News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire GBA palette restorer.  (Read 9882 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire GBA palette restorer.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
I know that all the LoZ games on the system, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance also had these options.  In fact FFTA had three of them, one for each GBA and one for TV.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:18:38 pm by Chronosplit »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »
I don't remember that, but next time I play through it I'll use it. Thanks!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »
Here's what Aladdin looks like on GBA with the darker color option compared side by side with SNES. I say good on Capcom, because it looks identical to me!  ;)

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »
I stick with the SNES version of Yoshi's Island as there are still too many issues with the port even with the palette and sound hacks

Is there a sound restoration for Yoshi's Island? I've never played the SNES or the GBA version extensively (never past the first level) but so far I prefer the the GBA controls.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 09:36:42 pm »
Is there a sound restoration for Yoshi's Island? I've never played the SNES or the GBA version extensively (never past the first level) but so far I prefer the the GBA controls.
Not like the Final Fantasy restorations. The Yoshis Island hack just restores a few of the sound effects like Yoshi's voice.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:04 pm »
Not like the Final Fantasy restorations. The Yoshis Island hack just restores a few of the sound effects like Yoshi's voice.

Do you mean this?

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 11:13:21 pm »
Do you mean this?
Yes. It only affects sound effects, not music.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:43 pm »
Yoshi's Island at least needs a sound restoration hack done, even if the voices stay. It's a weird mish-mash of tracks that sound basically the same as on the SNES and ones that are ruined by the new hollow-sounding marimba sample.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 09:21:46 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2910/

Your hack is up Asaki, the FFOne one.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 08:55:15 am »
Someone else recently created a palette restoration for Yoshi's Island GBA by the way. There were a couple of things that couldn't be fixed entirely, but it's still 99% complete.

Okay, that sounds familiar.
Yeah, there were some problems with that game...I remember the first stage, there's a butterfly or something in the foreground, and I had to recolor the sprite by hand.

Someone actually created their own palette restoration for Breath of Fire 2 GBA, inspired from your hacks of other GBA ports.

Yeah, I helped him with that, but I didn't know if he ever released it or not. I seem to recall he was having some trouble finding the animated palettes.

Good call skipping Pitfall, it's an awful port of the SNES/Genesis versions. Not just visually and sound wise (which are awful of course) but the physics and hit detection is ruined.

Yeah, I remember it having a lot of other issues, I just couldn't remember what they were =)

I wish you'd unretire and do more ports tho. They couldn't be appreciated back then cause it was still current gen and the hacks couldn't be hosted here.

I'm not really retired, I'm just not great at hacking, so I don't do very many. Lots of other things on my plate, and it's hard to find time when I'm always busy at work. I just helped finish a hack of the GBA Game & Watch Gallery not too long ago.

There's a couple more ports I'd like to palette hack, but most of them are either not very good ports, or games I don't care about, or I just can't find the DATA. But really, if I could crack whatever auto-brightness algorithm is used on most games, that would be killer (if, indeed, that is the case).

There were a couple games that I thought I could fix, because Advance Wars and the Mega Man Zero games were also on the DS...but they have the same exact palettes!!!

Some of Capcom's other GBA ports also had similar options- the second and third Magical Quest games included (not the first game unfortunately).

I think the first game actually does have the option, there just isn't any access to it. I seem to recall that I tried to fix that game, but either I couldn't find the palettes (which I doubt), or I found them and they were fine. There's a few games that are like that, like DOOM 2, and I think maybe Super Ghouls and Ghosts?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:17:07 am by Asaki »

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 10:23:09 pm »
I noticed in Breath of Fire the castle in Camlon is basically the same pallette before and after you beat Frog. Before you beat him it's supposed to be much darker.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:56 am »
I noticed in Breath of Fire the castle in Camlon is basically the same pallette before and after you beat Frog. Before you beat him it's supposed to be much darker.

I can take a look if you have a save file. Is it like that without the patch?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »
Sound restoring Breath of Fire I GBA should be much easier than any of the Final Fantasies, because the complete soundfont is already there ready. Only the music data needs to be changed. I'd say I'm overqualified for that job ;)

However the music data in the GBA ROM *is* stored in an efficient mannear, unlike the Final Fantasy games, so there could be a problem of running out of ROM space due to adding back the tracks that were removed. At worse, the ROM will have to be expanded.

With Breath of Fire II I'm not so sure, since the SNES games changes its soundfont on the fly between songs, I don't know how they handled this on the GBA port.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:14 pm »
I can take a look if you have a save file. Is it like that without the patch?

http://imgur.com/a/XPR6m

Seems like the unhacked GBA version has the same pallette before and after too. I guess it's a limitation of the GBA version?

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 02:11:28 am »
Ah, yeah. Looks like it's just something someone screwed up during the port.

The Mario games have a lot of stuff like that >_< I fixed some of them, I wish I knew how to fix more.