News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wario Land 3 level editor  (Read 23805 times)

Drenn

• View Profile
Wario Land 3 level editor
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:52:49 am »
Download at the Project Page

I'm writing a level editor for Wario Land 3 in java. It's functional enough to make respectable level hacks. It has been tested on windows and linux, and it should have few problems running on other java-supported systems. I would appreciate feedback on this project, since I've never made a utility of this scale before.

Here's some proof you can make an okay hack:

Video
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:27:08 pm by Drenn »
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. Join our discord for help & more information!

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
Re: Wario Land 3 level editor
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »
Awesome job. I've always loved the Wario Land series and I even considered making an editor for WL3 myself. It looks like you have it all figured out, but if you'd like any help I'm a big fan and can understand z80, just throwing that out there.

Any plans on releasing the source of the editor when it's released? Also may I ask what makes editing the overworld so difficult?
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:20 pm »
If I need some help I'll keep you in mind, thanks for the offer. I'll probably release the source, but not at first - it's an uncommented mess.

As for the overworld, maybe I should revise what I said. I'm mostly just reluctant to do it. An overworld editor is rather useless without an editor for treasure chest contents, and I'd need to figure out how treasure & the overworld interact, which I doubt is simple business. And I doubt the average hacker would really put in the effort to make a new overworld. I could change my mind, especially if someone wants to make a complete hack. It won't be happening soon, in any case.
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. Join our discord for help & more information!

Vanisle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »
Nicely done, I am excited for this. In due time I was actually going to start making my own Wario Land 3 Editor but you beat me to it.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:06 pm »
Awesome! You beat me in terms of progress. A long time ago I decided to take a shot at it, even though I've never played the game, but I managed to get somewhat far: http://puu.sh/Amrj I couldn't really figured out the mess of tiles or room order, so it's nice to see someone else could!

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
I'm surprised - I hadn't thought anyone had prodded that deep into WL3 before me. I'm sure it could have been a great editor if you'd went further, considering how well ZOLE turned out!

Progress is coming fairly smoothly. Once there's a way of specifying the types of keys and chests which can be placed in an area, and a bit more flexibility for enemy placement, it should be ready to be released - plus, I need to make at least a basic readme. I don't think it will take more than a week or 2.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »
I say, a shoddy release is better than no release. Stick a note on it and release it for now, you can always make another release once things are even better.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
Actually, I've done most of what I said I'd do over the last day. Perhaps my sense of timing needs work. So, I've released it now, link is in the first post. It uses java - I migrated from c++. If I'm not mistaken, RHDN won't accept a mediafire link for submissions? If not, I'll need to set up dropbox or something. Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think about it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:21 am »
RHDN won't accept anything from any site that won't allow direct links to the file.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
Long time, no post! I'm going to release version 0.2 sometime within the next few days. I spent a lot of time fixing bugs and tweaking the UI, but there was time for me to actually make new features as well - the big thing is tileset editing. I also think I've made level editing somewhat more practical.

The main window is similar to before:

Here is the (incomplete) tileset editor:

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »
Wow....nice... :)  Keep it up.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »
Version 0.2 is out! Link is in the first post. Feedback would be appreciated as always.

Edit: I just set up dropbox but I can't upload it to the database. Whenever I try to submit it it tells me that
"The value 'https://dl.dropbox.com/u/100702766/Wario%20Land%203/WL3%20Editor%200.2.zip' is not a valid URL. It MUST be a full URL!"

The url works, so I don't understand what it's complaining about.

Edit: Never mind, I just needed to remove the s from https.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:32:19 pm by Drenn »

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
I've just uploaded version 0.3. The database hasn't validated the update yet but in the meantime, 0.3 can be downloaded from here.

There isn't much new stuff in the way of features, to be honest. It's mostly bugfixes and tweaks. However, text can now be edited, as well as the credits:

It's kind of an obscure feature, but I think it's neat. The next thing I'm going to tackle is replacing those blue object boxes with actual images of the enemies - the inability to identify enemies is probably the worst thing about this editor at the moment.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:43 pm »
I've mostly lost interest in this project by now. I was going to do a bit more before releasing a new version but I don't think that's going to happen... so here's version 0.4. Download it here.

