News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dumb patching question.  (Read 3033 times)

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Dumb patching question.
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:21 pm »
Here's something I thought of today that I would like to ask. Is it possible to patch TWO different hacks together without garbling up the graphics. Like for example you want to play the stages of one hack, but your disappointing because said hack uses music from the original game instead of brand new music, and you want to play the stages using music from a hack that does change it. Like for example you want to play Rockman L with Rockman 2 Deluxe music. But if you patch the two together, you get sort of what you want: Rockman L stages, Rockman 2 Deluxe music, but the graphics are garbled up. Is there a way to bypass this?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb patching question.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
Only possible if the two patches do not overlap and leave data where it is expected.
Say one patch that ONLY altered the levels and another that ONLY altered the music. And they didn't move the data from where it originally was located in the ROM.
Otherwise, not possible unless you re-hack the content into the ROM yourself.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
Only possible if the two patches do not overlap and leave data where it is expected.
Say one patch that ONLY altered the levels and another that ONLY altered the music. And they didn't move the data from where it originally was located in the ROM.
Otherwise, not possible unless you re-hack the content into the ROM yourself.

So you're saying since BOTH Rockman 2 Deluxe and Rockman L edit graphic data, it's a no-go. Correct?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »
Yes, they would be making conflicting edits with each other.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »
I still wonder how music hacking is actually possible. I've read the music hexes in some of the original games with fceux (fceux cannot play some hacks from what I can tell) but the hexes are constantly changing. And to be honest, I can really imagine the music from RM2D in RML. Magna Centipede's theme in Flare Man's stage, Morph Moth's theme in Blade Man's stage, Wheel Gator's theme in Killer Man's stage, and I could probably fit the rest somewhere too.

April 13, 2012, 01:27:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another question. What if you turned the original game into a patch, then patch a Hack. What would that do?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:27:07 pm by Plint Michigan »