easier than the original. My goal has been creating interesting, not difficult, levels. This is why there are so many new aspects: some gimmicks may appear once or twice, but it will shale up the typical hop and bop formula.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »
I may be alone on this one but the All-Stars version looks like ass to me anyway. Sometimes less is more.

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:58 am »
 :o Just awesome. You are able to impress me with any new video you post.  :thumbsup:

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2013, 09:31:18 pm »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 11:40:51 pm »
Hey there, this is looking very awesome so far!  Let's hope you actually finish it this time, which appears to be the case anyways.

Also, to make this hack one of the greatest of all time, is it at all possible to hack in a proper save function?  To my knowledge, SMB3 only needs to keep track of 3 major variables.
  • What world is Mario in?
  • Did he beat the mid-castle? If so, the lock disappears, providing a shortcut.
  • What items does he have in his arsenal?

In addition to the above, you could make it keep track of hack-exclusive data that's needed for proper gameplay.

Lives/score/coins/current powerup can be reset every time, since they're pretty redundant. What's the point in saving lives when you can reload the save file? What's the point in farming coints for lives, when you can again reload your file? What's the point of saving your score? Saving your current powerup is redundant because you have your previously saved items.

This is my two cents, and I wish you the best of luck on this project!

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2013, 01:49:11 am »
Go play the first Mario Adventure, and all your questions will be answered.

No, seriously, do it. :angel:

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:38 am »
Also, to make this hack one of the greatest of all time, is it at all possible to hack in a proper save function?  To my knowledge, SMB3 only needs to keep track of 3 major variables.
  • What world is Mario in?
  • Did he beat the mid-castle? If so, the lock disappears, providing a shortcut.
  • What items does he have in his arsenal?

Like Lenophis was pointing out, Mario Adventure does have a save feature, so not having one in this is unacceptable. :)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2013, 02:14:02 am »
Yeah, but it appears to be a makeshift one.  It only keeps track of the coins you racked up, as everything else has to be done manually.  But considering coins are your keys, and the whole point is to get the coins, it makes sense.

There was no way to tell he was talking to me, anyway.  I thought he was telling random passerbys to check your your previous hack.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2013, 02:33:41 am »
Well... You were the one asking the questions so yeah, he might well have been talking to you.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 08:58:46 am »
Just an update for people who don't follow my progress on Facebook:

The project is still going strong, albeit, delayed. The initial January 2014 release won't happen due to the amount of time I actually get to work on the project. However, I'm still making progress:

Recent changes and features include -

-Fire Snakes leave a trail of fire on the ground as they hop around
-Ninja Bros. enemy coded in - throws stars in 8 directions and will attempt to dodge you
-Giant Chomps that eat through the ground
-Red and green springs
-Keys that can be carried and used to unlock doors
-Ice blocks now float in water and can be stood on top of
-Levels that dim to all black until you use a fireball to light a candle temporarily, making the room visible until the flame goes out
-Trip wires that, when touched, can activate Bullet Bill turrets, cannons, explosions
-Sparks from SMB2 coded in
-New type of Bullet Bill generator that fires at you from 8 directions
-SMW style spinner blocks
-New Mushroom Bank that allows you to deposit coins, these coins will earn interest as you play through. This is good to do since some enemies in the game can quickly steal your coins (Pirate Boos).
-Rotating Fire Bars from SMB1 and new Ice Bars that will freeze and toss Mario around
-New level theme "Sky Castle"
-Reverse water falls that move up
-Frog Mario is now "Poison Frog" Mario. This allows him to temporarily coat himself in a poisonous film that makes him invincible. However, this uses your air supply very quickly and takes time to regain.
-Probably a lot more changes that I've forgotten

And now, images!

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:07 am »
Notifications on. I suppose I'll constantly come to this post to look for ideas for my SMB hack.

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 11:14:57 pm »
I like the addition of the Yoshi's Island-esque falling Chomps, but the appearance of just a zoomed in sprite appears to clash with the rest of the art.