News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lowering the encounter rate in Breath of Fire II (total newbie here)  (Read 8962 times)

frogles

• View Profile
Hey guys. I recently discovered the Breath of Fire II retranslation (which looks amazing) but I just can't play the game due how frequent the encounters are. It drives me nuts getting into battles every 4 steps and I'm just not enjoying myself. I've always thought that the encounter rate was the downfall of the SNES version. I wanna lower it and maybe raise the exp/gold the game gives out after battle. I think the GBA version did this to offset the much lower encounter rate and it turned out great.

My problem is I'm a total noob at this stuff and the most I've done is change some values in Pokemon Red to get certain Pokemon to evolve in a different way. I've read some guides on here but I still have no idea how to go about doing this.

Is something like this too advanced for me?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering the encounter rate in Breath of Fire II (total newbie here)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:00 pm »
It's pretty complicated depending on how the games does random battle #'s.

If this code is right, then this prevents random battles in general. 7E12DC00

If so, you need Geiger's SNES9X Debugger.

1. Load up Breath of Fire II.
2. Get into a battle.
3. Click 'Breakpoints'
4. Type in "7E12DC" in any of the lines.
5. Check 'Write'
6. Win the battle.
7. The game should stop and say that a value has been written there.  If this code is the right one, that's the # for random battles.
8. Click 'Run'.
9. Click Run as many times as needed until it stops freezing the game.
10. Take the offset that it shows ($xx/xxxx) and subtract 20 from the last two digits.  So if it's say, $1F/2050.  It'd be $1F/2030.
11. Set the 2nd listing # to FFFFFF so you can see everything.
12. Around those you'll see what stores the values and you may have to alter code.

If you have no knowledge on ASM, I'm sure someone on here will help further.  If not, I'll take a whack at it and help you out.  The steps I gave you are very.. well semi vague and simplistic but if you need help, feel free to throw more questions on here.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

frogles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:33 am »
Thanks for replying! I think I did everything correctly and I ended up with this:

http://i.imgur.com/00yBk.jpg

I honestly have no idea what to do from here though. How do I know what all these numbers do?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:14 am »
Woops I may have made a mistake.  It seems the game counts the steps you take then starts a battle instead of decreasing a random # until battle starts.  I'll have to take a look at this routine a bit more and figure it out >.<  You definitely found the right spot, so that's a good congratulations to you.  This game just handles random battles so very differently.

Edit: Okay, try this.  I think this lowers the encounter rate by a bit.

1. Go to C32750. 
2. Where all the random numbers and letters are, type in '22 D0 49 C5'.  It should now read something like,  '22 D0 49 C5 4A 8D 00 00 18' etc...
3. Now change your location to C549D0.
4. Where the 00's start, type in '85 1C 4A 4A 4A 6B'.
5. Now try running around.  I THINK the encounter rate gets lowered by quite a bit from what I've tested.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:41:31 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:24:19 am »
I've kinda wondered if the game reduces the encounter rate after time (note the encounter rate icon on the menu screen).
For example, I know at Mt. Fubi, the rate eventually goes from low (tired-out dancing monster) to none (sleeping monster).

And then there is the one place where you HAVE to fight random encounters until the rate changes to none.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

frogles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:22:43 am »
The maximum amount of steps you could take before an enemy encounter definitely increased but the minimum is just as low as it was before. Still, this is a lot more bearable as I can walk a greater distance more often. I played around with your gameshark code and actually got the same result by changing the last two digits to 04. Going higher decreased the maximum steps until there was an encounter for every step. @_@

For example, I know at Mt. Fubi, the rate eventually goes from low (tired-out dancing monster) to none (sleeping monster).

I always thought this had to do with your current level or beating the harpies. Going to township would have been pretty annoying if the encounters remained.