News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: You can convert Dezaemon SFC Save files into "BS-X Version" standalones.  (Read 2179 times)

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
Hey guys. I thought it'd be a nice idea to post this in case it's relevant to anyone's theoretical projects at ROMHacking - apologies if it's not exactly in the right section.

I'll start by linking my Satellablog article and such;
It's possible to edit Dezaemon saves into BS-X Shooting and vice versa.
It has some details and some example ROMs.

The page currently dabbles into some of how it works technically and whatnot (which I may remove if there's a demand for obscurity but I doubt that'll be necessary), but basically swapping in bytes from an SRAM into bytes in the ROM does the trick well.

I don't really know much the history of people dabbling in editing Dezaemon SRAM around here, but I figured that if anyone was put off by their user-made content being basically "Open source", doing this conversion is probably the best solution, as the "BS-X Version" ROM will simply play the game with no editing capability, -and- the data will be more obscured than in a SRAM file. Therefore, I'm hoping this is of interest to anyone here.

Feel free to use this thread to either request from me to convert a Dezaemon save into a "BS-X Shooting" hack or to post one up of one you may have done yourself. Or anything like that. Or to discuss Dezaemon in some other manner. I know I'm still looking for "Sugoi STG" and "Crystal Guardian" the other two official "BS-X Version" Dezaemons, after all.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I think I asked on the bsnes board, but is there a device that would let me dump a Dezaemon SRAM myself?
A bit hesitant about mailing out my games, for fear of getting lost (even if Dezaemon can be a cheap game to replace, or expensive depending on where you try to buy from.)

(I know I mentioned there I tried a tototek dumper and RPG Maker 2, but it would only dump half the SRAM (32 of 64K).)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
I was also considering trying to SRAM dump Dezaemon carts and wanted the answer to that - but I'd assume it's "no", considering how it's the largest SRAM size known to exist and it's format is unique to itself. I know it took a long while to dump the SRAM off BS-X Cartridges because no dumpers supported them previously. The current batch of Dezaemon saves I archived were all done in an emulated setup.

Various RPG Tsukuru 2 (As well as Kanaderu and Sound Novel Tsukuru) saves have been dumped from 8M Memory Packs, if you're interested in looking at those. Supposedly it's possible to convert them into a SRAM file, even. Unfortunately I know nothing else about dumping from the ASCII games, and I've been trying to focus on seeing whether or not it'd be possible and worth the effort to dump from the ASCII Turbo Files.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I wonder if there's a chance Retrode will? I know the purpose of that device is to allow emulators to play original SNES/Genesis carts (by treating the cart as a USB Mass Storage device), so hopefully there will be a means to with that.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018