News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wanting to take hacking to a very simple level?  (Read 3128 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Wanting to take hacking to a very simple level?
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:55 am »
Okay, my target is "Dynasty Warrior Advance". Reason is that I want an extra challenge, by changing the cap on number of enemies in the battlefield. I know that no more than 5 enemies are on screen at time. I tried various ways to try and find how to increase this cap to, lets say, ten or fifteen. However, no matter what, I could not find the address and values that deals with this. Any advice to give to this noob?

(Note: I suppose this needs at least one address to work with.)

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Wanting to take hacking to a very simple level?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:47 am »
Thing is, the number could be placed in multiple places. And it could be baked into other numbers too. And then there is the fact that it is highly likely to have been used for static memory allocation, something that tends to be a hassle to redo.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »
Thing is, the number could be placed in multiple places. And it could be baked into other numbers too. And then there is the fact that it is highly likely to have been used for static memory allocation, something that tends to be a hassle to redo.
Well, I have three guesses on how it works:
1) checks what is the "actor limit" in X address and only adds actors up to that limit when called.
2) counts down instead. As in: the less enemies on screen, the higher the value. So, with 5 enemies (counting supply troop), the value would be at its lowest.
3) assigns a different value to each address, as to confirm whether it is a swordman, spearman, archer, supply troop, officer with X weapon and so on, or general. This is a possibility too.

All I know is: there must be a limiter somehow, such limiter not used in certain games, like Tyrian 2000 GB, Gradius and some others. That I know.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:19:56 am »
The issue is that the number can still have found its way into a lot of places. Most games use static memory allocation. They allocate space for X enemies at compile time and simply never exceed that.

All sorts of iterations and manipulations probably have the number baked into the code.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »
The issue is that the number can still have found its way into a lot of places. Most games use static memory allocation. They allocate space for X enemies at compile time and simply never exceed that.

All sorts of iterations and manipulations probably have the number baked into the code.
I wonder how I'll get to it then... The most I was able to so far was to... Well, hang a sec, I'll edit it on here once I'm done.

EDIT: I had hacked this code for Tyrian 2000 GB
913327D8
It allows you to unlock the entire Item Database while this one
0xD7EF to 0xD80D
Relates to the "Secrets" menu, allowing to unlock things depending on the value assigned to those addresses.

What bothered me in those is: The unlocking of Database is ALL handled by only one address. Values lower than that will unlock all but one, or two, or three, and so on. Meanwhile, the "Secrets" one can unlock many items from secret at once per address.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:43:03 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Those just control already setup features, hiding and removing menu options. As for the last value? Probably a bitfield.