News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Managed to read Star Fox SNES ROM using VL-Tone guides. I need more info.  (Read 94087 times)

Stef

• View Profile
Re: Managed to read Star Fox SNES ROM using VL-Tone guides. I need more info.
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:56 am »
Yeah the objects_extra comes from the SFXEdit application, it is the rip i did just to get object name.
I use it to feed object's name in my object decoder tool :)

Glad you fixed your decoder :) The video looks really nice... and exciting :D
Indeed i saw there are many objects with a face dedicated to animated color or texture (the face color information can indicate a specific texture). There is also many objects having a single face with a texture (used for asteroid level mostly).

Yesterday i made some progress on animated objects decoding, i hope to get them soon  !
I'll post an update of my tool as soon this is done so you can update your code to handle them =)

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:42 am »
Awesome!
Do you want this appl now of when it is finished?
I can post the source too. :D

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:56 am »
Well i think it's better to have animated objects handled as well so we can have a real object viewer (as the SFXEdit actually) except that data is directly parsed from the rom and we understand how the process is done :)

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 07:34:50 am »
Perfect! I'm doing a bit on the color palettes. I should probably got to work too. xD
I spend a while trying to find the damn color table and just in case anyone wants to do this in the future I while leave this here.
Mattrizzle had written the correct address before, I should really read back on the thread! xD
I seem to have the headered one.
The data for them begins at $18E0A in the ROM ($1900A headered).

@Stef
Also, I think Star Fox lies to you about shadows. I was curious about why there are so many Objects tagged as "shadow" and I think it is because of this, every triangle on those should be tagged in the same group (for simplicity) all with the same color, a very specific FY or YF, Y being a dark color and F being transparent (F or 0, can't remember). Then, since the color rendering in StarFox is very much flat you get a shadow. Whats more, if it is not transparent then the shadow ship could have, for example, "Corneria surface" green as another non transparent color... making a shadow.
The position should be on on top of the fictional ground level with the displacement values calculated using the light vertex. Scaling can be changed with size equal to the normal ship when you are close to the ground.

More news:
I've implemented the two first color tables and am about to move to the animated stuff. :P

Even more news:
Light sourced palette, solid Color palette and animated color palette working perfectly for 13 82 for all models!  :D :P
The eyes and the tail "shine"!
These palettes of course include all variantes, daytime, nightime and space and some I don't remember.
I also set a key to show wireframe. Some of the models are not decoded correctly and using wireframe has helped me out.

Better news:
Here is a video of some models with their correct palettes, mostly 13 82. I've disabled only the palettes that crash my application.
https://vimeo.com/60055669
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:36:23 am by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:31 am »
Wow you progress so quickly, well done !
Unfortunately i have only few time to work on the project right now :-/
I only implemented the "13 82" palette right now, do the others palette are often used ? Just to know if i should also add support for them. In this case i will have to parse palette address from the object header.

About the shadow, i think you are right, they probably use the "shadow" models for that but that mean it almost double all objects transform calculations and rendering !

I'm continue my work on the animated data, i almost figured it out :) I still have some parsing bugs to fix and questions on some point (BSPTree node which do not reference any triangle for instance).
I hope to get that this evening after my job day :)

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:04 am »
I only implemented the "13 82" palette right now, do the others palette are often used ? Just to know if i should also add support for them. In this case i will have to parse palette address from the object header.
Lets see, this is what I have:
552 Obj Addresses
 13 Point at negative addresses
375 Objs point to 8213
 35 Objs point to 82ed
 10 Objs point to 83c1
  7 Objs point to 852e (I believe these are animated textures)

Then there are many other adddresses that make little to no sense. Specially since the are too varied. For example:
Code: [Select]
8542 8542 8542 8544 8544 8546 8548 8548 8552 8552 8552 8554 8556 8558 8560 8560

I've chosen to block any address reference that is not the first too that I've mentioned, just in case. I changed them with 8213.

About the shadow, i think you are right, they probably use the "shadow" models for that but that mean it almost double all objects transform calculations and rendering !
Thought the same but I think the SuperFX can handle it.

I'm continue my work on the animated data, i almost figured it out :) I still have some parsing bugs to fix and questions on some point (BSPTree node which do not reference any triangle for instance).
I hope to get that this evening after my job day :)
I have to work too! xD Good luck!

I've also implemented faces composed of 2 vertices, meaning lines. This makes it way easier to spot the models and guess some stuff about them. Those flashy antennas now glow! It also makes powerups look awesome and for example, there are 4 "Shielded Enemy" starting with B8DE, the wireframe shows me that they are not 4 different enemies but the same one, 3 of it's frames are for when it is cloaking.

