News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SRW Z2 Menu Translation Help  (Read 28377 times)

TitanAnteus

• I love Super Robot Wars
    • View Profile
Re: SRW Z2 Menu Translation Help
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:32 am »
Good work.
Next would be to find if there is a Tile Width Table for the font so that you will have a VWF.
What is a VWF and how do I go about doing that? :huh:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »
What is a VWF and how do I go about doing that? :huh:

I can answer your first question: A VWF, or Variable Width Font, is a font system with proper kerning. If you don't see awkward spaces in between letters in a word, you have VWF.

If you see awkward spaces in between letters of a word, it's Fixed Width, so there's no kerning.

If I got any of this wrong, anyone, please feel free to smack me...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »
And to add on to what Garoth Moulinoski said.  A VWF would allow that sentence to fit nicely on one line without any runoff.  A Font width table would be a group of hex values representing the width of the tiles in the font.  Based on what I'm seeing likely 16.  So you would look to see if there is a table of width values, in this case likely all 16.  Then modify the ones that correspond to the English letters.  Sometimes this table is in the the same file as the font sometimes not.  Since this game has no one byte English font It may not have the widths anywhere.

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 06:26:19 pm »
And to add on to what Garoth Moulinoski said.  A VWF would allow that sentence to fit nicely on one line without any runoff.  A Font width table would be a group of hex values representing the width of the tiles in the font.  Based on what I'm seeing likely 16.  So you would look to see if there is a table of width values, in this case likely all 16.  Then modify the ones that correspond to the English letters.  Sometimes this table is in the the same file as the font sometimes not.  Since this game has no one byte English font It may not have the widths anywhere.
Interesting but the problem is that there are about a billion fonts in the game.  Most of the text fits where I want it to as well, so I'll work on translation for now.

EDIT: Ok, I see your point everyone.  It's not possible to make it look nice W/0 finding a tilewidth table, however; I don't know how to find them.  What are the steps people take to find these tables?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:07:26 pm by TitanAnteus »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:09 pm »
I didn't search for what i told you on pm yet because I getting drunk at my work :p
Anyway, i took a look at your decrypted eboot on graphic view with some nice findings:

A bit below:

Till you get to another font (incomplete):

Below that there is some mech piece with probably a palette between them (uninteresting for translation):

UPDATE: Getting drunk give me some good eyes LOL
Some more graphics:

Sorry if I didn't remember to put the screens with the offsets everywhere but they are grupped so the one above probably use the same settings as the other pics and they are all in the middle/bottom part of the eboot.

Anyway, that "PAL DUMMY" make me think that the game is probably some how ready for pal release so i believe that it shoulf be easy to get the VWF (my drunken speculation only :p) and in fact, this look very suspect to me:

Remember what i told you on PM?? Here you probably have it. Try to change those 0F to 08 (or around that value so that you see clearly the difference when you play the game) but only the ones in the row not the left one if you have 2 next to each others. By doing this, each letter should be nearer as the ones in your screens (the japanese probably will have overlapping but forget about it for the moment.
The important is to find out if it's the TWT and then we need to find the offsets (the 3 bytes in between) for the letters and simbols that you need in english.
Remember to make a backup of your eboot before doing this.
On a second sight, I am probably wrong you could test it anyway.

I forgot to tell you about an alternative if i am wrong with the TWT.
If you have asm experience and an emu that can debug, you could try to find the text write routine and see where the TWT is or if there is none, at least change the default space for each letters.

UPDATE 2
Well, well, well....your menu translation better start from the graphics at this point :p
New file new luck:

If you allign the other parts, you get this:

And again, new file, new luck :p
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:59:29 pm by Auryn »

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 11:09:06 pm »
Wow that's a lot of  information, but I honestly am waaaaay too scared to get into graphics hacking.  For now, I'll hack the game into somewhat playability and to do that, I just need the FW Tables.

KC

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 03:58:06 am »
It is likely that the game doesn't support variable character widths, and doesn't have any such tables as a result. Most japanese games with their own font systems don't bother with that. You'd have to program that yourself in that case.
Either way, you'd need to use a debugger to see what actually happens when the game draws the text. There, you can see where the widths come from, a table or a constant value.

