News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: 2 questions about Advance Text!  (Read 3793 times)

paranvoi

• View Profile
2 questions about Advance Text!
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:31:03 pm »
1) I read somewhere that by inserting text into the game that is longer than the original, the ROM can become corrupted. By that I mean, say for example a line in the original dialogue is 60 characters long, and I insert an 80-character line into the slot where the 60-character line was. I read that doing this messes up all other text boxes and makes the ROM unplayable, something about the program not being able to repoint the extra characters or something? Are there any ways of working around this problem BESIDES always adding text that is shorter than the original, which is imposible?

2) Once I have edited the game script to my liking, how do I go about, um how do I say this.. extracting my work and making it into a downloadable patch that others can use? Sorry, I don't know how to phrase that without it sounding illegal, but you know what I'm talking about. With this program you can edit the ROM directly but I need to a make a patch that others can use to patch their own ROMs.

Thank you :)

rveach

• View Profile
Re: 2 questions about Advance Text!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »
By Advance, you mean Gameboy Advance?

1) Not always true. It depends on the game and what you are writing over in those 20 bytes.
If the extra 20 bytes is assembly or other game data that is read, then yea, you could corrupt the game.
If it is nothing used by the game, then it won't hurt anything.
If it is other dialog text, then you need to move that text over 20 bytes too and update its pointer (a value that tells the game where to find the text in the ROM), otherwise you need to find a way to shorten the space taken by your text, or you need to find another spot to place the text, and still update its pointer, to tell it where the new spot is.

2) It is called a 'patch'. It compares the original ROM to your modified version and extracts only the parts you modified.
I believe you can use LunarIPS for GBA games.

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »
By Advance, you mean Gameboy Advance?

1) Not always true. It depends on the game and what you are writing over in those 20 bytes.
If the extra 20 bytes is assembly or other game data that is read, then yea, you could corrupt the game.
If it is nothing used by the game, then it won't hurt anything.
If it is other dialog text, then you need to move that text over 20 bytes too and update its pointer (a value that tells the game where to find the text in the ROM), otherwise you need to find a way to shorten the space taken by your text, or you need to find another spot to place the text, and still update its pointer, to tell it where the new spot is.

2) It is called a 'patch'. It compares the original ROM to your modified version and extracts only the parts you modified.
I believe you can use LunarIPS for GBA games.

No, Advance Text is a program for modifying the text of GBA games, downloadable from here:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/427/

I just don't know if the program is made to automatically repoint extra text or what. But let's say I have to move the text and update its pointer. Does this require the text be dumped with Cartographer? Because I'm trying to avoid having to use Cartographer entirely.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »
The readme of the tool talks about repointing text.
Mauron wuz here.

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:54:39 pm »
The readme of the tool talks about repointing text.

All I see in the readme is "- added a feature to the save procedure, it now checks if there's enough space behind the current text before it repoints" ... there's no other mention of repointing.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »
Which is less specific than one would like, but it does imply that repointing is done.

Feel free to test it to be sure, but it sounds like it is capable of doing so.
Mauron wuz here.