News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hyrule Magic Dialog Trouble.  (Read 2501 times)

some random dude

• View Profile
Hyrule Magic Dialog Trouble.
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »
Hi, im some random guy.
SO iv been working with Hyrule magic to Make a little Zelda Rom hack, its going to be similar gameplay but with different story and characters, basically a graphics and Dialog hack. 
HMagic is hard to use at times but so far i have been able to figure out stuff on my own,....until we get to the Dialog.

the editor looks pretty straight forward. but when i tried editing it, it messed everything up.
So i changed one dialog as a test at first. One, and it wasn't a special one just the Pyramid message about the silver arrow. (and yes i got all the []'s things right) and i didn't make it to long, in fact i made the message shorter.
and the Entire games text went mixed around so now NPC say half messages that belong to other places/NPC's and its just one Big dialog mess.
And changing the message back to the original doesn't seam to fix it ether, nothing i try seams to fix it.

Luckily i got a back up so i didn't lose anything.
later (after returning to my backup) i tested Editing Links uncles dialog as a test, and that seamed to work fine.

is this just a one time thing? or Did i do something wrong? (im very careful when editing)
so im worried that i wont be able to change the dialog. i got a huge project here and i got half the graphics done, if i cant change the dialog then im stuck.

should i look for another Dialog edit program? or can Hmagic really do it? or will this happen all the time?

some info on the game if anyone cares:
the plan was to change the Dark world in to the "future" and all the "Darkworld bosses" will be Future versions of NPC's you meet in the light world, (so dont tease the sign guy he might become an evil warlock)
all this would be done via Dialog and art. Putting short story's around each boss.

puzzledude

• View Profile
Re: Hyrule Magic Dialog Trouble.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »
Edit your text in txt editor first and copy paste it into HM. If you are ok with the one row editing, you can do it in HM directly. After editing, your txt is actually fine, but you see it wrong because of the save states. Same thing with the indoor blocks and some other things. Thus you must load a srm save to be able to reload your game correctly after txt changes.

some random dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:38 am »
Ahh so its the save states that messes it up, i knew it messed up graphics & stuff but it always seamed to be fixed when i left the "aria"
after reading this i re-played the game from the start up to that aria, and it worked fine now.

Thanks for the help Puzzledude. ^^
i feel so noobish now.

BTW anyone know how to activate the boss "Blind" with out the girl though?

JamesBond007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:15:58 pm »
This sounds like a rescue mission - save NPCs from the past in the future - defeating the NPC's future form (boss) will revert him/her to his/her's "past" form.

Maybe you should hack the girl's graphics (change her into NPC from the past) and keep the rest similar to the original ALttP - he/she will follow you to the boss room and transform into Blind?

some random dude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »
The 4th Dark world dungeon wont be changed, but the girl should be someone from the past.
Who then turns in To Blind or more exact something that fights like blind (all the graphics will be majorly different)
im also trying to change all the dark world tiles to look like Ruin'd Light world tiles.

im asking about blind since im making Ganon's tower in to a boss rush, and i got every boss except Blind set up.