What's new in this version? Not much. I never did replace the blue object boxes, but I did improve the object set editor. So now, you can know what the enemies in a level are and modify them.

I've uploaded the source code to github. I did say I'd make it open source at some point. If somebody wants to pick it up, they can feel free.

Also, here is some documentation I have on Wario Land 3, in case anyone is interested.

I don't know if I'll pick up this project again, so I figured I'd share what I have in case anyone else wants to hack this awesome game.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:51 am »
You should submit this to the utilities section! And submit your documentation as well, wouldn't want it to get lost in the forum forever.

Awesome work on the editor btw. :)
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Singing Soul

• rees n soe ur my dinokwinz i bow b4 u n lic ur fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 05:54:03 am »
woa

awsome

!!!!!!!

wen i fist tried to get into rum hexxing i tried warrio land3 cuz i lov that gaem to hell but i was so noob i cudnt get very far at all fail

glad to c someone cool like you being a champ!!!

to bad u dunt feel like continueing wit it but when i finnish my otter projacts i mite give it a shoot

btw can ur le bell editor handl level evolutions??? thats teh hard part imo

PS: ure cool
DINOSUAR KING RULS
-Best gaims evr: ZERUDA: Skyguard Swore, Wario Lamb 3, Castelvenia 64
-my waifs: zoe drake, reese drake, carry fernando, fay, humid, metroid, helios tda primodial sung, lyn lyndys, the hot mexican chic fron the DnD game, c. syrup
-Curently working in: umhara cubase levell editer

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
Just a few days ago I updated to version 0.4.1, it's now on the project page. Aside from some behind-the-scenes fixes, the only real new feature is the ability to export and import graphics. Useful since sprite graphics are compressed.

I decided to update this editor when I heard people wanted to make a hack of Wario Land 3. I would rather my software didn't throw up on their hard work, and some features are lacking, so... here I am.

Currently I'm working on a way to export level data to files. There are a few reasons for this:
- Collaboration will be easier.
- I'm playing a dangerous game with free space allocation in the rom. When compressed data grows in size, for instance, it will find a new place for it. I worry that if I make a mistake, a rom could get trashed. So a way to export data away from the confines of the rom more or less puts my conscience at ease.

I already have exporting and importing basic level data working. There's more to it than that, but that was the hardest part probably. Tilesets, object sets, and enemy sets should also be exportable. And maybe other kinds of data in the future, say, animation data for tilesets which I haven't looked into yet.

wariolandgoldpiramid

• Director of the Wario Land 3 Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »
However, text can now be edited, as well as the credits:
It's kind of an obscure feature, but I think it's neat.

I decided to update this editor when I heard people wanted to make a hack of Wario Land 3.

Not so obscure anymore :P

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »
Updated to version 0.5, featuring the level importer and exporter I was talking about. Another notable thing is the "misc graphics" feature which is used to modify various graphics and the palettes associated with them. This is useful because a lot of the graphics in the game are compressed, and the editor can relocate the data if it becomes too big in size.

Other than that I'll let the changelog do the talking:

Code: [Select]
- Levels are exportable and importable to and from files
- New miscellaneous graphics editor allows for editing various compressed graphics
- Improvements to free space management, fatal errors are less common
(but they can still sometimes occur with the misc gfx feature, if too much is
added to the graphics)
- Undo (Ctrl-Z) and Redo (Ctrl-Y) for changes to tiles and objects (not regions)
- Rectangular fill tool (Ctrl+Left click)
- More enemies can be added to enemy sets
 - The metadata file keeps track of enemy sets which are moved because of this.
- Save prompt on exit
- Updated tileEffects.txt

I haven't decided what I want to put in the next version yet, but some things I'm considering:
- A way to edit graphics maps (or at least extract the data since it's usually compressed), mainly for proper titlescreen editing.
- A way to import music. (needs a lot of research though)
- Editing the animation tiles used in various levels
- Editing enemy animations or other properties