News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legacy of the Wizard DX  (Read 4376 times)

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Legacy of the Wizard DX
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
I was working on this hack for a while, but ended up putting on hold for a few years.  I finally managed to get around to finishing it.  It's pretty much complete.  I though that it would be a good idea to release it now and get some feedback since I don't think it's as polished as it could be.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bzy7qu6ecjk10an

For feedback, I was hoping to hear comments on level design, and some possible suggestions, any locations where a character could get stuck and prompt a reset(this game is known for that), and any other comments are welcome.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:12:00 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:04:10 am by creeperton »

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: Legacy of the Wizard DX
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »
Is this a Link's Awakening hack?

No. It's a hack for Legacy of the Wizard AKA Dragon Slayer 4.

And I'm pretty sure Mediafire is a subsidiary of Megaupload - I remember they were knocked out when Megaupload was - so I'd host my files somewhere else if I were you... like here at RHDN.

False. Mediafire is not connected in anyway to Megaupload.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
MediaFire and MegaUpload are completely separate entities and simply happen to be in the same business. They otherwise have nothing at all to do with each other.

schtolteheim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »
I noticed in the title screen there is already a graphical glitch.
In a dungeon shop in the uppermost and somewhat right section there were two invisible items for sale, both priced at 70 gold, both unbuyable.
In another shop the mother's wings are sold twice, the price is D0 gold each; that surely is more than one can accumulate.

I soon got aware that the old dungeon architecture is pretty much still intact. The changes were merely done within the rooms, as if furniture had been moved around. It mostly results in the removal of auxiliary structures so that some places early on will be too high to reach for the unsuited characters. The original was more ambiguous as to who belongs where.
The macro routes through the dungeon remain the same, and that's the biggest disappointment.
I got excited because I expected a whole new adventure, but now I'm uncertain if it would hold my interest.

I played through LotW in 2010, and to me it was the better Metroid. I loved the amazingly smart exploration aspect and the puzzle-heavy father's segment.
If I decided to replay it I would probably choose this hack or the MSX2 version. But with these few changes I'd rather still wait until I renew the experience.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:27:33 pm by schtolteheim »

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:20 pm »
I noticed in the title screen there is already a graphical glitch.
In a dungeon shop in the uppermost and somewhat right section there were two invisible items for sale, both priced at 70 gold, both unbuyable.
In another shop the mother's wings are sold twice, the price is D0 gold each; that surely is more than one can accumulate.

I soon got aware that the old dungeon architecture is pretty much still intact. The changes were merely done within the rooms, as if furniture had been moved around. It mostly results in the removal of auxiliary structures so that some places early on will be too high to reach for the unsuited characters. The original was more ambiguous as to who belongs where.
The macro routes through the dungeon remain the same, and that's the biggest disappointment.
I got excited because I expected a whole new adventure, but now I'm uncertain if it would hold my interest.

I played through LotW in 2010, and to me it was the better Metroid. I loved the amazingly smart exploration aspect and the puzzle-heavy father's segment.
If I decided to replay it I would probably choose this hack or the MSX2 version. But with these few changes I'd rather still wait until I renew the experience.

The shops wern't changed around much, and the D0 priced double wings are what the default settings are for a room with no shops.  As for the shops that sell invisible items, well that was kind of an implemented and not used feature I had planned that made the shopkeepers a bit um...snobby.  Let's just say that the more you prove your nobility, the more they will be willing to do business.  Pointless though.

I have to agree that I did a pretty lazy job designing the dungeons.  That's one of the reasons I didn't just outright call this a complete hack.  I started this hack in 2007 and only recently completed it.  As for clearly defining who goes where, well that's not entirely true.  Furthermore I made Roas(the boy) have a much larger role in the game.  Also I hope you enjoy annoying block puzzles.

I'm sure that now, if I really sat down and thought out a good dungeon, it would be much different.  I am a bit more adept now at ASM hacking than I was back then, and I bet the rom is capable of being expanded.  Besides, this is pretty much the only LOTW hack in existance, so right now it is better than nothing.

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:32 pm »
is this hack available anywhere else? the link is down.. ;) id love to give it a try.  :thumbsup:

schtolteheim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »
Here: *link removed*

Mod note: We don't link to ROMs. If you wish to distribute a hack, please do so via patches.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:53:49 am by danke »

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:45 am »
thank you very much for sharing!  ;)