News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: use parallel world's tiles with normal lttp?  (Read 3303 times)

CatnipPhilosophy

• View Profile
use parallel world's tiles with normal lttp?
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
I was wondering if it was possible to use the great sprites and tiles from parallel worlds in the normal lttp game.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: use parallel world's tiles with normal lttp?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
Yes, it's possible.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:02:43 pm »
Of course, but some layouts are incompatible. Thus you need a lot of edits after inserting new gfx into the file. Some palettes also need to be changed. Getting the gfx out of the Parallel worlds is another issue, since this game is unique in every way.

CatnipPhilosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:53:15 pm »
i have next to no modding experience, but would it be possible to put in the new tiles manually?

just switching the old ones for the new ones manually? how much work would it be, for an unexperienced but intelligent person?

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:51 am »
Not sure what you mean by manually. Your goal is to change the gfx. Which can only be done with zcompress in a combination with yy-chr. Take a closer look at Alttp and Parallel worlds overworlds. PW has a lot bigger house and no swamp tiles that are in Alttp, thus you can not "just" switch from one tiles to others. SePH rearranged the individual gfx tilesets drastically. There's now a roof of the bigger house where a stomp used to be etc. Also, the HUD, menu and title screen are changed in PW. Bringing the entire gfx from PW to Alttp would therefore be fatal for the game.

Things you can do:
Try to change the bush only (the location and space is compatible betwen Alttp and PW).
Then move on small rocks, later the tree (requires palette changes and small tile changes) and so on.
Some small sprites like soldiers head is also compatible.

Houses and Walls, however, are out of reach (to complicated new structure of the gfx to be "just" switched). Similar with Hyrule castle (PW has new diagonal wall which is not in Alttp).
Dark world areas are not compatible and can not be switched. Changing dark world to PW would require the new drawing of the entire world, similar to ice worlds of the PW.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:42:16 am by puzzledude »

CatnipPhilosophy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:34:58 am »
i see. thank you for answering this. you've clearly described the monstrosity of the task and there i will not take it upon myself to start on it.

it's too bad. the lttp engine is an amazing piece of work. i'd like to see more detail in it.