First note that I have started a small homepage with an introduction to my project here: http://www.au-ro-ra.net/index.php?page=feoeztrans&lang=en
I have been playing around with Far East of Eden Zero on and off for a few years now. After byuu had dropped the game, I thought about translating this game myself as I wanted it to receive a quality translation. Then, a few months ago, I documented my results so far and started working on it seriously. My philosophy is: After translation, the game should still be playable on the real hardware (that means e.g. no fancy ROM expanding), but nevertheless as few compromises as possible should be made. We will see how this will work out; I think if there are compromises to be made, it will be with the script size.
The German translation will be done by myself, but only after all hacking is finished. Any capable translators into other languages willing to translate the script are welcome; but be aware that it is huge.
I already finished the following tasks:
- 16x16 dialog VWF
- 8x8 menu VWF
- complete script dump
- some menu hacking
- inserter/dumper for the compressed graphics
Obvious things still missing:
- implementation of text compression (I consider arithmetic coding)
- ideas of how to localize the strategy naming
I am by no means an expert on compression, so if anybody knows a good (de)compression algorithm for text that can be implemented on SNES hardware, let me know (LZSS won't work - there's no RAM space left).
Here are a few screenshots of my results so far. These show a work in progress; everything is still subject to change. I'll start with a few before-after screenshots:
This one shows the equip menu where you can see the new 8x8 VWF in action.
Here I changed the line spacing in order to allow for longer sub-menu names.
I replaced the kanji with some symbols to demonstrate the insertion of compressed graphics (the right one is a bit darker because I made the screenshot with bsnes - Snes9x, which I use for debugging, still uses the graphics pack...)
These show the new 16x16 VWF implementation (the font will be changed for the actual translation):