• View Profile
Re: Pyron
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:49 am »
Just wanted to post how awesome this new flamethrower animation is:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »
Nice! The new boss is pretty bad-ass too.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »
Theme for the last area has been sequenced, but probably not going to alter it much. (Track #8 on the NSF) I took a more ambient, minimalistic approach. The bass and drumline are a bit unexciting though. I'm also going to put the link to the nsf on the first post.

Pyron.nsf

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »
Very rad. I pixeled out one of the drawings in my notebook for an enemy for that stage to go with the music.

The description given for the desired feel of the stage was very H.R. Giger-ish. My concept is that the last stage would be the breeding ground for the planet's creatures, pulsing and dark... and that the enemies in the stage would be very fetal-looking, half-made creatures... a desperate last line of defense from the planet.

Also, the new Maw sprite:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:30:10 am by M_tee »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2013, 08:06:03 pm »
Theme for the last area has been sequenced, but probably not going to alter it much. (Track #8 on the NSF) I took a more ambient, minimalistic approach. The bass and drumline are a bit unexciting though. I'm also going to put the link to the nsf on the first post.

Pyron.nsf

Sounds more like it should be used for the game ending IMO.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 11:43:03 am »
Correct pace for an ending theme maybe, but hardly triumphant  :P

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:30 am »
Correct pace for an ending theme maybe, but hardly triumphant  :P

Bad Ending. I dunno I mean take my opinion for what its worth. But if you want something that sounds more "This is my last stand" type music I like Abadox Stage 3 music or even something based off of Life Force's Final Stage. These fit more like what you'd normally hear on a final stage. Maybe use those as an influence?

But yeah just my two cents I just think your tune sounds like a bad or tragic ending to me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:45:39 am by johnny »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:50 pm »
Just sent these in for revisions on all the player's flames.

Was just a few tiles short of a proper animation for the new shots, instead of the 'flipping' sequence I had in the above picture. Will free them probably by cutting a frame or two from the ground flame sprite.

So here's revised shot animations:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:44:24 pm by M_tee »

Valkyrie_Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:42 pm »
This project is really shaping up to be awesome, I love the new sprites and animations.  :thumbsup:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:00 am »
For some reason, I've been on a font-making kick lately. I've uploaded four to the site and have two more in progress.

I produced the following font specifically for Pyron:

Pyron's getting the all CAPs, solid color version shown first in the image. Download a copy of it from its entry here or from my site.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »
Optomon it seems like its your niche to create rom hacks from a Castlevania base. It would seem like its a specialty of yours and you're great at it! I am curious though if you know of or plan to create any decompilation documents for Castlevania 2? I have seen a couple of tools and other things here and there but none for any games as descriptive as the Metroid one I've seen. Would be nice to have one of those for Castlevania 2.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
Bisqwit has a pretty detailed disassembly of the game, and I would recommend using that. Documentation is usually something that I do very sparingly; sometimes I just don't know where to begin. I would certainly like to make a document containing some of the more detailed routines, especially for sprites (such as how to make an enemy jump, collisions, or what routines make them change direction, etc). Also, relocating certain portions of data to different banks in the rom has been vital to this project.

Though I have hacked other games, I am "typecasted" to do work on CV NES games, and am familiar with the engine of all three of the games (CV2 the most by far).

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »
Bisqwit has a pretty detailed disassembly of the game, and I would recommend using that. Documentation is usually something that I do very sparingly; sometimes I just don't know where to begin. I would certainly like to make a document containing some of the more detailed routines, especially for sprites (such as how to make an enemy jump, collisions, or what routines make them change direction, etc). Also, relocating certain portions of data to different banks in the rom has been vital to this project.

Though I have hacked other games, I am "typecasted" to do work on CV NES games, and am familiar with the engine of all three of the games (CV2 the most by far).

Well I must say that Pyron worked out perfectly using the Simons Quest base. As far as typecasting is concerned, you pretty much stick to what you know and expand upon it which is a great way to make great works. Though as per your response to me here:

I would probably move to SNES if I went to another platform, but I don't actually want to be a rom hacker for the rest of my life and would probably rather move on to something more modern that uses high level languages. Or homebrew games for other platforms maybe.

