News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Increasing the width of the characters  (Read 3595 times)

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
Increasing the width of the characters
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:41:06 pm »
Hello! Immediately apologize for my English ...
I need to increase the width of some characters in the font. For each character in the font assigned to the tile size 16x16 pixels. But each character is displayed on the screen while maintaining a certain width. If I make a characters more wider without going outside the allocated space for it, it will not be displayed completely. I believe that where there is a table of characters in the font widths, but I do not know what she looks like and where it is. Can anyone help me with this?
Platform: PSX
The game: Alundra [SLUS_005.53]
The font file: . \ TAKI \ SCREEN \ FONT3.TIM

Example:

Hiei-

• View Profile
Re: Increasing the width of the characters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »
If there is a variable-width font and you search it, it's often  something like :

"XX XX XX XX" where "XX" are the width of the characters, for example :

if a = 7, b = 7, c = 6 and d = 7, it's often :

07 07 06 07 etc... then you just have to change the value according to your new characters.

But it's probably in another file, not especially in the font file, but why not after all.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:30:56 am »
Unfortunately, nothing like I have not found. I was searching around the disk image. Apparently, the table format is somewhat different.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:25 am »
Surely no one will be able to handle this is not a big problem? In the end - where your "sporting interest"? :)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:25:36 am »
Our interests tend to lay within our own projects, not other peoples'. The width table solution is the only I've personally encountered, though it takes various forms; sometimes the widths are embedded directly into the font, sometimes they're stored before the font, sometimes they're stored with the rendering code. If it's not automatically calculating the widths (which is also sometimes done, but given your situation seems unlikely) then the values have to be stored somewhere, in some format.

Past that, we've given you a starting point and some information, it's up to you to put it to use.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:36 pm »
Honestly, if you simply want 16x16 characters, why not hack the Japanese version? That would likely use 16x16 by default.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »
Our interests tend to lay within our own projects, not other peoples'. The width table solution is the only I've personally encountered, though it takes various forms; sometimes the widths are embedded directly into the font, sometimes they're stored before the font, sometimes they're stored with the rendering code. If it's not automatically calculating the widths (which is also sometimes done, but given your situation seems unlikely) then the values have to be stored somewhere, in some format.

Past that, we've given you a starting point and some information, it's up to you to put it to use.
I thought that for the pros in hacking, nothing is impossible. But since they are so busy, sorry...

Honestly, if you simply want 16x16 characters, why not hack the Japanese version? That would likely use 16x16 by default.

~DS
I do not fit such an option. I just wanted to make the font a little wider, and not tormented with Japanese characters.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
The answers you seek will not be given and instead must be found by you alone. Nothing is impossible if the time and work is put into something.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:08 am »
The answers you seek will not be given and instead must be found by you alone. Nothing is impossible if the time and work is put into something.
I never realized you wanted to say your post.
In any case, thanks to all responded.