Important: Now I'm in search of the texture addresses in case anybody has them! I don't mean the snes sprites, I mean the addresses for the textures which have to be read in a certain way, but if you have the addresses for the sprites I wouldn't mind those either. :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:04:09 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »
I guess you got your 552 objects from the SFXEdit app, i still not yet found where others objects are located.
I could use the SFXEdit addr too but i really want to find them from the rom too :)
Thanks for the statistics, that show that, indeed, 1382 is mainly used... i will probably wait to implement the other one :p

It's nice to see the object display in semi wireframe, their method is simple but efficient to display hybrid object :)

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »
I guess you got your 552 objects from the SFXEdit app, i still not yet found where others objects are located.
I could use the SFXEdit addr too but i really want to find them from the rom too :)
I agree of course but I think that is far more complicated for me. I'm basically following your progresss and adding a bit of guesswork.
I also have this idea. Here is an 720p video I made a few hours ago and I will post it in some forums, reddit and maybe others. I'm thinking somebody with more knowledge might want to help.
https://vimeo.com/60089406

Thanks for the statistics, that show that, indeed, 1382 is mainly used... i will probably wait to implement the other one :p
I did the palettes changeable from the start using the headers. They are displayed by object if they correspond to the following four palettes, 8213, 82ed, 83c1, 85e2. VL-Tone mentioned that there were 9 and I'm guessing the ROM has references to them in plain sight.
I found those four by setting 8213 as a default, then found some models with colors that I didn't remember from the game and checked if their own palettes worked.
Also, at the beginning of the video you will see the High poly in daytime, nighttime and space using the 16 color variants. :P

It's nice to see the object display in semi wireframe, their method is simple but efficient to display hybrid object :)
I think this can be perfectly applied to making modern "retro" games.

I am particularly intrigued by the Andross face model because it is VERY fluent compared to some other animations.
Also, If anybody knows the texture addresses and sprite addresses let me know. :P

I checked a bit for some palette addresses I had seen before and I also verified the contents. What was weird about these two is that the colors seemed to be the same so I checked and the values for 13 82 and ed 82 are very similar in content. Here are some other palettes that I think work.

183D8 -> D881 (59 values Very short!)
18413 -> 1382 (218 values that make up the 109 that were mentioned before in the thread. This is the most common palette in Star Fox SNES)
184ED -> ed82 (212 values)
185C1 -> c183 (64 values)
18681 -> 8184 (265 values)
1878A -> 8485 (Could never get it to run, crashed my app)

Also, they are consecutive in the ROM meaning no jumping around. I bet they are all there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:21:18 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »
After many work i think i finally figured the animated vertex (my first implementation was partially wrong)... I had to change a bit my structure to adapt to it. If you look into the sources you will see that animated data are not as easy to handle than others type, i hope you will understand my code.
Also i fixed some others stuff and tried to parse as many objects i can from the rom, i have now about 550 objects.
There is still some bugs i can't figure... data look wrong in some case: some models should have 32 frames but only vertex data for 20 frames is present...

Here's the last version of my decoder application, sources are included in the jar file.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/sfx/sfxObjReader.jar

I agree of course but I think that is far more complicated for me. I'm basically following your progresss and adding a bit of guesswork.
I also have this idea. Here is an 720p video I made a few hours ago and I will post it in some forums, reddit and maybe others. I'm thinking somebody with more knowledge might want to help.
https://vimeo.com/60089406

The video is really cool, nice object viewer with cool music =)
I don't know if you will find other interested people for that project, honestly that is a really complex and long task to analyze and extract data from rom, specially when we are not used to rom hacking :p

I did the palettes changeable from the start using the headers. They are displayed by object if they correspond to the following four palettes, 8213, 82ed, 83c1, 85e2. VL-Tone mentioned that there were 9 and I'm guessing the ROM has references to them in plain sight.
I found those four by setting 8213 as a default, then found some models with colors that I didn't remember from the game and checked if their own palettes worked.

I think i will quickly add support to all palettes as it doesn't make a big difference :)
Daytime / nightime / space variation is independent from the palette object information so we can easily change them !

I am particularly intrigued by the Andross face model because it is VERY fluent compared to some other animations.
Also, If anybody knows the texture addresses and sprite addresses let me know. :P

Unfortunately i did not yet have tried to understand where are the texture address, i know you can get them from palette but i never investigated in that. Honestly texture is not my first preoccupation right now as they are not much used in game.

183D8 -> D881 (59 values Very short!)
18413 -> 1382 (218 values that make up the 109 that were mentioned before in the thread. This is the most common palette in Star Fox SNES)
184ED -> ed82 (212 values)
185C1 -> c183 (64 values)
18681 -> 8184 (265 values)
1878A -> 8485 (Could never get it to run, crashed my app)

Should not your last palette address be 8A85 instead of 8485 ??

Also, they are consecutive in the ROM meaning no jumping around. I bet they are all there.

Cool, that make them even simpler to decode =)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:32:57 pm by Stef »

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 06:43:49 pm »
After many work i think i finally figured the animated vertex (my first implementation was partially wrong)... I had to change a bit my structure to adapt to it. If you look into the sources you will see that animated data are not as easy to handle than others type, i hope you will understand my code.
Also i fixed some others stuff and tried to parse as many objects i can from the rom, i have now about 550 objects.
There is still some bugs i can't figure... data look wrong in some case: some models should have 32 frames but only vertex data for 20 frames is present...

Here's the last version of my decoder application, sources are included in the jar file.
GREAT! :D Thank you!

