News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Retranslation Help?  (Read 8114 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Retranslation Help?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:34 am »
Try searching for just the lowercase letters. Or relative search; they might be using a different table.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 02:29:00 pm »
I've done every kind of search, but nothing comes up. I think maybe that data is stored elsewhere in the game. I think I found the Denjuu names though. At least there's that. I've just been editing out names I can't change otherwise and such.

I should probably figure out how many characters fit on a line, too... This won't be pretty, but it'll work...

And you know, the engrish isn't all that hard to understand.

...What do I do if the ROM has a lot of spaces where there shouldn't be spaces, and the lines I've got edited for one character run into another character's text? Also, there's a lot of junk stuff around, like random giant blocks of aaaaaaabbbbbbccccccccccdddddddddeeeeeeeeeeffffffffggggggggghhhh and so on.

Also, the Pokemon Diamond ROM contains the information for Pokemon Jade, as well. Strange.

Edit) I just realized I'm still trying to get some hand holding! :( I guess I'm horrible at this stuff...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:12:44 pm by Sora de Eclaune »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:04 am »
...What do I do if the ROM has a lot of spaces where there shouldn't be spaces, and the lines I've got edited for one character run into another character's text? Also, there's a lot of junk stuff around, like random giant blocks of aaaaaaabbbbbbccccccccccdddddddddeeeeeeeeeeffffffffggggggggghhhh and so on.

Also, the Pokemon Diamond ROM contains the information for Pokemon Jade, as well. Strange.

1. Are you trying to edit the script using a hex editor? Dump it using romjuice or (preferably) Cartographer instead, format it for reinsertion, edit it in a text editor, then reinsert using Atlas. This way, the software will take care of all the tricky pointer work for you. If you still don't have enough room for your reedited script and the game uses full 32-bit pointers, just move it to the end of the ROM or something - unlike NES/SNES/GB, GBA games can access the entire ROM without pesky bank switching.

2. Tell me about it. King of Bandit Jing Angel and Devil versions differ by only a couple of bytes.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »
If you still don't have enough room for your reedited script and the game uses full 32-bit pointers, just move it to the end of the ROM or something - unlike NES/SNES/GB, GBA games can access the entire ROM without pesky bank switching.
It's GBC, so it's unlikely the script is going to have a bank byte in the pointers.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:49 pm »
*facepalm* Sorry, wasn't thinking. -_-;

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »
1. Are you trying to edit the script using a hex editor? Dump it using romjuice or (preferably) Cartographer instead, format it for reinsertion, edit it in a text editor, then reinsert using Atlas. This way, the software will take care of all the tricky pointer work for you. If you still don't have enough room for your reedited script and the game uses full 32-bit pointers, just move it to the end of the ROM or something - unlike NES/SNES/GB, GBA games can access the entire ROM without pesky bank switching.

I'm editing it with WindHex like you told me to.

Also, Cartographer isn't working. It's stuck trying to open FF1.nes and I can't get it to do anything else. I've even tried dragging the ROM into the .bat file, but that doesn't change a thing.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »
Edit the .bat file. It's just a sample to show you how it's done.

Right-click and select "Edit." That'll open it in Notepad. Change the filenames to your ROM and your command file and you're done. Yes, you'll also need to create said command file, but again, the FF1 command file should be a good enough example. The FF1 command file is actually set up to dump the script two ways: one raw (i.e. direct dump of the script data), and the other pointer relative (i.e. using the game's built-in pointer table to figure out where each string is).

On the WindHex front - you're only supposed to use it as far as helping you figure out the table. It's useful for seeing what the script looks like when it's tucked into the ROM, but actually editing the script in WindHex is madness. (SPARTA.)

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:03 pm »
I'm not sure if I've done this right...

Cartographer gave me the same thing that Windhex does when you dump the text, and in the txt file that should have pointers and text has nothing at all.

Also, I've noticed that some parts of the script use <END1> but others don't...

...I think I'm better off not even trying to edit this ROM. It looks like the translators just smashed something together and didn't care if they botched up the code.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:38:33 pm by Sora de Eclaune »