I am kinda a newbie, but honestly I thought I should point something out. Maybe someone should fan-translate the Saturn game, Tengai Makyou IV The fourth Apocalypse.
I haven't found anything (i.e. saturn tools, format documentation) to start such a project, but since there are the guys fan-translating those Shining Force III JAP-only games, i think it should be feasible, and here's why:
- I think expanding the char limit isn't needed for the plot script at least. The game easily prints 18 char per line, X 3 lines = 54 char. (for comparaison, Okamiden DS has an overall 30char limit). Also, the char set has full english set chars (it pops up quite often in-game, being set in US) which doesn't look bad at all even with fixed width font
- For the menu, that's another story: there is a 2-kanji char limit for Options, and none of the magic/item names exceed 8chars, but that could be worked around by using 2-letter combinations in a single char.
- The battle engine has the enemies sometimes (only if they are a major boss, though) voice their attack without text shown. This might involve ASM hacking, but is a cosmetic change. The FMVs are probably in FILM form (a Cinepack variant, but again, I haven't figured out anything in the disk tree) and hard-subbing them might be a better alternative.
- The game is set in the US, so the graphic editing should be minimal (we may have to put up with some engrish)
- The Party mamber's names are stored as graphics, and thus need special graphical edits, same for the title menu, ..
- I may be going too far with this, but maybe we should increase the characters walking speed. It's irrritating.
Again, I realize how hacking is especially a tedious process, more so with the extra-complicated Saturn, but I thought I might share with you some observations about this favourite game of mine, even though I'm by no means appointed to, given my skills at this are largely primitive at best, and non-existent with the Saturn's (and PSP) hacking. So sorry for any annoyance this post might have caused.
Looking forward for the completion of Zero/Manjimaru project, and wish you the best of luck!