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
It is likely that the game doesn't support variable character widths, and doesn't have any such tables as a result. Most japanese games with their own font systems don't bother with that. You'd have to program that yourself in that case.
Either way, you'd need to use a debugger to see what actually happens when the game draws the text. There, you can see where the widths come from, a table or a constant value.
I doubt that because the japanese text has different widths in this game.

StorMyu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »
I doubt that because the japanese text has different widths in this game.
proof ?

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »
proof ?

I honestly thought that was only for old NES/SNES games when games on average didn't have Font-Width Tables.

KC

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
There are only two different widths in the area you highlighted. The kanji characters with 16 pixels, and the non-kanji characters with 12. That's a fairly common "optimization".
Code: [Select]
int width;
if (character >= '亜') // first sjis kanji character
 width = 16;
else
 Width = 12;
That doesn't require the game to support variable widths for all characters. Such a range check is extremely simple. It does mean you might have an easier time finding the corresponding code though. But as I said before, only debugging will reveal the answer.

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »
There are only two different widths in the area you highlighted. The kanji characters with 16 pixels, and the non-kanji characters with 12. That's a fairly common "optimization".
Code: [Select]
int width;
if (character >= '亜') // first sjis kanji character
 width = 16;
else
 Width = 12;
That doesn't require the game to support variable widths for all characters. Such a range check is extremely simple. It does mean you might have an easier time finding the corresponding code though. But as I said before, only debugging will reveal the answer.
But I can't debug PSP games.  This game wont emulate either.

EDIT: In truth... I've actually made the game "playable" already.  I'm just at the step to make it look nice and stuff...  I'm running out of time.  I have to go back to college very soon and I really need to buckle down this year.  Is there any way I can try and pass this project on to someone else?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 07:30:16 pm »
You can compile your notes and table files and any other necessary files and submit them to the "Abandoned" projects found to your left.

Or you can create a "Help Wanted Ad" as well, requesting additional help. That might help you finish it faster.

Or you can wait for an interested individual to PM you or reply to this thread.

TitanAnteus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »
You can compile your notes and table files and any other necessary files and submit them to the "Abandoned" projects found to your left.

Or you can create a "Help Wanted Ad" as well, requesting additional help. That might help you finish it faster.

Or you can wait for an interested individual to PM you or reply to this thread.
I just finished taking a look at the Abandoned projects area... I don't know why but I feel like after a project gets abandoned by the original owner it goes away for good.  I don't want that to happen to Z2.  :-[

Do I need a personal project webpage to create a Help Wanted Ad?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 01:30:32 am »
Well, it takes awhile because you won't necessarily find someone right away who wants to take up the work.
Also, it's often considered easier to use the abandoned work more as a reference than try to hack another hack.

Also, SRW games are known for massive scripts, so it could also take awhile before you find one of those few fans out that has the ability to translate as well as the time and the desire to follow through with it. :)
(though they'd probably also want to collaborate with a ROM hacker they can trust will be able to do their part as well)

A few in the Abandoned Projects have been finished. Pennywise finished Angel Marlowe a little while ago after the work was sitting abandoned since like 2001.
Paul Jensen has been working on Rent-A-Hero from the archive (been up since the archive was started in 2005-2006.)
Many RPGs that are either lengthy translations, difficult to hack or are obscure games, so that explains why it takes some time for someone to step up.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lonfyre

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:28 pm »
Sorry for what some people will consider a "Necropost", but this is relevant to the thread's topic and might help the project come along.

http://www.youtube.com/user/srwfanhobbyt3?feature=plcp

Apparently another person has uploaded some progress and even a playable Z2 Hakai-hen patch, with progress made in all 3 PSP released SRW games.

It might be helpful to collaborate with them and possibly help the project along (in his project which I'm playing through there are some small issues with spirit descriptions).  Would be great to see a project such as SRWZ2 completed, and I personally wish I could be of help translating (though checking Eboot.bin with MadEdit almost drove me insane as I'm well...more than just inexperienced.