Should not your last palette address be 8A85 instead of 8485 ??
Yes I think you are right.
By the way, I just noticed that the D881 palette that I mentioned as the first has whole bunch of XX 3F before which if you include those values makes it palette a fixed color palette and it starts at... 18200! This cannot be random, non of the numbers has been. ;)

I think I will take some time away from this to do some time off my computer! xD
But I will keep trying and reading :D

News from guesswork!
Before I "go" I was curious about finding the textures and I did it! :P
I've been curious about color conversion from SNES->RGB and it turns out that when VL-Tone made his applications he chose not to "correct"(?) the color and keep it as is. The great thing about this is that I opened up photoshop and compared VL-Tone's two texture pages and converted them manually to Hex and looked for the string in the ROM. This worked perfectly! :P
Texture data starts at $90200 and uses EXACTLY the method VL-Tone described:
As many figured out textures are stored as two 256x256 pages using 4 bits per pixel (they use the same 16 colors palette). The pages are interleaved meaning that for each XY$ byte in hex, X is used for page 1 and Y for page 2.
Here is the proof, and on the right is the use of XX 49 (64x64 Texture Polar Mapping Down Left) and the XX 4A (64x64 Texture Polar Mapping Down Right)

I'll be out of town for a few days but I wanted to show you guys it works. :P
It has artefacts around it because it was resized by openGL byt I plan on fixing that at some point.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:49:37 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:52 am »
Wow, well done dyson ! You get out the texture part :) Look really nice !

So now i think we almost have complete object decoding :D
In my object decoder i still have some invalid objects (about 40 over 550) but i don't really care ;)
I think i will see texture part later as i am using 4bpp bitmap surface and doing software texture mapping with 4bpp surface is a bit tricky ^^

Well now we need to figure a bit more about level decoding ! There is some informations on this so i guess it will be easier.
Almost some parts will need to be "hardcoded" as behavior or stuff like that.

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:50 am »
So now i think we almost have complete object decoding :D
In my object decoder i still have some invalid objects (about 40 over 550) but i don't really care ;)
I think i will see texture part later as i am using 4bpp bitmap surface and doing software texture mapping with 4bpp surface is a bit tricky ^^
Great! Do you happen to have a list of valid objects? How have you determined that an object is or isn't valid?
Because it turns out, when I added the textures my program would crash (very probably bad coding by myself)

Well now we need to figure a bit more about level decoding ! There is some informations on this so i guess it will be easier.
Almost some parts will need to be "hardcoded" as behavior or stuff like that.
I'll see if I can dig up something but I don't see anything but the info VL-Tone had posted on that old forum. The big problem I see here is that now it is more about the timing of the game (ztimer?). I think faking that value would be easy but it would be more accurate to actually emulate the SuperFX. Whats worse is colision detection, where is that? is it just bounding box?
I think I came across the "shadow" palette while reprogramming mi app and I also think the jukebox enemy is made up of the jukebox plus the three rotating things inside it.
Something bad, I found out the texture placing is just weird and easier to do by hand (like 80 textures with horrible variable offset values) but if you want accuracy in coding I think you will have to read more on the SuperFX.
Decompiling the SFXedit 0.93.exe (that uses the ROM) or the StarfoxDecoder.dcr (that uses ripped models) might be useful but that exceeds my programming knowledge, as does recoding every new discovery (like adding textures to old code).

Anyways, the lack of documentation and proper programming/ROM hacking knowledge (from me) is making this very frustrating so I will not be working too much on this anymore. I will however be reading up and since I have to learn more c++  for work so I will eventually be remaking the code.

...but I won't leave the thread, I would like very much to see your progress and new codes! :D
I won't disappear, I am easily reachable since I've posted this Star Fox thing in a few places, they all point to a usable email account.

And how can I post my source code? someone could very well continue! I made it using openframeworks of_v0073_win_cb_release.

I also posted the info and request for help in this thread here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=62544

Here is something I captured from the latest version I made. This is the version that crashed on some models (not sure if it was only in the corrupt ones).
Also notice, I've managed to let the textures pixelate even on high resolutions, I wanted textures with aliasing. :P

@Stef
I tried getting the frames one last time and I hit dead end again. I'm not sure I understand the process and how the information is stored. How does one know which vertex is being "animated" (changed) and how does your frame offset work (practicaly).
I changed the examples to two very distinct animations. One is a pillar with variable height over one axis only (easy to draw too) and the other is the Hydra with flapping wings that oddly gives out more info after the "frames". VL-Tone had those frames in the SFXedit 0.93.exe but not in the StarfoxDecoder.dcr , I am thinking they are other kinds of transformations but I am just guessing. Anyways, the Hydra one exceeds the offset assumption. Also, the pillar one only moves 4 vertices of 8, I think it is the easiest example.

49B4 Growing column
Animation 49B4
About 16 frames
Number 75
Description: Column with a square base and variable height (animation)
---------------------------------
49B4 Growing column
Header Address: 3649
Bank:              c
Vert. Address: 6098b
Face Address:  60a83

Vertex Information:
38 ($38) X flip vertex list
02 Two sides
07 00 F6 Side 1 Mirrored [7,0,-10] and [-7,0,-10] accounts for 2 vertex
F9 00 0A Side 2 Mirrored [-7,0, 10] and [7,0, 10] accounts for 2 vertex
1C ($1C) animated vertex list
20 Frame Count $20 means 32 frames (16 more than expected)
3F Frame offset $3F = 63+1 = 64
00 48
00 51
00 5A
00 63
00 6C
00 75
00 7E
00 87
00 90
00 99
00 A2
00 AB
00 B4
00 BD
00 C6
00 1F
00 1D
00 1B
00 19
00 17
00 15
00 13
00 11
00 0F
00 0D
00 0B
00 09
00 07
00 05
00 03
00 01
00 Offset points here, end of some part.

