• View Profile
Pyron
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »

Pyron

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9sBxqcN2sY

SOUNDTRACK:

Pyron.nsf

This is a major project I've been working. If anyone's been wondering what I've been mostly working on this past year, this is it. I aim to complete it within the later half of the year. Anyone who is familiar with my line of work probably could guess what game this is a rom hack of.

I will not be giving out any demos, but I'll probably put up a video demonstrating the gameplay at some point.

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Pyron
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:10:20 am »
Looks interesting. Kinda gives me a Metroid vibe.

On a side note, whatever happened to that CV2 hack you did the music for?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:59:22 am »
Kinda gives me a Metroid vibe.

This was my first thought (probably since I'm knee deep in a Metroid project right now), but there are some subtleties that make me wonder if it might be Kid Icarus.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:24:31 pm »
At first glance, it reminded me of Getsufuu Maden, but it can't possibly be that.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:59 am »
I can see where you could get some Kid Icarus from there, and even a bit of Getsu Fuuma Den. But, yeah, I doubt it's GFD.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »
Just a minor derail. I've been curious about Getsu Fuuma Den vs. Getsufuu Maden. Which is the correct way to say it, and how can we know?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »
Getsu Fuuma Den = Getsu Fuuma's Legend.

Dragoon ZERO

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • wasteland wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »
Is it based on Castlevania II?

It looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) some videos.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »
Is it based on Castlevania II?

This is in fact the correct answer.

Back in 2010, I did a large amount of code documentation of the game while working on the other Cv2 hack, when I realized I knew enough about game engines to effectively create my own game. It started out as a side project last year, and became my main focus more and more as time went by.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
Cool! One of my guesses was Castlevania II, but naturally I was thrown off by how you modified the HUD. Being able to see the number of hearts right there on the main screen, without having to pause, would have been so nice for Castlevania II.

Anyway, based on all that has already been revealed, this is an exciting project, indeed!

elbobelo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:28 am »
This game looks bad-ass.  Was your one-eyed Opto avatar always meant to be in this game? 

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 08:20:13 am »
This looks really nice. I would've never guessed this is based on the CV2 engine.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:27 pm »
This is in fact the correct answer.

Back in 2010, I did a large amount of code documentation of the game while working on the other Cv2 hack, when I realized I knew enough about game engines to effectively create my own game. It started out as a side project last year, and became my main focus more and more as time went by.

Very cool! :)

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »
The level at which things are modified is very high in this game because there are a lot of things I want to implement that don't necessarily use what the original engine has to offer. Also, its because I don't want people to compare it to Cv2 but rather experience it as its own game.

The opto enemy was the first enemy I programmed into the game. I originally drew that sprite over 5 years ago, as it was the original design for the second boss in Chorus of Mysteries, but the sprite was scrapped in favor of another one. It is based on a boss in Guardian Legend which has the same name as my screen name. A lot of other elements in this game are inspired by Guardian Legend.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:38 am »
Posting here so that this shows up on my thread list.  Gonna watch this one.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »
Looks pretty cool. Interesting that you have a web site for it and everything. If it isn't a sore spot, and I may ask(I didn't see what became of that thread or anything), what happened to the CV3 project?

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:03 pm »
That project is completely abandoned and I regard it as my greatest failure. It suffered from a huge lack of organization and planning, rampant glitches, and there were lots of issues involving memory shortages. The project was over ambitious and had gotten out of hand, so I decided to let it go.

This project, by contrast, is advancing at a much faster rate, and is very carefully planned and documented, so nothing is really exhausted. More than half of the game's layout is finished. The only gameplay element I haven't started developing yet are the boss fights, which I plan on doing last. And I still have a whole bank empty in the rom for future considerations. I think what I learned not to do while working on Cadence of Agony has helped a lot on this project.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »
Yeah, I can believe the over ambitious part. That was the first time I ever saw a hack try to change a games genre.

Good as that looked, it was still Castlevania. This one looks like some crazy amount of hacking going on all around, especially if the whip has been replaced with projectile weaponry and everything.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:29 pm »
Well, it's looking to shape up to be as epic as the Dragoon X Omega hacks. More so even.
I'm sure that lots of CV2 fans will be interested in how you implement true bosses. Not to mention the boss gates.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 12:35:08 am »
.....what happened to the CV3 project?

....That project is completely abandoned

:'(

Was really looking forward to that one. Any type of playable version around?

This project looks very cool too and I loved Simon's Quest.

Not too fond of how the theme of Pyron look, but it still looks very cool and I look forward to it.