News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Pyron  (Read 77558 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Pyron
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 08:36:03 am »
Yeah I am really liking this. That piranha plant is nice. I mean its better than my take on a plant monster lol

I gotta hand it to you. The fine details and sprite work is tough. I'm sure you'll figure something out to do with the plant boss. :)

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 11:23:16 pm »
To me, it seems like the plant monster is jumping out of the background into the foreground... think you can do something nifty like that for the boss fight?

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »
To me, it seems like the plant monster is jumping out of the background into the foreground... think you can do something nifty like that for the boss fight?

Hmm yes he could do with the plants like what the bloodworm boss in Splatterhouse is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQu0_p8FU_8&feature=player_detailpage#t=49s

A mess of those Piranha Plants and multiple ones just spring out at you and you don't know where they are coming from.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:06 am »

That was one idea, to make him kind of fade in and out of the background, but still not sure about implementing it, and could probably just make writes to the sprite palettes.

I have now uploaded a video of a tenative version of this boss fight sequence:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6EUIa2O8Q

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »
That was one idea, to make him kind of fade in and out of the background, but still not sure about implementing it, and could probably just make writes to the sprite palettes.

I have now uploaded a video of a tenative version of this boss fight sequence:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6EUIa2O8Q

I know what you tried to do. You tried to make it seem like the plant was moving along the background and popping out of the scenery of sorts. Problem is, at first glance it looks more like the plant is flying across the screen. Ultimately though my opinion really doesn't matter much because whatever you do will certainly work out. I am keeping in mind that this is still in the works so there's plenty of things that can be done with that sprite. In fact, the NES can have the perspective you're looking for with some work. Look at NES Jaws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IKNv01Hlo

My guess is if you had the plant jump out the perspective would go from a small plant sprite to a large one. Fading in and out of the background IMO has a better look to it if it could be done rather than that floating appearance of the plant. But yeah really its what you are able to do and since you're making the game what you think looks nice.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »
I am aware that the perspecive isn't 100% effective. The simplest work-around for that at this point would be to just put the boss in the foreground and give it some form of "footing".

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »
I think the perspective is fine. The thing that kinda ruins the perspective is that the stem is what you are hitting and what flashes. Just change it so that the head is the target and it'll help the illusion more. Maybe also make the hit box on the head no bigger than on the stem so he doesn't become easier to kill.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:50 pm »
I think the perspective is fine. The thing that kinda ruins the perspective is that the stem is what you are hitting and what flashes. Just change it so that the head is the target and it'll help the illusion more. Maybe also make the hit box on the head no bigger than on the stem so he doesn't become easier to kill.

Yeah I agree with Vanya. If the stem and root is supposed to be way in the background, logically a character shouldn't be able to hit the bottom of the plant and only the top. That would give the appearance that the plant is stretching itself to get you. Good thinking Vanya :)

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 11:40:19 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4r6ow8Q44

Following suit. This works better then, doesn't it?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 12:04:12 am »
This looks really cool :) Would it be (somewhat) easy to add in a different attack pattern though? Like, maybe after a certain amount of hits, the sprite will cease moving, and then large vine tendrils would crash from the roof and floor, creating a barrier of damage for a few seconds. It looks like you already have a point where the attacks get faster, but I understand that's hardly a start to a whole new enemy behaviour :p

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:48 am »
I wish! I do understand the relative simplicity of it, but I am using up lots of space on this guy as it is. I do need to conserve, as I still have 5 bosses and one more level left to code in the game.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:01 am »
I wish! I do understand the relative simplicity of it, but I am using up lots of space on this guy as it is. I do need to conserve, as I still have 5 bosses and one more level left to code in the game.

Great job! Well I suppose with whatever next game you do, if its not a ROM hack, you won't have to worry about conserving or making adjustments. :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4r6ow8Q44

Following suit. This works better then, doesn't it?

Very nice! Looks much more logical now and maybe even slightly more challenging. Commenting on the change in attack pattern, how about simply adding in a second type of 'seed' when the change occurs? Perhaps every 4th or 5th 'seed' it spits could be a red one that is slower than the original green ones, but explodes on contact or something? That might make things more interesting with relatively minimal work involved.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 04:51:09 pm »

Boss for the sand level, nearly finished.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »
If you said ice level I'd still have believed you.  :P

Boss looks great. Only minor gripe I have is that it looks a bit monochromatic.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 09:05:49 am »
EDIT: Strangely, I'm pretty sure I just figured out the problem ... might have to talk about it in another time though.

I am having a lot of trouble with this guy.

The boss fights in this game are two screens large, which is apparently uncommon in an NES game. I nearly got him to stay on the screen consistently, but ever once in a 100 times he teleports to the other side of the screen. Having to tear down and recode some big sloppy algorithms. Right now I have him move left to right, but it might just be easier to have him burrow under the floor and pop up in another location.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2012, 05:01:02 am »
EDIT: Strangely, I'm pretty sure I just figured out the problem ... might have to talk about it in another time though.

I am having a lot of trouble with this guy.

The boss fights in this game are two screens large, which is apparently uncommon in an NES game. I nearly got him to stay on the screen consistently, but ever once in a 100 times he teleports to the other side of the screen. Having to tear down and recode some big sloppy algorithms. Right now I have him move left to right, but it might just be easier to have him burrow under the floor and pop up in another location.

Why not just make him like the bone dragon king from Castlevania 3. Just fly all around firing off blasts. I always thought the Bone Dragon King was kinda a cool boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djmmuGJcqEU

You wouldn't even have to use any effects if he just flies around a particular pattern such as a circular pattern.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2012, 04:17:59 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEB5wEJkfQw

Well, that's a tenative final version of this boss, don't think I'm going to do much else on him.

I still plan on having bosses in Area 5 and 6 flying around, so they probably won't be quite as challenging to program.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 04:54:04 am »
I sent a pm praising how awesome I felt this hack was, and stating I wanted to take a go at redesigning the character sprite. So, here's my go at it:

I wasn't quite sure based on the low res youtube videos, but from the few screenshots it looks like you've got two 16x16 sprites for his upper half, one looking straight and one looking up, and 5  16x16 lower half sprites, 3 for walking (with an A,B,C,B.. pattern), one for jumping, one for flying, and a 16x8 lower sprite for crouching. As for the jetpack and the crouching, maybe I'm wrong, but I gave it a shot.

In the top left is actual pixel size. Then we have each unique sprite. And the bottom shows the combinations of each lower frame with each upper frame.

Anyways man, use it if you like.

If not, chalk it up to some of your first fan art.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
I kind of like that actually. You are correct that there is about the animation frames of the player, except there is also an animation for shooting straight up for the upper half of the character.

Sending a . Nes of the frames would be appreciated.

This running animation reminds me of Samus. I also might throw in one of those spinning jumps that happens a lot in platformers and copy Samus, because the jump will often cause the player to bump their head on ceilings, especially in earlier levels where the jump is low.