News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: WWF No Mercy (N64) save glitch  (Read 5862 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
WWF No Mercy (N64) save glitch
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
Has anybody ran through WWF No Mercy's code to try finding the specific problem cause?
It'd be nice to see this decade old debacle at last identified. If not a ROM patch.

Or is there actually a cartridge hardware flaw, making it unable to occur (and hence no reason for any patch) with emulators/flashcarts/etc?

As some of you may know... This game (at least early copies if not the entire NTSC run) was plagued by a major recurring data deletion bug. All saved data on cartridge could vanish at indeterminable moments. Severe enough IIRC it may even happen during the story mode. So if one is playing a created wrestler's story they could revert back to default in their next appearance!

It's not yet completely proven fixed NTSC cartridges exist. Only unverified user reports that might possibly mean nothing. Contrary to the rumored THQ exchange program I haven't seen sufficient evidence of.

PAL version 1.1 is known created, easy to distinguish with both an updated front label and ROM dump.
But even that I've yet to see proof whether it fixes the save bug. Amazingly enough.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
Re: WWF No Mercy (N64) save glitch
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:11:27 pm »
I remember buying my copy new (this was exceptional because this was well after 2004) so I probably have a newer version, & my copy also erased everything during story mode (on my final belt title at that!).

Quick question, will it do it again? :-\
And I'll leave it at that!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »
It may. Though if this is a matter of probability alone, rather than have SOME clear trigger in the code, you can't guarantee when/if it'd happen in our lifetime.

For now in theory up to 100% of copies ever created may be at risk. On a cartridge or not. Until proven otherwise.

Users who've never run into the bug could just face astronomical luck.

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »
I can vouch for the existence of fixed NTSC cartridges, since I own one.  I know the word of some random guy on the internet doesn't mean much, but it's true.  THQ had a section on their site concerning the glitch (old news article about it here) and, after I contacted them via that page, they exchanged my defective copy for a revised version.  The product code ends in "USA-1," and it hasn't glitched on me once in the 10 years since. :thumbsup:

To be honest, I'm surprised the 1.1 version hasn't been dumped (maybe it's rare?), unless it really is just a cartridge issue rather than a code issue. :huh: Either way, I can technically say that somebody did at least figure out a fix for it.
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:57:12 am »
Yeah I don't understand people. Such things have been said for years, then left there. Nobody seems interested to step up to the plate and really put this matter to rest.

Part of the issue may be how owners don't always specify whether they're referring to NTSC or PAL.

While PAL 1.1 is unmistakable, I haven't confirmed whether it fixes the glitch. As I pointed out earlier.
If it helps here's a very obvious PAL version compare: