News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Casper (SNES) 94% translation hack!  (Read 4015 times)

tashi

• View Profile
Casper (SNES) 94% translation hack!
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:28 pm »
This is a mostly complete English translation of the SNES Casper originally released in Japan in 1997 based on the movie "Casper" released two years prior. The Casper game by Natsume released in America in 1996 has no connection to this game in any way.

In this game, the player controls Kat in an isometric world. Casper follows her around the haunted mansion helping her search for her father. Exploration and puzzle-solving abound. All the while, the evil Carrigan and her henchman, Dibs, have grown impatient and are hot on your trail. Can Kat and Casper overcome the odds and save Kat's daddy?!

I am abandoning this project because the intro contains compressed text and a few cutscenes use a sprite-based font which I cannot hack. As is, all in-game dialogue is translated and inserted, so I consider the game very playable, even if incomplete.

In the Casper file available on RHDN's abandoned project page you will find IPS and xdelta patches, the Japanese table, my English table, the Atlas script I inserted, and some other notes.

*edit: fixed link.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:51:45 pm by tashi »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: Casper (SNES) 94% translation hack!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »
Sad you abandon a project so near the goal.
Did you try to get some help from somebody in here or another forum??
There are many skilled people around that are ready to help you especially so near to the goal.

By the way, your link is dead.

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:21 pm »
Hmm, sounds good maybe i can give this a try in near time.

PS: Correct link http://www.romhacking.net/abandoned/[48]casperabandoned.zip

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »
Oops, direct linking to abandoned projects isn't allowed.

From the abandoned project page here on RHDN just scroll down to "Casper"

I received extensive guidance from Klarth and many others in the IRC channel for getting as far as I could, but hacking deeper than this is just way over my head. This was my first ROM hacking attempt.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »
Is the incomplete part all hacking related, or part translation? I wasn't clear on this, and if it's just hacking, I may be able to help.
Mauron wuz here.

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »
I translated all the text I could dump, which is pretty much just the regular dialogue that displays along the bottom of the screen. Strangely, paraphrasing(?) of the cutscene text was in the script, but never used in-game. Mysterious leftovers from the development process, I suppose. I think altogether there might be 4 cutscenes? or a few more depending on if the multiple endings have multiple cutscenes. But they're probably just a couple lines. I also didn't translate the intro since it uses a different font from the regular dialogue. But I could in about 2 mins if someone could hack it.