News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 menu hacking  (Read 17599 times)

MottZilla

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 menu hacking
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »
You didn't say but you could try inserting the loop I told you before writing various things to the screen.

- LDA $4210
BPL -

If you do, it *should* wait until you are in the safe time to write to the PPU. Maybe you really are just running out of time. Actually thinking right now, how are you throttling your loop? Do you have a loop similar to what I posted? Or does it run without any throttling? If it runs without any throttling it is no wonder you have it so "sometimes" it works but most of the time it doesn't. If it is that way, the time at which you write to the screen is totally random. You must only write during vblank or force blank. If you write at any other time writes are either ignored or will corrupt VRAM.

Try adding this right here:
$00/F085 C2 20       REP #$20   

Add before this:
- LDA $4210
BPL -
- LDA $4210
BPL -

This will wait for the VLANK flag to be set, twice, just incase it catches VBLANK late. This will give the best case scenario on time to write to the PPU through this code segment you posted. This could fix all your issues.

If this doesn't fix your issues, you can add this loop before other writes to the PPU to again make sure you write at the safe time, but I don't think you'll need it anywhere but the beginning of your writing/update.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »
Well, it semi works.  It fixes the lives/ride chips not fully appearing.  Either way, they still flash in and out without being written back onto the screen.  I'm unaware why it does this.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

MottZilla

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »
I sent you a message. Hopefully you received it as I was in a hurry.