It is great you're showing interest in other things besides rom hacking as well. Its funny too cause just as you asked that, I was actually going to ask you if you've toyed around with Python or HTML 5 as a programming language.

http://www.pygame.org/wiki/tutorials

http://www.html5gamedevelopment.com/html5-game-tutorials

My problem is that on my PC, I use Ubuntu so its trickier to find methods in programming and creating a game (or finding an engine) let alone find an easy way to rom hack and tile edit.

My guess is that if you know the ins and outs of ASM and are able to work the way you have with Castlevania 2, then you should have no problems working with other languages as I would think especially using the tools, making sprites in something like GIMP is far easier than tile editing (least for me). I would also assume that music editing and making MP3s is far easier to do with an instrument to PC hook up than it is making NSF files (assuming you have a guitar, piano keyboard or other).

I guess it would be a matter of how much you actually want to play around and what you want to play around with. I can recall way back when I used to play with RPG Maker 2000 and I made my own sprites and making custom midis in Anvil Studio....I never did finish that.

Anyways tying this all into Pyron, I could see Pyron being the start of great things for you. The fact that you're getting more and more original is appealing for me to watch and I must say you're extremely talented. So I really am hoping you actually do try out other languages so you can expand even further upon what you're doing now without having to worry about chaining yourself to the constraints and limitations that come along with the NES. :)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:25 pm »
We actually talked about the possibility of moving over to a PC Game engine such as Pygame, GameMaker, or Scirra for a PC port after completion. I know there's some improvements I'd love to make that just can't be done with our space limitations, flashes on the character sprite when firing, larger versions of bosses, more variety in level backgrounds, Ninja Gaiden-style cutscenes, etc, while still maintaining NES resolution and palette.

But yeah, I also agree that Pyron could be the beginning of great things... if the next step moves towards something that can be distributed 100% legally, to a much wider audience, and under real names instead of pseudonyms.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »
We actually talked about the possibility of moving over to a PC Game engine such as Pygame, GameMaker, or Scirra for a PC port after completion. I know there's some improvements I'd love to make that just can't be done with our space limitations, flashes on the character sprite when firing, larger versions of bosses, more variety in level backgrounds, Ninja Gaiden-style cutscenes, etc, while still maintaining NES resolution and palette.

But yeah, I also agree that Pyron could be the beginning of great things... if the next step moves towards something that can be distributed 100% legally, to a much wider audience, and under real names instead of pseudonyms.

Hmm well I would steer clear of GameMaker due to the fact that GameMaker doesn't have any support for Linux. You may want to look into something more multiplatform. Though those really do sound like awesome ideas. Also as you would probably know the things you could do as far as sprites and backgrounds are concerned without the limitations of the NES are far more advantageous. You could do then 2.5d if you wanted, have transparency and better effects, and who knows what else. As the project stands now it seems very enticing but with what you're talking about, I really can't wait to see what you guys have in store in the future. A style for a new Pyron similar to Dracula X Chronicles for PSP would be pretty awesome. Pyron X or whatnot :D

My guess is that the tools you'd use for graphics would likely be Illustrator, Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape or the like. If its 3D models made into 2.5d prob a modeling program for the sprites.

Nagato

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
Hmm well I would steer clear of GameMaker due to the fact that GameMaker doesn't have any support for Linux. You may want to look into something more multiplatform.
Surprisingly, GameMaker is fairly multiplatform these days. You can buy versions for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows 8 Phone, and even HTML5. I don't have much experience with it beyond just seeing it in the Steam store and playing with it for a minute a few years ago, though, so I can't comment on it beyond that.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »
I like Torque 2-D personally.

ETG

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2013, 10:32:08 pm »
Have you considered flash?

You could even make some real money with it.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
We'll figure it out someday. But first have to get close to closing this sucker out.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
Agreed that this conversation is for much further down the road. My priority now is making this look the best it can, and staying satisified with the fact that it can be burned to cart, slapped into a deck and enjoyed. 

I think everyone will be pleased with the next progress shown. The last version of the rom I've seen looks killer.