News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for help hacking Final Fantasy 6 SNES or Chrono Trigger.  (Read 2500 times)

baronnecro

I'm looking into Rom Hacking either FF 6 Snes or Chrono Trigger Snes and was wondering  which is easier to change and which has more tools available as well as what I would need to hack them extensively. My desire is... to make a serious (not parody) Doctor Who RPG using one of these games as a base. I have some experience using tools and ASM scripting doing Pokemon stuff for fun. I was who to talk to for help and where to get tools to make my dream a reality. (you can also email me at: Baronnecrospasm@yahoo.com) Thank You 

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Looking for help hacking Final Fantasy 6 SNES or Chrono Trigger.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
Just don't use either. I strongly recommend picking up a copy of a game making application and using that instead. Or if you are too proud to use one of those, go learn a high level programing language and do it from scratch. I recommend Flash and ActionScript 3.

Geiger

• View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Re: Looking for help hacking Final Fantasy 6 SNES or Chrono Trigger.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »
If you specifically want to use one of the two games, it really depends on what you want to focus on.  Final Fantasy VI has tools more readily available for the battle side of things (spells, items, effects, monster sprites, etc) whereas Chrono Trigger is more tightly focused on level-building (maps, events, strings, etc.).  Both games have tools available in other areas, but these are their strengths.

Final Fantasy VI also seems to have a lot more dedicated hackers available, which might make it easier to figure stuff out.
This is the patent age of new inventions -/- For killing bodies, and for saving souls, -/- All propagated with the best intentions. --Lord Byron