// Here begin the Other parts of the model.
07 F1 F6 [7,-15,-10] and [-7,-15,-10]
07 F1 0A [7,-15, 10] and [-7,-15,-10]
20 // 16 bits offset jump
A3 Frame offset $A3 = 163+1 = 164 // Here I got lost
07 E7 F6
07 E7 0A
98 00 38 02 07 DF F6 07 DF 0A
20 8D 00 38 02 07 DA F6 07 DA
0A 20 82 00 38 02 07 D3 F6 07
D3 0A 20 77 00 38 02 07 CC F6
07 CC 0A 20 6C 00 38 02 07 C3
F6 07 C3 0A 20 61 00 38 02 07
BA F6 07 BA 0A 20 56 00 38 02
07 B1 F6 07 B1 0A 20 4B 00 38
02 07 B5 F6 07 B5 0A 20 40 00
38 02 07 BE F6 07

2fb9 Plasma Hydra Boss body

Animation 2fb9
About 10 frames
Description: Plasma Hydra with wings flapping
---------------------------------
Header Address: 3b2f
Bank:              c
Vert. Address: 62659
Face Address:  62738

Vertex Information:
04 ($04) Type 04 Non Mirrored
00 00 EC
00 D8 F6
00 14 1E
00 00 28
09 9 Mirrored Vertex
0A 28 E2 Mirrored
19 00 F1 Mirrored
E4 FB F6 Mirrored
FA F6 F6 Mirrored
E2 0A FB Mirrored
F6 14 00 Mirrored
1E 00 0A Mirrored
08 FB 0A Mirrored
F6 0A 0F Mirrored
0A Frame Count $0A means 10 frames (Exactly as expected)
13 Frame offset $13 = 19+1 = 20
00 21
00 2F
00 3D
00 4B
00 59
00 67
00 75
00 83
00 91
00 04
02 // Something happens here, its at position 10, The following are 7 transformations?
14 EC EC
14 EC 38
1E 28
28 20 8E
00 04
02 14 11 EC EC
11 EC 38 01 1E 2F 24 20 7E 00 04 02 14 0D ED EC
0D ED 38 01 1E 34 1F 20 6E 00 04 02 14 0A EF EC
0A EF 38 01 1E 39 19 20 5E 00 04 02 14 09 F0 EC
09 F0 38 01 1E 3B 15 20 4E 00 04 02 12 07 F0 EE
07 F0 38 01 24 37 15 20 3E 00 04 02 10 06 F0 F0
06 F0 38 01 2A 32 15 20 2E 00 04 02 0B 05 F0 F5
05 F0 38 01 32 25 15 20 1E 00 04 02 05 06 F0 FA
06 F0 38 01 36 16 15 20 0E 00 04 02 08 05 F0 F8
05 F0 38 01 35 1E 15 0C 30 20 19 17 0E 0E 17 19
0F 16 18 18 16 0F 0B 0A 00 13 12 01 12 13 0A 0E
0F 00 0F 0E 05 03 13 01 01 12 03 03 14 13 12 15
03 03 15 14 04 05 02 05 14 02 02 15 04 14 15 02
13 14 11 13 11 08 14 0E 0C 0C 08 11 0C 07 08 0C
0E 00 00 0A 08 10 15 12 0B 09 10 10 0D 0F 10 09
0D 09 06 0D 06 00 0F 06 09 0B 3C 28 06 20 00 14
28 0D 27 00 04 44 2E 00 28 0F 9C 00 04 44 A3 00
44 E3 00 28 13 FD 00 04 44 05 01 44 17 01 14 04
06 0E 00 7B E1 12 13 0A 0B FF 14 03 0D 38 00 8A
D1 03 15 14 FF 14 03 04 0C 00 5A 5A 0B 0A 00 03
07 0C 00 A6 5A 0E 0F 00 03 12 12 09 29 88 13 14
11 03 15 0E 7E 0E 09 0C 08 11 03 16 10 6F FA 3D
0C 07 08 04 17 38 13 AC 5D 0C 0E 00 07 04 18 12
13 53 5E 00 0A 08 07 03 19 10 F7 29 88 10 15 12
03 1C 0C 82 0E 09 10 09 0D 03 1D 0E 91 FA 3D 09
06 0D 04 1E 38 ED AC 5D 06 00 0F 0D 04 1F 10 ED
53 5E 06 09 0B 00 FF 14 03 0F
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:26:07 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »
Great! Do you happen to have a list of valid objects? How have you determined that an object is or isn't valid?
Because it turns out, when I added the textures my program would crash (very probably bad coding by myself)

Actually invalid objects are the ones which are unamed and usually not interesting so they should not give any problems from this side.

I'll see if I can dig up something but I don't see anything but the info VL-Tone had posted on that old forum. The big problem I see here is that now it is more about the timing of the game (ztimer?). I think faking that value would be easy but it would be more accurate to actually emulate the SuperFX. Whats worse is colision detection, where is that? is it just bounding box?

I guess emulating ztimer is really easy, we just need a counter to decrement... bounding box is indeed another thing i would like to figure ! I guess it is bounding box but i would to find theirs definition :)

Anyways, the lack of documentation and proper programming/ROM hacking knowledge (from me) is making this very frustrating so I will not be working too much on this anymore. I will however be reading up and since I have to learn more c++  for work so I will eventually be remaking the code.

