News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What do I need to hack GBC games?  (Read 2189 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
What do I need to hack GBC games?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:34 pm »
I want to create a hack for MGS Ghost Babel, to add a Bandana and an Otacamo. But what do I need to add those?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: What do I need to hack GBC games?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
Experience.

What you're trying to do is add new items with new functionality that isn't present in the existing game. This will entail getting your hands around the game's entrails, figuring out how it all works, and making your own changes. In short, this is a very advanced hack you're talking about, and you appear to be a newcomer to the field.

My recommendation? Put this ambitious project of yours on the back burner and aim for more low-hanging fruit. You don't have to give up on hacking MGGB, but you should consider trying something a bit more in your skill range, like text or graphics hacking. We have all the documentation and tools you could ask for on the left.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need to hack GBC games?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »
Experience.

What you're trying to do is add new items with new functionality that isn't present in the existing game. This will entail getting your hands around the game's entrails, figuring out how it all works, and making your own changes. In short, this is a very advanced hack you're talking about, and you appear to be a newcomer to the field.

My recommendation? Put this ambitious project of yours on the back burner and aim for more low-hanging fruit. You don't have to give up on hacking MGGB, but you should consider trying something a bit more in your skill range, like text or graphics hacking. We have all the documentation and tools you could ask for on the left.
Vish... So it is hopeless... ._. Text and graphic hacking are way too easy (used to hack graphics in NESTICLE, mind you. And text? Done it for J2ME games), IMO.