News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Edit a cps3 game, street fighter 3 third strike.  (Read 7391 times)

Maleek

• View Profile
Edit a cps3 game, street fighter 3 third strike.
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:52:47 pm »
Hi, i'm a new comer to the hack gaming's community. Please excuse me in advance for my rough english, i'm not that at my ease with it yet, do not hesitate to correct my mistake ^^

So, to make the history short, I'm a huge fan and a big gamer of the street fighter's serie, particulary of Street fighter 3 third strike on cps3 system.
I truly think it's a really good game, probably my favorite of all time. But to me, I kinda feel that the casting, some graphics elements and other details are somewhat "wrong".
So my goal is to correct what I feel wrong in the game in order to the game the way I really want it.

I don't understand a thing in game hacking, so I need to know if what I want to do is possible or not.

Here's my main goal :

- Remove some moves for some character, like enable a character to do a Hadoken for exemple.
- Edit the sprite of some character, add some graphic elements to them, like a pants or a hat for exemple. ( I know i'll have to redraw all sprite )
- Add some new stage from the earlier version of the game ( second impact ).
- Add some new minor stuff.

I know that if I want to change some character's graphics elements, I'll have to redraw the sprite frame by frame. I want to know if it's possible to include them ingame, and how ^^

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Edit a cps3 game, street fighter 3 third strike.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:07:15 am »
I don't understand a thing in game hacking, so I need to know if what I want to do is possible or not.

Someone else just posted about this and got no response.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14318.msg207532.html#msg207532
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »
Hey I'm a newb here too.  So take this for what it is. 
Everything you wan't to do is certainly within the realm of possibility.  However, and don't take this the wrong way, if you don't understand a thing about game hacking than its not going to be at all possible for you to do this.  You are also unlikely to find someone who wants to do these hacks for you.  Unless one of the hackers here stumble on to your thread and think your ideas are gold.  If you are serious about it find out if there is a dissassembler or debugger for cps3 games and learn the assembly language for the system.  Start figuring things out for yourself and people will be more willing to help you if they see you putting in a lot of effort to do this.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck.

Maleek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:07 pm »
I perfectly understand  ;)

I'll try to enumerate step by step what I do/plan to do.

I have the rom of the game I want to edit. I think if I want to start to edit ingame stuff, I have to edit the rom itself by the inside.

As you all know, you have to keep the rom zipped in order to play them. So i've unzipped the rom I want to edit, is there the good way to go ?
If it is, here's what I found : http://hpics.li/4daebd4

A loads of unopenable files... So first, I think that I'll need a software to read them. Am I right ?

The rom I want to edit is a capcom play system III's game (cps3). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_III
I want someone to tell me if I'll need a specific software for cps3 system, or if I could go with any of the rom editing system ?

I know that you don't mod a 1997's game with the same software you would need for snes game, so what kind of software will I need ?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
Here's a tip: if it was really that easy for someone who "don't understand a thing in game hacking" to do something like this, then given how popular SF3 is, there would be hundreds of hacks out there for SF3 already.  (And at least a third of them would feature gratuitous nudity.)

If I'm not mistaken, CPS3 ROMs are encrypted and there is no straightforward way at this time to extract graphics, edit them, and put them back in.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Maleek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, CPS3 ROMs are encrypted and there is no straightforward way at this time to extract graphics, edit them, and put them back in.

I don't search for a "simple" way or a shortcut, if the path is harsh I'll take it no matter what. I want to edit this game, it doesn't matter if that take hard work. I'll do it. If I have to learn how to rom hack, I'll do it.

I hardly believe it is impossible or too hard. We're talking about editing a stupid computer game file. 
I can't believe it is as hard as you make it sounds to be.

But my goal is to edit this game, I don't want to learn just for the pleasure to learn rom hacking.

All I need is someone who can tell me the right way to learn, in order to achieve my goal.

So, you told me CPS3 game are encrypted ? What that does mean in Rom Hacking ?

Does that mean that the linecode are not righted in common language ? Does that mean that I can't access to the system file ?

There must be a way to read the file inside the rom ?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:44:27 pm by Maleek »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:15 pm »
I don't search for a "simple" way or a shortcut, if the path is harsh I'll take it no matter what. I want to edit this game, it doesn't matter if that take hard work. I'll do it. If I have to learn how to rom hack, I'll do it.
Do you think you're the first person who has felt that way, then?

I hardly believe it is impossible or too hard. We're talking about editing a stupid computer game file. 
I can't believe it is as hard as you make it sounds to be.
Believe it.  See also The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners.

So, you told me CPS3 game are encrypted ? What that does mean in Rom Hacking ?
It means exactly what it means in any other context.  Think of it as "password protection", but much more elaborate.  Capcom went out of their way to make it extremely difficult to change anything in the game.

Does that mean that the linecode are not righted in common language ? Does that mean that I can't access to the system file ?
With very few exceptions, nothing in any ROM is written in an easily readable language.

I'll let someone else who knows more jump in at this point, if someone feels like it.

CWheezy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:34 am »
http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/fixing-street-fighter-three.6186/#post-182738

I would like to point you to this post, and to the guy doubting, take a lok at these videos, showing third strike as already modded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmOjyB5j0jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vs8ateOoX8&feature=relmfu

Unfortunately everything so far is in japanese, so if you can help me figure out what is what, that would be appreciated