...but I won't leave the thread, I would like very much to see your progress and new codes! :D
I won't disappear, I am easily reachable since I've posted this Star Fox thing in a few places, they all point to a usable email account.

And how can I post my source code? someone could very well continue! I made it using openframeworks of_v0073_win_cb_release.

I also posted the info and request for help in this thread here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=62544

I understand and honestly it is a bit the same for me... now i need to advance my own implementation :)
Having almost all the objects is already a good start.
Of course it would be nice to get bounding boxes and more informations on level data but i need to work on my stuff else it will never progress !

Here is something I captured from the latest version I made. This is the version that crashed on some models (not sure if it was only in the corrupt ones).
Also notice, I've managed to let the textures pixelate even on high resolutions, I wanted textures with aliasing. :P

Look really nice with the pixelated texture, more "authentic" :D

I tried getting the frames one last time and I hit dead end again. I'm not sure I understand the process and how the information is stored. How does one know which vertex is being "animated" (changed) and how does your frame offset work (practicaly).
I changed the examples to two very distinct animations. One is a pillar with variable height over one axis only (easy to draw too) and the other is the Hydra with flapping wings that oddly gives out more info after the "frames". VL-Tone had those frames in the SFXedit 0.93.exe but not in the StarfoxDecoder.dcr , I am thinking they are other kinds of transformations but I am just guessing. Anyways, the Hydra one exceeds the offset assumption. Also, the pillar one only moves 4 vertices of 8, I think it is the easiest example.

You just did some minors mistakes in your decoding.
Here's my updated notes about the objects decoding :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/sfx/objects.txt

And also your vertex definition fixed :

Vertex Information:
02 Two sides
07 00 F6 Side 1 Mirrored [7,0,-10] and [-7,0,-10] accounts for 2 vertex
F9 00 0A Side 2 Mirrored [-7,0, 10] and [7,0, 10] accounts for 2 vertex
20 Frame Count $20 means 32 frames (16 more than expected)
3F 00 Frame offset $3F = 63+1 = 64
48 00
51 00
5A 00
63 00

// Here begin the Other parts of the model.
07 F1 F6 [7,-15,-10] and [-7,-15,-10]
07 F1 0A [7,-15, 10] and [-7,-15,-10]
20 // 16 bits offset jump
A3 00 Frame offset $A3 = 163+1 = 164 // Here I got lost

07 E7 F6
07 E7 0A
98 00

Vertex Information:
04 ($04) Type 04 Non Mirrored
00 00 EC
00 D8 F6
00 14 1E
00 00 28
09 9 Mirrored Vertex
0A 28 E2 Mirrored
19 00 F1 Mirrored
E4 FB F6 Mirrored
FA F6 F6 Mirrored
E2 0A FB Mirrored
F6 14 00 Mirrored
1E 00 0A Mirrored
08 FB 0A Mirrored
F6 0A 0F Mirrored
0A Frame Count $0A means 10 frames (Exactly as expected)
13 00 Frame offset $13 = 19+1 = 20
21 00
2F 00
3D 00
4B 00
59 00
67 00
75 00
83 00
91 00
04                    // here is the correct start for first frame vertex
02 // 2 vertex
14 14 EC
EC 14 EC
38                    // mirror x
01                    // 1 vertex
1E 28 28
20                    // jump
8E 00               // next is at offset $8E

Hope that help you with the animated data =)

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »
And also your vertex definition fixed :
Hope that help you with the animated data =)
Awesome! Do you happen to know what happens in between the offset? I think that was what confused me since it looks like a lot of bits with little use? Maybe damage data or more atribute for the same model. What do you think about those?

You just did some minors mistakes in your decoding.
Here's my updated notes about the objects decoding :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93332624/dev/sfx/objects.txt

I couldn't download from that link. Is it correct?

Anyways, you've helped me a lot here so I will do a bit more digging so that you can continue your implementation of Star Fox :D
I saw this while searching for stuff:
http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/Stunt+Race+FX
I think the next step invoves using bsnes and analizing analyzing changes and stuff like that.

Thank you!

-edit->
I got it!
I would only like your opinion about why there are 16 bit jumps and so many offsets with little values to them. It seems like a terrible waste of space. :D

-edit 2->
A few days ago I converted the "frame offset" values from the "49B4 Growing column" and found this. I don't know if it is relevant or anything but I think it might be related to movement on screen. I may be terrible wrong but it might be related with the ztimer.
49B4 Growing column

2FB9 - Plasma Hydra with wings flapping
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:38:52 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »
Awesome! Do you happen to know what happens in between the offset? I think that was what confused me since it looks like a lot of bits with little use? Maybe damage data or more atribute for the same model. What do you think about those?

Usually you just find vertex data of other frame :)

A typical animated vertex list data will look like this :

04           // normal vertex
XX           // vertex number
XX XX XX    // vertex data
XX XX XX
1C          // animated vertex
XX          // number of frame
XX XX     // offset for animated vertex frame 1
XX XX     // offset for animated vertex frame 2
XX XX     // offset for animated vertex frame 2
....          // offset for animated vertex frame x

// frame 0 animated vertex data
XX          // vertex type
XX          // vertex number
XX XX XX   // vertex data
XX XX XX
20          // jump
XX XX      // 16 bit offset where to jump to reach end of vertex data
// frame 1 animated vertex data
XX XX XX
20          // jump
// frame 2 animated vertex data
XX XX XX
20          // jump
// frame 3 animated vertex data

So there is no waste in vertex data :)
The way i parsed the animated vertex in my tool permit to entirely rebuild the vertex list for each frame but in the rom only the variable part are redefined (it's why we have a jump tag so we can always attach to the same last vertices).

