News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tell me about RPGe.  (Read 10118 times)

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
Tell me about RPGe.
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:24:49 am »
A google search reveals very, very little on the history of this translator (translation group?). Who were they? When did they release their patches? Where are they now? What happened to them?

A review of Final Fantasy V's translation by them refers to it as the original fan translation.

Apologies if this seems irrelevant, but I'm just killing time...

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Tell me about RPGe.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:28 am »
The answer (and much more) good sir can be found by clicking the 'History' link on our left hand navigation bar. ;)

That answers all questions aside from where they are now. I can't say much there, but I don't believe any are doing anything ROM hacking related today.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:54 am »

You mean that's it?

My reader's instinct is not satisfied.

This is a topic that's been on my mind lately; a timeline is a poor representation of history.

From the wikipedia article: (emphasis mine)

Historians write in the context of their own time, and with due regard to the current dominant ideas of how to interpret the past, and sometimes write to provide lessons for their own society. In the words of Benedetto Croce, "All history is contemporary history". History is facilitated by the formation of a 'true discourse of past' through the production of narrative and analysis of past events relating to the human race.[13] The modern discipline of history is dedicated to the institutional production of this discourse.

What's the inside story behind RPGe? How can we know where we're going if we haven't bothered to research where we've been? You don't get handed a timeline when you take a history course; you get handed a timeline and a history book.

Maybe this deserves its own topic. What can we learn from the history of romhacking?

EDIT: Here's something...July 8th, 1997 (the day RPGe was formed) would be a momentous day in the history of romhacking. I wish we knew a more exact account of what exactly occurred. I move to hereby recognize July 8th as International Romhacking Day.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:17:24 am by Spooniest »

Skeud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:27:57 am »
You can still ask to people still around. Shadow & Y0shi are often on byuu's board (with different nicks). I found Barubary's new personal webpage (also with a new name), but lost again his trace.

samurai goroh

• View Profile
    • My page
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »
Maybe this could help a bit?
Old RPGe FF5 documents and tools
I'm the best in the universe, remember that [F-zero X]

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:50 pm »
I appreciate it, but that seems to have gone cold some time ago. Plus, I get the feeling that Lenophis doesn't like me very much, or else I would probably register on Slick Forums myself and try to contact this "Myria."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:58 pm »
Bah! I *AM* a community history book. I've lived it and I've cataloged much of this over the years at my board, including the details of FF5 and RPGe.

RPGe Chapter 1:

Originally Demi was going to translate FF5e with Som2Freak in late '96. It proved to be too much and he moved to FF2j. In late '96 into early '97, both David Timko and D independently contacted SoM2Freak about working on FF5. He sent over some tools and files as a starting point. D was working with Hooie and Thermopyle. Both groups worked separately until June '97. Then, there was a big drama between the two groups and accusations of stolen work were flying. Both groups ripped each other off.

They soon sorted out their differences and tried combining forces. A few weeks later, RPGe was formed at 8:43 PM EST on July 8 1997 in #ff5e on EsperNet IRC network. Soon after, SoM2Freak showed up wanting to help.  SoM2Freak brought along Barubary to do a better job hacking. RPGe split into multiple projects. Thermopyle and MagitekKn moved on to Dragon Quest I&II, David Timko had knee surgery after which he never returned, and Hooie and D worked on Ranma 1/2 RPG. FF5 ended up in the hands of SoM2Freak and Barubary. Harmony 7 was brought in toward the end to polish up the translation and to argue with Som2Freak. D quit due to internal drama. Ultimately, the project was released credited to D, Som2freak, Barubary, and Harmony 7.

Really, it's quite the teenage dramatic tale! One could delve into the details for hours. Chapter 2 would be the demise of RPGe. It closed and re-opened multiple times for some entertaining reasons. The group imploded. People left, came back, and left again. Drama ensued regularly. But, that's a story for another day. :P

Much of this summary is sourced from myself, Demi, D, and EmuNews archives.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:03:27 pm by Nightcrawler »
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:58:45 pm »
If we don't tell our stories, no one will.

I'm gonna keep a copy of this...assuming that's all the same to you of course.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
It would be great to expand the Wiki history with anecdotal tales elaborating on many things. However, people haven't found it worthwhile to even keep a timeline updated. I can't imagine many whom would bother to tell any tales. :(

We need to get some of those grumpy old-timers back around here to start telling their tales before everybody is too old to remember. The new generation will have no idea of the truly silly dramatic tales like the days of old when ROM hacking was fresh and new. A piece of history will fade away. An era forgotten. I suppose that's both a bad and good thing!  ;D

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »
It's never a good thing for history to be forgotten. Or hasn't Final Fantasy 6 taught us anything?!  ;)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »
Agreed. I actually kinda wish we had a more extensive romhacking history. I only got started in emulation and whatnot in like...1999 or 2000? So I had already missed a few years of it.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »
When one is ignorant of RUSTY PEACHES, how can one truly know what romhacking is all about?  Granted, that didn't involve RPGe.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
This is thoroughly embarrassing, but probably worth sharing anyway. I started writing an article on the FF translation wars of 1997 in 1999. It's pretty poorly written. But at the bottom there are poorly conducted interviews! The interviews are also cursed. </simpsons>

http://www.snakeyes.org/articles/ff.php

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:44 pm »
The interviews are also cursed. </simpsons>

...I get it

EDIT: Just what I was talking about. This is the true history of the romhacking community. There's no need to be embarrassed, share your stories! Inquiring minds want to know!

Let all who possess libation drink to the art of romhacking!  :beer:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:11:39 pm by Spooniest »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
http://www.snakeyes.org/articles/ff.php

DUDE SGC. Last update from 2005, hah!

How's Jandar these days?

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »
Happy and married lat I spoke to him. I bought a 72pin nes replacement from him three or four years ago when he was selling them on sgc's front page.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »
Anecdotes on the history of romhacking are meant to be posted here! Let's beef up that history section, people!

Tell me who "Jandar" is. What did he work on? Where is he from? How does he like his eggs? Tell meeeee!! [/Steiner]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:34:45 am by Spooniest »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:15 am »
I don't know anyone named Jander.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 01:37:43 am »
I started writing an article on the FF translation wars of 1997 in 1999.

That's good!

It's pretty poorly written.

That's bad!

But at the bottom there are poorly conducted interviews!

That's good!

The interviews are also cursed.

...Can I go now?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Klarth

• View Profile