News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New and Need Help: What Table Tools (and how) to Use On Windows 7 64-bit?  (Read 2484 times)

WarioMANX

The subject pretty much says it all; I'm new and need help getting started on hacking ROMs. I want to learn to translate GBA games by modifying the in-game text.

My main issue is using tools to look at and modify text on my 64-bit version of Windows 7. I have looked over the "Getting Started" sections and downloaded many programs suggested, but none of them work. Some like "TaBuLar" and "Thingy" give errors or fail compatibility on start-up, while others like "Atlas" or "Cartographer" open a window that immediately closes. Not a single readme file among the latter explain how to open them, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong that I don't know about. Google and romhacking searches provides no real information (I knew googling "Thingy" was gonna be hopeless but...).

I need to know what table tools I need to use that'll actually work on my computer, or what I need to do to make the ones I do have work. (I've tried getting the file needed for "TaBuLar" but doesn't change anything)

Additionally, I have downloaded Tile Layer Pro which does work, but I was wondering if there were better graphic tools to use.

Any amount of help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
while others like "Atlas" or "Cartographer" open a window that immediately closes.

They work. You just don't know how to use them.

They're command line-based tools. You run them from the Command Prompt.

For table tools, get Monkey-Moore. It has built-in relative search and table export functionality.

As a further note, if you don't know how to program, it pays dividends to learn. Making your own tools when nothing else works is an absolutely vital skill.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

tashi

• View Profile
A super cool tip I recently learned:  if you hold shift and right click an empty area of a folder, "open command prompt here" should appear in the context menu. Saves a lot of hassle from running cmd.exe and then trying to navigate to your folder via cd, dir, and tab completion.

I find Crystal Tile 2 very convenient for looking at tiles, but everyone has personal preferences.

For long Japanese tables with thousands of entries, I actually use... Microsoft Excel. In col A I have a long list of integers. In col B I use =DEC2HEX to convert to hex. Col C is the character itself, and col D is a concatenation in the format of "hex = character"  I copy col D to a text file and save that as my table. One reason for using excel is that, for instance, if I accidentally skip a character, that means ALL the following offsets need to be shifted, which is trivial in Excel (just drag cells around).

I second Monkey Moore as being a useful tool. It's great for finding the hiragana in a game. Pretty sure it outputs tables in UTF-8, though a lot of other tools expect S-JIS, so be aware of that.