I couldn't download from that link. Is it correct?

It does work for me, does it still fail for you ?

A few days ago I converted the "frame offset" values from the "49B4 Growing column" and found this. I don't know if it is relevant or anything but I think it might be related to movement on screen. I may be terrible wrong but it might be related with the ztimer.

It does, as the animated color, animated object use a different vertex base at each frame :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:52:19 pm by Stef »

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 06:37:39 pm »
Thanks Stef! Everything worked perfectly! :P
I've rewritten my vertex code so it includes animations and it is reading the rom correctly. I'll have captures later :P
Everything you've said works very well :D
Also the link now works correctly, maybe it was just a dropbox thing.

I am left with two questions: is fixed vertex information always before the animated vertex info?
I was wondering this in order to connect it with the face info correctly.

Also, I still don't get the purpose of stating every offset. Can there be more frames than possible vertex states?
For instance, in the "column" example graph I made, in the second half the offsets decrease, and they all point to frame 1. Would this mean that after certain animation frames have been completed repeat frame 1 a few times?
I'm guessing this would be useful in some models like the "sea squid" thing where it doesn't push in a permanent loop.

Here is the last data of the offsets of "Column" example, they all point to the first frame.
0F 00
0D 00
0B 00
09 00
07 00
05 00
03 00
01 00

--EDIT->
IT'S ALIVE!!!! xD
:D
ANIMATIONS ARE WORKING WITH COLOR PALETTES.
If I were to be missing something its the correct placement of textures! :P
(I'd still like your comment on the thing about the offsets :D)

-edit->
So I think I've gotten most of the objects working. I understand now that some frame offsets are for different interactions like the two sequences inside "9FB9 Monarch Dodora body animation", one for when it walks around and the other for when you hit it. The frames are all in sequence but I'm sure the colision detection points to a certain portion of it.
I also know that there is a special palette ("8590") for "4DAC Andross Square" and "85AC Andross Cube" if used crashed the program (I never saw VL-Tone managing to decode it). This palette points to the big andross face in the texture table and by the way, both of these models are 16 bit coords.
I avoided the 20 interchangeable palettes because I didn't know what to do with them but now I discovered that the "64C2 Attack carrier" in Corneria uses this to determine how the sunset affects the color of the ship, Corneria Level 1 and 2 are by day and Level 3 is with the sunset and this is colored using the interchangeable palettes.

Some faces do have incorrect color setting but I've noticed only one object (70DB Main enemy ship (orange)).

Textures are loaded but I have yet to determine the correct offset algorithm needed to place them correctly but if anyone manages to understand it it will be very easy to put them there since they are already decoded and ready for use.

Some faces are made to have two sides, tha is what makes them have that bad flicker. This also happens with faces with textures because the program thinks a texture is another face. This is easy to fix but I prefer it to be visible since that is where the textures will go.

Even while I had success in loading most models some still appear corrupt for no apparent reason for very few models. I followed the code and it should work.

I will now clean up the code a bit and add a smooth animation setting just to see how it looks. Anyways I believe my work is done with this versión of my app. :D

@Stef
I will try and help with the stage thing. Where on this are you now?

-edit with news!->
Here it is! :D
I have added frame interpolation because I could. I had idea for ages and it works nicely and you can disable it with the keyboard if you want to. :D
https://vimeo.com/60433014
Remember you can download the original video which is 60 fps :P

Stef, how should I post the source code? :D
In a way it is it is permanently on the web.
On a side note, I suppose you've read this thread, it is the more obscure one I could find where VL-Tone explains a bit more about the stage info and how it is used:
http://arwinglanding.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=te5kqmecnhn3j7ltc3ddlrfkv5&topic=1649.0;nowap
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:58:41 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »
Thanks Stef! Everything worked perfectly! :P
I've rewritten my vertex code so it includes animations and it is reading the rom correctly. I'll have captures later :P
Everything you've said works very well :D
Also the link now works correctly, maybe it was just a dropbox thing.

Cool ! Glad you got it, you implement things really quickly :)

I am left with two questions: is fixed vertex information always before the animated vertex info?
I was wondering this in order to connect it with the face info correctly.

You can have fixed part before and after animated part, you can also have only animated part.

Also, I still don't get the purpose of stating every offset. Can there be more frames than possible vertex states?
For instance, in the "column" example graph I made, in the second half the offsets decrease, and they all point to frame 1. Would this mean that after certain animation frames have been completed repeat frame 1 a few times?
I'm guessing this would be useful in some models like the "sea squid" thing where it doesn't push in a permanent loop.

Exactly, that allow reuse of same vertices for another frame, the simplest example can be a growing then decreasing bloc. You can use vertices of the growing frames for the decrease part of animation :)

I also know that there is a special palette ("8590") for "4DAC Andross Square" and "85AC Andross Cube" if used crashed the program (I never saw VL-Tone managing to decode it). This palette points to the big andross face in the texture table and by the way, both of these models are 16 bit coords.
I avoided the 20 interchangeable palettes because I didn't know what to do with them but now I discovered that the "64C2 Attack carrier" in Corneria uses this to determine how the sunset affects the color of the ship, Corneria Level 1 and 2 are by day and Level 3 is with the sunset and this is colored using the interchangeable palettes.

