News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Possible to open graphics files of a Saturn game?  (Read 1762 times)

RetroProf

• View Profile
Possible to open graphics files of a Saturn game?
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »
I've got Sword & Sorcery here, and popping the disc in my PC drive shows a bunch of CHR files, with the names of various in-game characters. All are CHR extension and very small. I've googled and some places say CHR files are 3D models, used in games, but S&S is a 2D game, and all the characters are sprites.

I specifically want to open all the portrait images, because I really can't be bothered to playthrough for 15 hours just for some screens. The file names imply that's how they're stored.

Any advice on how one might be able to open said files? I can probably upload one or two online to see, if needed. They're about 10kb each.

Is this even possible?

EDIT:
I should add, there's another folder called Window with a file called WINTALK.TEX, which could be the face portraits. Same as above - how would one open a TEX file?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:17:03 am by Szczepaniak »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: Possible to open graphics files in a Saturn game?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:23:22 pm »
Well, starting by the correct title "Re: Possible to open graphics files OF a Saturn game?"

Possible is everything (or almost). I would start by searching in google what graphic formats the saturn supports and then go to the utilities sections and download the various graphic tools there and try them out hoping that they are not compressed. Hopening the files with am hex editor could be useful as well.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Possible to open graphics files of a Saturn game?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:28:35 pm »
Man, someone should have replied cause I just popped in my Castlevania disc and want to look at the CHR's on this too. Does anyone know how to look at CHR's? I see no tools for it on the website.