News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES/SMS Rom Hacking Differences  (Read 1920 times)

orkney

• View Profile
NES/SMS Rom Hacking Differences
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:55:52 pm »
Hi all. I'm hoping some of you can share your views on why the Sega Master System has considerably less hacks/homebrew/demoes etc than the NES? For example the database here hosts:-

Documents: 8 SMS, 176 NES
Hacks: 3 SMS, 357 NES
Utilities 0 SMS, 194 NES
Translations: 4 SMS, 313 NES
etc.

I'd be interested in learning to hack up some SMS games (sprite swapping, basic demos, level editing etc) but with numbers like the above I just don't think that newbie support will be available when inevitably needed.

I thought it was perhaps a cultural thing as the SMS was nowhere near as popular in the US as it was in Europe, but I've since visited another forum dedicated to SMS Development but even their annual competition only drew in around 10 non-music entries, and none of them looked finished (though at least 2 showed real promise).

Is it just more difficult to program for the SMS and why then are there so few tools and utilities to help newbies?

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter  :thumbsup: Cheers

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: NES/SMS Rom Hacking Differences
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:43 pm »
As far as translations go, there were only a handful of games that were never released in English. I think the only remaining one is that Bakabon game. Other than that there are probably a few that could use a retranslation, but not that much. I don't think there's a lack of knowledge or hacking tools available for the system and there's even a dedicated hacker or two for the system on SMS Power! I think. I think it's just a matter of individual interest, which is pretty much the case for everything romhacking related.

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: NES/SMS Rom Hacking Differences
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:48:14 am »
I think you can't make a table like that because there are exactly 8 graphic editor tools in RHDN that supports SMS and actually 1 is SMS exclusive.
What i mean is that not because it's not listed as supported by a tool, it means that it will sure not work.
What you could say is that there are not too many specific docs or tools for SMS but I believe that it's because the structure of the games was very similar back then and I remeber reading many tutorial that was for SNES and SMS.
Maybe there is a lack of docs and tools in RHDN but you sure can find many things online anyway.
Just remember this: the basic of translation/level editing/ etc...is always the same for every system. Only how you find your data, how it's stored and maybe the format change but the rest is always the same.