There are still some unknown about palette, i think some data in the object header define "object type" or something like that which may help in palette interpretation as maybe bounding box informations as well.

Some faces are made to have two sides, tha is what makes them have that bad flicker. This also happens with faces with textures because the program thinks a texture is another face. This is easy to fix but I prefer it to be visible since that is where the textures will go.

Yeah i noticed that, this is because Starfox use polygon clockwise order to define if it's visible or not, so if a face is always visible (as part of arwing wing) then you should define 2 polygon in reverse order to get it always displayed.

Even while I had success in loading most models some still appear corrupt for no apparent reason for very few models. I followed the code and it should work.

You can try my last version of my object decoder, invalid object (missing data or cannot be parsed correctly) are displayed in red, that might help you to know if your object is correct or not :

@Stef
I will try and help with the stage thing. Where on this are you now?

Nowhere :D
I did not yet started anything about it as i meet some troubles with my program, it turns out i got memory corruption when i try to import all generated objects... This is not due to the exported itself ;)

Here it is! :D
I have added frame interpolation because I could. I had idea for ages and it works nicely and you can disable it with the keyboard if you want to. :D
https://vimeo.com/60433014
Remember you can download the original video which is 60 fps :P

It looks really smooth ! Your interpolation code works perfectly :)
I will fit with standard animation as anyway i won't have smooth frame rate on my final program. It does run on a much more limited system and interpolation would waste even more my limited CPU resource !

Stef, how should I post the source code? :D
In a way it is it is permanently on the web.

Actually you can post it in whatever form you want on FileShare or whatever, of course it would be best to choose a reliable share site so it can stay available for a long time. Honestly i'm not sure that a lot of guys will use it, we are probably the only ones interested in doing a remake of the original game ^^

On a side note, I suppose you've read this thread, it is the more obscure one I could find where VL-Tone explains a bit more about the stage info and how it is used:
http://arwinglanding.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=te5kqmecnhn3j7ltc3ddlrfkv5&topic=1649.0;nowap

Yeah i already read that topic, some part are interesting but i think the best is still to use that SFXEdit tool and the attached documentation :) There is many interesting thing to get from it, at least we can somehow reproduce them by reading how level are arranged even f we don't use direct level data !

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »
Thanks you for the answers and info. :D

If there is any comment about it I would have to say this:
You can have fixed part before and after animated part, you can also have only animated part.
I read the vertex data expecting the fixed vertices info to always appear before the animated ones. This is not necessarily true but it was how I started the animation part. Turns out in my case it works and looks correct because the triangle construction in the face section points to certain vertices with values, if the vertices are in different order it wouldn't have animated correctly. So at least in my case the vertex info appears before.
Oddly enough, I was curious what would happen if I flip them, almost all objects are affected except the bipeds ( 9CBB, C4E2  and 11B4 and variations.)

There are some models which seem oddly corrupt, I'll read every line of them to find out more about the error (D4D7 Phantron Kicking, weird fixed vertex distorts the object).

I'll post the code later somewhere you've suggested, and now I can take a bit more time to add features. :D
I'll se if I can recheck stage 1 info.

Cool ! Glad you got it, you implement things really quickly :)

It's a combination between years of waiting for someone able to get more info and having to learn c++ and openGL for work. :P
I also don't want to stop because I don't think I will get many chances to advance in the future.

About the Corneria 1, I think we would be starting this all wrong. In the game, the ship moves using the controller which passes through the SNES chipset and all that which would mean far too many things I don't know (maybe you do). First, I will try to read from the ROM the cinematic before Corneria, that one has a fixed and established set of objects which also happen to be good for measuring the size of the scene (to determine the speed of the ship) nothing weird.
Later I will try the game intro scene which might have 1 bounding box as well as a few laser shots combines with a fixed background.

What do you think?
Hey that brings me to a question, what do you know about SNES programming? I know nothing!

I read a little about the topic and I didn't understand much. I started with the fact that I know that at $6F0F8 in the ROM is the beginning of the Training level info, also I know that according to SFXEdit that level is at $9A6E0D. I tried reading a bit about HiROM and LoROM but no, I don't know anything about this. What I can guess is that in order to read much of the info about the ROM it would be necessary to emulate how memory works in the SNES, otherwise working as I have until now would be enough for me but maybe not for you Stef.
VL-Tone has the list of every address but he also mentions stuff like this:

At 7E1FF9 and 7E1FFA is a 16-bit pointer for the starting level pointer, you can use a cheat at this adress to start at any level in a more "normal" way.

If I go to address 7E1FF9 in the ROM Hex Edit tells me that I have gone past the End Of File. So how does one get from WRAM(?) over to the ROM file address?
Should I worry about this if I know nothing about real SNES hacking?

He also mentions something like the following. ¿What does the colon symbol mean in these cases?

A funny example, if you go into Corneria level 2 and activate these two cheats, 7E16FF:BB and 7E1700:01, you'll loop the part where one of your crew member will get attacked by an enemy

And finally, the most important of all questions... how do I go from the Stage Header information to the actual stage information. :S

Here is something I never figured out. How and when do I change between these 4 subpalettes? I thought the light index was supposed to affect the layer of every palette but not the subpalette. I did it for level of palette and it looked ok so I never figured the use of the subpalettes.

