News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Akira!  (Read 29784 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Akira!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:06 am »
There's been one in the works for years now. Every once in a while it gets cancelled then revived. The last incarnation was cancelled.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:09 am »
There's been one in the works for years now. Every once in a while it gets cancelled then revived. The last incarnation was cancelled.

I know the film has been in "development hell" for years now. I didn't realize the recent incarnation had been canceled as well. Considering that they had a director hired and have been working on casting the movie. I know that with the way special effects work today (CGI) that they could recreate the amazing powers that were given to Tetsuo and particularly the amazing climax, but I just don't know if the film would have the same impact that the original Anime had. Having said that, I would still pay money to check it out.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:47:00 am by Klaviaturist »
Just a guy that likes horror flicks.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 11:21:54 am »
They turned Kaneda into a bar owner.

You would not want to pay money to see this, or to see it period.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 03:55:20 pm »
Glad to see this finally got released. Congrats, danke. :thumbsup:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 01:47:52 am »
I uploaded an updated patch fixing the ending. Seems an insertion error made it nearly impossible to beat the game. That should be all fixed now. (Shows how many of you actually played the game...)

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »
Where can i find that patch ?

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 06:41:56 pm »
Isn't that the old patch ?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
Currently, the patch on the project page has a file date of May 9th.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 07:05:57 am »
It's the updated version. I approved it myself.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »
The original version was 0.99. The updated is 0.995. It's there. Trust me.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 03:43:25 pm »
I'm definitely pleased to see this, not the least reason being Akira is my favorite piece of anime of all time.

Seriously? Hmm... I thought it was OK, but over hyped... it seemed like the story was all over the place with little coherency. It was worth a watch at least. I know I'd like to read the comic since the story is better fleshed out.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »
I was never a huge fan of the anime. It's heralded as some great milestone in Japanese animation and what not, but from a Western viewpoint, it's a little hard to follow I guess. The manga isn't -much- clearer, but there's a lot more of a story to it, and it, naturally, continues on after the movie ends... With the Akira Empire and all that. I think it's a movie everyone should watch once for the sake of watching it because of its classic status, but watching it more than once a year would be crazy. Or, you know, play testing the game hundreds of times, too. That's a little crazy. And bound to make you hate the movie a lot.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:32 am »
I just saw the movie yesterday and yeah - basically I hated it. Not my type at all.

There is literally zero fun from the beginning to the end, I don't get a clue of what's happening, there is continuous meaningless violence during all the movie, and it's quite scary.
It's like the exact opposite of the vast majority of animes which are full of clever humour, which is what I like about animes.

So yeah I'll most definitely pass the game. Sorry if this is rude, but why does translators put efforts to translate bad games when there is still good games that are untranslated ?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:07 am »
Because there are demands for games such as this. It was in Japanese, so how were people supposed to know what it was like? And the game itself isn't bad. It's a challenging text adventure with great graphics for the NES. And it's based on a famous movie that wasn't shovelware. People see "Akira" and get excited.

KaioShin

• RHDN Supporter
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:50 am »
And that's exactly why Akira is so important... because it's not another silly children entertainment flick but a serious movie for adults. Akira was the one thing that established that Japanese animation is different from US cartoons by being not just for kids (not saying this was or is in fact true, but back when the movie came out that was the opinion of the vast majority of people).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:10 am »
So yeah I'll most definitely pass the game. Sorry if this is rude, but why does translators put efforts to translate bad games when there is still good games that are untranslated ?
- Due to technical or legal difficulty, some translations aren’t going to happen. Or at least not soon.
- Scope matters. In general, older games involve less work. Less work means it’s more likely to get done. A good game often also means a big game.
- We can’t pick all winners all the time. There are so many untranslated games, that if you picked the first project you crossed, chances are there’s a better project you missed. Nothing wrong with that, by the way.
- Why let Japan have all the kusoge? People seem to be misguided, thinking Japan keeps all the cool stuff to themselves. But actually, they’re often putting their best foot forward when it comes to exports, so a lot of the worst games there never get put into another language. Fan translations touch an area here that for-profit companies never will.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 06:22:55 am »
Yeah, it's true people often see the exeptions (like Seiken Densestsu 3 not being translted officially) and complain about it, but they misses the tons of bad games that are untranslated too.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 09:21:55 am »
I just saw the movie yesterday and yeah - basically I hated it. Not my type at all.

There is literally zero fun from the beginning to the end, I don't get a clue of what's happening, there is continuous meaningless violence during all the movie, and it's quite scary.
It's like the exact opposite of the vast majority of animes which are full of clever humour, which is what I like about animes.

Sheesh... I wouldn't bash it that bash it that bad. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just a bit all over the place...

I also wonder how much Japanese cartoons you watch... a lot of them are serious, some depressing. Or maybe I've been watching and reading a specific subset of them...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
HELP!! GLITCH!?!?!?!

the very first scene whene you are captured and interrogated. You have two choices. TALK and LOOK

both lead to a game over

great game guys.