News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Rhythm Tengoku / Heaven GBA Translation  (Read 19609 times)

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: Rhythm Tengoku / Heaven GBA Translation
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:03 pm »
Are the sounds in sdat format??
If yes, you should be able to insert new sounds.
Look around GBATEMP, you should find the tools.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:26:43 pm »
That would be too easy :). It looks like Sappy is the typical GBA sound format (sdat is for NDS).

I tried a few tools like this. They are all extractors for the Sappy, I think. None of them found anything.

I never noted this anywhere, but WarioWare, WarioWare: Twisted!, and Rhythm Tengoku use similar/identical fonts. Twisted and Tengoku come from the same developer so I think there may even be a similar game engine between the two. (Tengoku was made by a small team on a small budget.) For what it's worth, WarioWare doesn't seem to have Sappy audio either.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:04 am »
Awesome to see this still going on. :)

I'd be willing to help out with some of the ROM hacking you haven't been able to figure out. I'm confident I could figure out anything except cracking the sound stuff (maybe eventually!), anything you'd like me to take a look at?
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:39 am »
I was totally wrong on whether the audio cues in "Marcher" and "Space Dance" should be edited. If this were a real Nintendo localization, they would be. Therefore, I would like the fan translation to include edited sounds as well. [Of course, if it's not possible to hack in some new audio, there's nothing we can do.] Japanese music (The*Bon Odori, Remix 3, Remix 5) would not be edited under my plan... but I may come around on that too. To BRPXQZME and Deets, I am sorry.
Hey, it’s all good. Don’t need an apology. I am just a blunter speaker than I wish I were sometimes. :beer:
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »
I'd be willing to help out with some of the ROM hacking you haven't been able to figure out. I'm confident I could figure out anything except cracking the sound stuff (maybe eventually!), anything you'd like me to take a look at?
Find our folder with latest Atlas script and collection of save states here. Especially note the "0. Glitches and Bugs" subfolder in the save state folder.

Take your pick from our bug / todo list. I've elaborated on each of them.
  • Like I said, CUE has already done a bunch of work on graphics ripping (to eventually understand the format enough to extract + replace Japanese graphics). This is our most wanted hack, but it is also definitely the hardest hacking job.
  • The "go for a perfect" box looks awful on two games - Remix 3 and Remix 5. The awards from getting perfects (the songs WISH and Love's Angel) are too long to display, and the JPN "go for a perfect" box displays a special shortened version of the text. This may be fixable with only edits to the Atlas script and no hacking at all. If so, it would probably take some edits to the "go for a perfect" and "you got a perfect" screens (near the top of the script). You can see how the JPN game handles these games by plugging in the included save states to an unpatched Japanese ROM.
  • In a list of comments at the end of a game, all comments will be capitalized. This leads to comments like "Also, You nailed every move!" The comments are stored in the Atlas script and they all start with a capital letter. The introductory clauses ("also") also start with capital letters. I think it would take a hack to handle this, as the Japanese comments didn't need to care about "lower case" sentences.
  • The*Bon Odori: Sprites flicker towards the end (the second "it's a festival, hooray!") because there are too many letters on-screen. Similar issues were encountered more frequently on "The Bon Dance" (column 6). We significantly truncated the words we were using in order to fix it there. It's pretty ugly and we can't display the lyrics we want, but it no longer flickers. Workaround: lessen our letter usage. (This does ruin our artistic vision though. ;))

(ignore the text at the top -- that happens when you save state and edit the text)

How frustrating! There is some unused space in the VRAM but the game insists on flickering.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:48:10 pm by Doomed »

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
We're not dead yet. I made a new trailer. I'm really proud of it.

Spikeman has just finished his finals so he should be able to work more on graphical hacking.

Our Twitter page continues to be the place to get the latest patch downloads. I'm thinking of finally posting a new patch this Friday. We've made some minor text changes and re-done the in-game credits to have less Engrish and better capitalization / color-coding. ("GAME PROGRAM" to "Programming") I'd like to fix a major graphical bug in the "Tap Trial" game but it has eluded me for so long, I doubt I will fix it in time.