Anyways, here are download links:
http://bitshare.com/files/umwcr17c/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_ver1.zip.html
http://rapidgator.net/file/81179016/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_ver1.zip.html
http://www.4shared.com/zip/41CS6-a8/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_v.html              (requires registration)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:52:19 pm by dyson132 »

Stef

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 05:12:54 am »
If there is any comment about it I would have to say this:I read the vertex data expecting the fixed vertices info to always appear before the animated ones. This is not necessarily true but it was how I started the animation part. Turns out in my case it works and looks correct because the triangle construction in the face section points to certain vertices with values, if the vertices are in different order it wouldn't have animated correctly. So at least in my case the vertex info appears before.
Oddly enough, I was curious what would happen if I flip them, almost all objects are affected except the bipeds ( 9CBB, C4E2  and 11B4 and variations.)

Actually i saw the following different cases by looking in model vertices :
Fixed
Animated
Fixed

----

Fixed
Animated

---

Animated

So maybe you are right, you can't have vertices definition starting with animated then having fixed following.
At least my code parser allow it just in case :)

There are some models which seem oddly corrupt, I'll read every line of them to find out more about the error (D4D7 Phantron Kicking, weird fixed vertex distorts the object).

I didn't yet tested displaying models, i will may experience some troubles too when i will try it ^^

About the Corneria 1, I think we would be starting this all wrong. In the game, the ship moves using the controller which passes through the SNES chipset and all that which would mean far too many things I don't know (maybe you do). First, I will try to read from the ROM the cinematic before Corneria, that one has a fixed and established set of objects which also happen to be good for measuring the size of the scene (to determine the speed of the ship) nothing weird.
Later I will try the game intro scene which might have 1 bounding box as well as a few laser shots combines with a fixed background.

What do you think?

Of course :)
You have to handle the game logic yourself :
- control the arwing ship from user input
- level navigation (Z coordinate decrement on all scene objects)
- handle collision between objects (arwing shoot, arwing, ennemy, scene objects)
- a lot more...

The level data only give events so it make some enemies, scene objects, boss, cutscene... to appears.
But then all the game logic handle them and a lot of the logic itself is hidden in "behavior" object of level data.
We actually have to reproduce the original game logic to make all that working...  Level data is just here to help is constructing the level but not for the game logic itself which we have to build on our own.

Hey that brings me to a question, what do you know about SNES programming? I know nothing!

I read a little about the topic and I didn't understand much. I started with the fact that I know that at $6F0F8 in the ROM is the beginning of the Training level info, also I know that according to SFXEdit that level is at $9A6E0D. I tried reading a bit about HiROM and LoROM but no, I don't know anything about this. What I can guess is that in order to read much of the info about the ROM it would be necessary to emulate how memory works in the SNES, otherwise working as I have until now would be enough for me but maybe not for you Stef.
VL-Tone has the list of every address but he also mentions stuff like this:

If I go to address 7E1FF9 in the ROM Hex Edit tells me that I have gone past the End Of File. So how does one get from WRAM(?) over to the ROM file address?
Should I worry about this if I know nothing about real SNES hacking?

I do now a bit about SNES programming but not that much, it could help in reverse engineering rom data but not in reproducing the game itself. All the rom can bring us is data and only data (object model, level data...). All the game logic code has to be redone and that is just game programming skill, nothing else.
We could try to read the base game code but there is no point in doing it, we can try to replicate it just by testing and comparing original game and remake :)
About level data, we can just use what SFXEdit give us, it actually contains all what we want =) Did you read the SFXEdit documentation ? it gives nice informations about how interpret level data :)

He also mentions something like the following. ¿What does the colon symbol mean in these cases?

semi colon separate the address and the value :
$77EEFF:EE

means : set value $EE at address $77EEFF

Here is something I never figured out. How and when do I change between these 4 subpalettes? I thought the light index was supposed to affect the layer of every palette but not the subpalette. I did it for level of palette and it looked ok so I never figured the use of the subpalettes.

Actually i think these subpalette are used only depending the Z depth of your object in the scene :)
The farther is your object, the more dark it is.

Anyways, here are download links:
http://bitshare.com/files/umwcr17c/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_ver1.zip.html
http://rapidgator.net/file/81179016/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_ver1.zip.html
http://www.4shared.com/zip/41CS6-a8/SNES_Star_Fox_Object_Decoder_v.html

Thanks for sharing ! I will try them asap :)
By the way, i am still working on objects. I try to understand what are the informations contained in the object header and i have to admit that i had some hard time with that.
For the moment i only isolated the scaling parameter, some others data seems to be related to the object size or many bounds but i'm not yet sure about that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:20:55 am by Stef »

dyson132

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:51 am »
Thanks for the information!
I believe you are right on all the comments you posted. For example, the crippled D4D7 Phantron Kicking possibly has static->animated->static vertex information and maybe that is why I am getting crippled animation. I will try this later. :D

Thank you!

Verified the Depth Palette thing. I hadn't noticed it.

I tried decoding some stage information but I got confused between addresses and references. What I guessed is that it is relatively straightforward, having the correct information it could be understood quickly.

@Stef
By now I'm just following your work and in order to be somehow useful I'll start correctly documenting what we already know including methods, conversion with examples and such.

March 05, 2013, 09:41:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
READ PM
http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=15998
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:58:46 pm by dyson132 »