News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Managed to read Star Fox SNES ROM using VL-Tone guides. I need more info.  (Read 94074 times)

Stef

• View Profile
Re: Managed to read Star Fox SNES ROM using VL-Tone guides. I need more info.
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Hey Dyson,

I don't know if you are still around but i wanted to post some news... My laptop never appeared as i expected but anyway my motivation never gone at least ;) Lately i spent sometime in improving the 3D rendering part on the megadrive. I improved a bit the performance, not a big boost over the previous version to be honest but still a bit faster. Now i need to get hands back in the starfox format itself, i just read the whole topic and i am ready to spent sometime in figuring the last unknowns in the header format :) I will keep the topic updated with my future findings...

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2013, 12:16:50 pm »
I'm still around.  ;D
Oculus Rift got me into the "star fox decoding" mode again but I've made little to no progress for myself.

It is good to know you are still interested! I'll try and find an excuse to decode the rom while at work. xD
It would be awesome to get the starfox rom running in the Oculus Rift, I'll definitely try that.

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2013, 01:51:00 pm »
Glad to see you around ;) Well i will try to work a bit on the level decoder so i can do fast level data rip for tests, i think that may help me to figure the remaining unknown data. Having Starfox in the Oculus Rift could be really cool but could hurt our eyes X'D

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »
Glad to see you around ;) Well i will try to work a bit on the level decoder so i can do fast level data rip for tests, i think that may help me to figure the remaining unknown data. Having Starfox in the Oculus Rift could be really cool but could hurt our eyes X'D

Awesome news! Glad to see you are around here too. xD

One of the first things I tried with the Oculus was the Virtual Boy emulator and played Red Alarm. It was very cool, SNES StarFox might not be a bar idea with this. :D
This is not my video but just in case you are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2_zxss_mAU
:D
I've started learning unity so even if it takes time it might work.

henryhenryd

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2013, 07:41:25 am »
Hi guys

I was wondering whether I could get a bit of help. I've been doing a hack of Star Fox but I've become quite stuck.
I'm trying  to make the Hud invisible (shield bar, boost, bombs, lives) but I'm having a lot of trouble finding those elements in the code.

I think i've located them with vsnes but then I'm having difficulty finding that place again within a hex ed or tile editor.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Cheers

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:21 am »
To be honest the HUD is a part we did not explored at all but i guess you can just exam the rom to find the HUD graphics data and replace it by transparent graphics data so you won't have to even patch code.