News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A couple problems using metedit  (Read 2877 times)

mnhacker

• View Profile
A couple problems using metedit
« on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »
Hi guys I did a complete metroid edit a while ago and its just been sitting on my hd because I ran into some probs.
I didn't change any of the rooms just did complete graphic and enemy hack. Anyhoo the problems are in the rooms where the scrolling changes direction.  ie. the entrance to kraids hideout. I can no longer go through the door on the right side, the game wants to go down even though bombs are needed to go down.'
Another problem are a couple doors I changed in the last level.  I think I replaced the "speacil door tile" with just regular tiles which is probably a big no no.

Is there any way to fix this stuff, I do not want to start over from scratch.  Any metroid documentation? I'm familar with hacking and using fceuxd.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: A couple problems using metedit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »
I'm not clear on what the problems are that you're running into. What does it mean when "the game wants to go down"? Is the right-side door visible? Does it open? Can you go through it? Does it scroll to the next room? Does the next room scroll in the correct direction? At which step does something go wrong, and how so?

There are two types of doors. One changes between horizontal scrolling and vertical scrolling, the other always changes to horizontal scrolling. In Brinstar these are object types 3 and 4 respectively. That might be different in some levels. Make sure you are using the right types of doors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "special door tile" or how you "replaced" it. You're talking about what you think you did wrong, but what is the actual problem that it caused? How are the doors in Tourian not working correctly? (Consult above list.)

One tip(/plug): try opening your ROM in Editriod. It's easier to see how rooms are connected and which types of doors you are using (enable "Show Physics").

mnhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:25:23 pm »
Thanks I'll check out editroid
I'll post pictures in the future

June 09, 2012, 11:36:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I think I've got the doors/scorlling fixed,

but now the door graphics are messed up. 
I no longer need to shoot the door to open it, just walk right through,
what's going on?

I belive the left door/right door options are checked off in editroid.

what its supposed to look like (metedit screen shot):

emulator screen shot

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:36:51 pm by mnhacker »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:50 am »
How are you creating the "lip" of the pipe? As part of the background? As a door bubble?

It's hard to figure out what's going on here, but I'll explain how the doors work and maybe that will help figure out what is going on. Suppose you place a door bubble in a room. When the room is loaded, a vertical strip of six tiles (where the door bubble will go) is erased and replaced with tile $4E. It looks like it is done this way so that background collision detection can be used to make the doors solid/shootable. 4E tiles also appear to behave as solid, except when placed where a door bubble goes.

So, possibly, if you made your door bubbles invisible, and made the lip of the pipe using background tiles, and tile 4E was solid white, that would explain what you are seeing. But that wouldn't explain why you don't need to shoot the door bubble.

mnhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:14 pm »
Thanks again. I did have something drawn on $4E and as soon as I erased it the door graphics were back to normal. 
I did have to shoot the door just didnt realise it right away/sound wasn't on, no animation on doors.