News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Massimo  (Read 10456 times)

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
Massimo
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »

Well since my old Massimo thread seems to be gone I decided to create a new one for discussion. This was a full Mario World mod I made two years ago. It was an experiment at somewhat trying to create a new game with some of the Mario assets while having its own unique identity. A lot of the graphics, sprites, music, and a bunch of other things have been changed. The game plays out like an adventure, influence by my love of a specific style of old school adventure games like Shadow of the Beast. Mood, atmosphere, and lots of variety was the focus here.

If you're new to Massimo should warn you ahead of time that the levels are intentionally long.  Each one containing several unique sections that flow into each one another. Due to how the save system is set up in Mario World it made it difficult to put check points in each new section. So you can go at this Shadow of the Beast style, attempting to make it as far as you can to the end with the default checkpoint system in place, or you can just use save states at the beginning of each new area. The game can be a little tough but I'm not one for putting much in the way of "GOTCHA" moments like in rom hack such as Kaizo Mario.

As stated before the game plays out like an adventure game, kinda like Metroid. While Metroid is more about navigating a labyrinth of rooms trying to find a power up to reach a new area, Massimo is more like a long trek through various lands to unlock the next item that can get you further in the game. These items are usually hidden at first, but there are several clues throughout the game that will give you a hint at where the item is located. For those who hate racking your brain on puzzles I have provided a strat guide for you to help you out.

Also within the game there are two hidden hidden games: Massi8Bit and MassiBits. Massi8Bit is an 8bit prequel adventure with its own quirks. Finding it can be a bit tricky but if your feeling a little lost just head hom and look to the skies for an answer.

The second hidden game is MassBits. Think of this as a trippy trip through gaming history. It's the shortest of the three games but the most unique in design. If you see this question mark you'll know you're there. I won't say much beyond that since it's a surprise...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game and if you get stuck or have any questions feel free to ask.  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:39:48 pm by Enk »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Massimo
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »
I remember enjoying this back when you first released it all those years ago, but I also remember it seeming somewhat buggy back then. Have any glitches (that you know of) been fixed?

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
I remember enjoying this back when you first released it all those years ago, but I also remember it seeming somewhat buggy back then. Have any glitches (that you know of) been fixed?

Yeah I remember people having some issues when I first posted it a while back. The bugs people talked about should've been all ironed out with the final version. I did a recent playthrough for the first time in almost two years and didn't notice any bugs. Playing it again without having seen it in such a long time was kind of an interesting experience too. I had forgotten where I put all the items! It was quite interesting to play it with fresh eyes (though I did notice some things I could've done much better).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:13:47 pm by Enk »

trudatman

• View Profile
    • trudatman games
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »
do them, please.

"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." -HJ Simpson

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »
do them, please.

It's been a long time since I've touched Massimo or the Lunar Magic Editor, so I forgotten a lot about it. Plus I would also have to find the original edit files hidden on a hard drive somehwere. The game is pretty much finished as is. Also I've been working nonstop on a spiritual successor to Massimo for the past two years. It's not a hack unfortunately. It is pretty much the game i want to make out of Massimo but with everything I've learned from making that game. I could post some screens and info later if the mods allow it.

trudatman

• View Profile
    • trudatman games
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
it is nice to read that you are still making games.  I always feel like it is worth the effort to go back to old projects with a refreshed approach.  this is my encouragement to you.  I hope to read of your current project here.

"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." -HJ Simpson

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:07 pm »
I am struck with this hack.  Can u help me?  It is there other way after I pass 2 levels?  I am end up oasis.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:47 am »
I am struck with this hack.  Can u help me?  It is there other way after I pass 2 levels?  I am end up oasis.

One thing I should've made clear is that some areas can't be fully explored early on unless you've unocked a block or an item. These areas are usually marked with no music or enemies and may have a noticable roadblock early on. Those areas you can just START + SELECT out of (something I should've made clear on that, my apologies). On the world map you can go further than just Oasis and Yg. If you want to know your next destination just go:

Spoiler:
Down from Oasis and Right from Yg to the Blue Hills

Also specific areas without enemies like Yg, Oasis, and Massimo's Hole you will probably need to go back to in the future. These areas are meant to be poked around in without any threat of death. Any major areas with enemies you won't have a need to backtack to once you've completed it. Also nearly every skeleton you meet provides some kind of riddle to help you find an item on one of these stages. There's a guide included with the game to help out if you get stuck futher.

Hope that helps a bit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:40:41 am by Enk »

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »
Oh ok thank you.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »
Is there supposed to be music?  Or just clicking (i used IPSwin)?

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:44 pm »
Is there supposed to be music?  Or just clicking (i used IPSwin)?

Use LunarIPS on a headered ROM, verified by NSRT. IPSwin is a pile of shit, don't use it.

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 01:11:19 am »
Ok, went ahead and did that.  The sound works so long as I avoid the initial island: when I move up to it, it goes silent and has redundant clicking in the Home world.  Anyone else?

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
Strange I haven't heard anyone having that problem. Now there are several places where there's no music at the beginning, but it seems like your having a patching problem. What version of Super Mario World are you working with and what emulator are you using?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »
From what I understand, most SMW music hacks are made with a hack/app called addmusic.
And it is now known that addmusic is incompatible with a real SNES APU, and thus is broken in SNES9x and bsnes, which use more accurate sound emulation than ZSNES.

Could that be the problem?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 03:22:40 am »
Most SMW hacks don't work outside of ZSNES, and it's been that way for a very long time. Even before SNES9x added more accurate sound emulation.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »
That's probably it, I'm using snes9x.  Will test on another emulator when I get back home after the weekend.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 03:48:50 am »
Err, I misspoke. I meant most SMW music hacks. Stuff that doesn't touch the music is typically fine.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Farlight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
I had the same problem with the music.   

I'm running on a mac and both SNES9x and BSNES cannot play the music properly and starts a constant 'clicking' sound.

ZSNES works fine though.

Interesting hack but I haven't made it very far yet.

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
Out of curiosity, does mario's mini adventure have an ending?  I've beaten the boss, found the stage select, the night time stage select, and the cloud room with 4 dino coins...anything im missing?

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 05:55:20 am »
Massimo and Mario's Mini Adventure endings are mostly harmless areas to play around in. This is kind of inspired by my fondness of game endings like Toe Jam and Earl where the happy new area to explore is the ending. Massimo has 2 1/2 ending levels where Massimo finds a new hom (you can change the daytime cycles where at night the monsters come out). It's been a while since I've played Mini Adventure but it should be the one right after you fight King Koopa.