Phantasy Star II Improvement v4.4 | ReConstruct: Phantasy Star IV v1.2

Started by FlamePurge, May 21, 2012, 03:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamePurge

yeah, but i'll manage. anyhow don't expect it anytime soon, i've had it on the backburner since 2016.

anyway this isn't related to phantasy star
Check out and discuss my projects

lan-vuhoang

Also, you don't need to rewrite the whole script. The bad translation is what gives this game its charm, after all. Just clean it up. ;)

FlamePurge

Volcannon

Any way to make the movement speed for Reconstruct PSIV faster?
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

FlamePurge

i'm sure there is but i find the movement speed in PSIV fine. i might try to look into it

lan-vuhoang

8. If possible, reinsert the SNES version's unused descriptions for Ryu's dragon forms. See the TCRF page for more details on those.
9. A font overhaul. The original font is okay, but there are some errors, such as the position of the ".." character being centered instead of at the bottom, like the "." character.
10. Better descriptions for spells. Here are some that I can think of:
Spark: "Fire stone Single" -> "Fireball. Single enemy"
Cold: "Ice stone Single" -> "Icefall. Single enemy"
Thunder: "Thunder arrow All" -> "Thunderbolt. All enemies"
Or just make them like BOF1.

FlamePurge

ok thank you. stop talking about breath of fire in my phantasy star topic please.

FlamePurge

I think it's taken me over a year, but I finished the new appendices in ReConstruct: PSIV. Upon rereading them, I actually noticed a few formatting errors, but no information errors, so I consider them fine to release.

91-MPH

Besides the bin roms, will these Romhacks also work on the md files?

FlamePurge

I don't think they will. You'd probably need an MD -> BIN converter.

lan-vuhoang

1. Couldn't download your PSIII addendum patch in time before the post with the link was removed. Another link?
2. I think that players who want an authentic experience should play the raw Bugfix patches. These patches, especially PS2 Improvement with the reworked equipment, seems to made too many changes that it requires a whole new mindset to get the complete experience. The bugfix, however, has an experience close to the original, so it's easy to recommend for purists. For example, the PSIV walkthrough that I used while playing as a kid on my iPad has the in-game names for items, so switching to Decapitalization (or ReConstruct as it was called now) feel like a whole new experience.
3. If you don't have the addendum anymore, could you at least make a version of Text Cleanup with the original tech names and Bugfix compability? Some people like the original script more than the retranslation, you know.

FlamePurge

1. [link removed] i sent this to you months ago, idk why you didn't download it then
2. ok. that's your problem, not mine
3. no. the official made-up english script for PSIII is shitty garbage and i don't support it anymore

lan-vuhoang

Okay, gone through the intro and made my first save, and the PS3 addendum patch is looking great! Though some of the changes in the retranslation that carried over to here is kinda confusing. For example, the Short Swd was renamed to SoldrSwrd (Soldier Sword). It was easy to figure it out, but I have played PS3 a few times as a kid on my iPad, and even went to 3rd gen once, so I was familliar with some stuff, like this line from TheStarbird's walkthrough: "Back in Landen, sell the Knife and buy Rhys a Short Sword and equip it." that having a different name for the Short Sword kinda bothers me.

FlamePurge

lan-vuhoang

Since I couldn't find a good thread to bump this:
Your newly-released "Breath of Fire II - Nina's Sensible Spells" patch, when ported to GBA, would fit well with a BOF2 GBA text cleanup.

FlamePurge

I don't know how I'd port it to GBA.

Please PM me or something about this stuff. Stop posting about things unrelated to the topic at hand. This is the fourth time now I've had to tell you. Stop.

Emptyeye

So I recently streamed through the PSII Improvement with the addenda patches applied to the Steam version. It was great--in previous playthroughs of the game, I typically used either the strategy guide, or at least maps of the dungeons. This was my first time going through the game "blind", so to speak (Though being aware of some of the nastier tricks it pulls definitely helped). The double walking speed and 2X exp/meseta gains in the addendum patch made the game a whole lot less tedious, while still being challenging! More musing than a request for this, but I feel like you (general you) could halve the encounter rate while doubling the gains a second time and still maintain that challenge. The extra equipment also helps for making other characters (Especially Kain, the Wave Shot is great) more viable. This would definitely be the way I'd recommend playing through the game for anyone thinking about it!

I did want to report something as well. I'll admit it's been a while since I played "Vanilla PSII", so this *could* be a vanilla bug, but I don't think it is. It may not even be a big deal; the Dark Force battle can be frustrating and random no matter your level, so I'll take any advantage I can get. But in that battle, if a character using a 2-handed weapon gets affected by the "fights less furiously" curse, it seems they....actually fight more furiously, gaining the ability to attack twice beginning on the second round after the curse, and lasting until the Neisword procs. You can see an example of this here; it happens in the first couple minutes of the battle to both "Jamz" equipped with the Neishot and "PJ" with the Wave Gun.

Either way, though, great job on the Improvement!

FlamePurge

FlamePurge

Very small update for PSII Improvement. I traded around the levels at which Rolf learns Zan (Now LV 5) and Gifoi (Now LV 7). I've uploaded it to Steam, too. Currently, the RHDN version number is incorrect but I've just submitted a fix.

Because I traded two battle techs and did not change their acquisition levels, this is compatible with older saves. Thanks.

Edit - RHDN versioning is now correct

Psxphile

First, let me say that you've got some great hacks here, especially PSII Improvement which has been my go-to PS2 hack for a while now and it's the one I recommend to anyone who asks (PSII newbies, usually) on some of the other forums I visit.

Second, I'm curious to know if you've ever considered altering the way map scrolling works in PSII. As we all know, your party can get pretty close to the edge of the screen before the maps start scrolling. I've always seen this as a flaw in vanilla PSII, and except for one brief instance a few years ago, I've yet to seen any hacker attempt to correct this so that the characters remain centered on-screen at all times (except for reaching a map's edge, of course). Like I said, it was attempted before ("Less Stupid Camera" by LancerECNM) but the implementation was less than desirable, which is probably what prompted RHDN to remove the link to the patch (but oddly not the page).

I'm just wondering if its feasible to implement in PSII Improvement. Something closer to what vanilla PSIV does would be ideal I think... or do players actually like how the screen scrolls as-is? I can't imagine.

Thanks for reading.