I have a question that my friend and I would appreciate any help with.
We have completely finished translating and editing a Japanese RPG Maker 2000/2003 fan game, however we are experiencing problems when it comes to the playtesting process. My friend and I are able to play this game just fine without any problems. We initially had an error from a playtester where he received the message that he needed to install the run-time package. After some workarounds, we are able to make the game completely playable, without needing to download a run-time package. It was a matter of simply converting the game disk using RPG Maker 2003 instead of RPG Maker 2000.
Now we are currently stuck on this problem that we are unable to find a solution to: My friend and I both have computers that are set to display Japanese and non-Unicode text, therefore the game looks fine. However for people who are unable to view these fonts, the font either appears squished together even after the proper fonts are installed or the fonts don't show up at all. Or the game won't load at all for them, like when I play the fan game on my laptop, however it loads fine on my desktop PC.
I thought at first because we were using a Japanese executable file to run the game, but when I replaced it with an English executable file, we still receive problems with squishy text or the game will hang on them. Also installing the RTP doesn't help with the playtesters who had problems playing the game.
We are hoping that there is someone with RPG Maker translation experience who can help us out to make this game playable on all PCs. Thanks!!