News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Retranslation Help?  (Read 8115 times)

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
Retranslation Help?
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:44:50 am »
New to the forums, so I don't know where to put this.

I want to edit the bootleg Pokemon Diamond/Jade ROMs so they're in proper english (until the actual translation of the Japanese versions comes out), but I don't know how to edit anything! There doesn't seem to be any kind of tools released for the game or its Japanese counterparts (Keitai Denjuu Telefang Power/Speed), so...

Is anyone willing to help me with this? I'd rather take on just editing the text for now, so I can get used to this stuff, and I don't really want to try actually hacking right now until I really know how to do it...

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Retranslation Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:20:10 am »
You're not the first to attempt this, though I don't remember who was the last person to try. You might want to do some hunting around - the project might still be in progress.

Oh, and hello. Remember me? :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »
I know there's a project still in progress, but that's for a proper 100% translation of the Jap ROMs... I just want to make a semi-understandable grammar edit / retranslation of the wonky engrish bootlesg, which actually doesn't have all the features in tact (i.e. the link cable features cause the games to freeze). It would be a holdover for the proper thing.

And hello! Long time no see!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »
Well. :3 Tools for specific games are a rare thing; what we have are general tools that are applicable to a wide variety of situations. Sometimes there's enough interest to make a full-blown editor, like with Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger, but the vast majority of games are uncharted territory. That said, there are some general rules that most games abide by, like how strings are stored. Figure out the encoding, make a table, dump the script, format it for reinsertion, translate/edit it, then reinsert it. It's a bit more complicated than I make it sound, of course. ^_^;

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:52 am »
That's what I'm trying to learn how to do, but I don't want to start an actual project where I'm doing the hacking until I'm sure I know the stuff. However, I'd like to have something tangible done this month.... Y'know, at least to have somehting that vouches for the quality of whatever work I do.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:08 am »
Well, we've got plenty of docs to help beginners get started.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8350.0.html

You probably won't need to do any hacking at all, unless the game's script is compressed - just extraction/insertion.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
Edit) Nevermind me.

What if I wanted to follow the intro to tables tutorial, but with the ROM I wanted to edit? I don't think there are any programs that act like Nesticle, except are for the GB/GBC.

I looked at the utilities section but there were no tools at all for GB/GBC unless you wanted to IPS patch things or edit official Pokemon ROMs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:53:19 pm by Sora de Eclaune »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »
The methods described in InVerse's doc won't work in this case.

Phew...wasn't expecting that info to be so inapplicable. Right, lemme try explaining.

The general idea InVerse is describing is using the graphics data to uncover the game's text encoding format. In Ye Olde Days, you could rely on the entire font being available in VRAM, but nowadays it's more common for games to only transfer the tiles they absolutely need into video memory. Fortunately, that doesn't stop us.

You can still use an emulator like VBA or (preferably) NO$GBA to view the game's VRAM while it's running, but if the entire font isn't being loaded into VRAM at once, you'll have to hunt for the font in the ROM itself. Tile Layer Pro and Tile Molester are good picks for this. If the font isn't compressed, sniffing it out should be a simple matter of scrolling through the endless reams of data until you find it. This will tell you the pattern of the game's encoding, which will help you figure out the encoding itself.

Once you've found the font, you can then use a relative search tool like Monkey-Moore to help build the table. Search for a pattern - preferably an all-lowercase word with no punctuation - and it should find at least one result. Once you've identified the precise hex values for this handful of characters, you can use the font pattern you found to fill in the blanks.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
Um...do what?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:45:50 pm »
Right right. Bit confused there; I was thinking Telefang was a GBA game, but you're working on the original GBC game, right? So.

Same story as above, but you'll want to use BGB - it's a GB/C emulator with an excellent debugging suite, including VRAM viewer. The rest of the process is unchanged. Find the font, identify the pattern of characters, then use that info with a relative search tool to figure out the table. Once you've got that worked out, you can dump the script using romjuice or Cartographer (recommended) and reinsert using Atlas.

EDIT: And if your efforts ever get that far, might I recommend an English title? "Telefang: Mobile Monsters." (Which is pretty much the Japanese title word-for-word, apart from the 電 in 電獣 and the actual order.)

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »
I'm sorry...I'm still confused.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 07:09:37 pm »
All right, let's start from the top. At which point did I lose you?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:55:49 am »
1) http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Keitai_Denjuu_Telefang:TBL
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) ????
4) Profit

Gaaaaasp.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
All right, let's start from the top. At which point did I lose you?
Well, now that the table's been literally posted right after your post.... I'm no longer lost.

I kind of tried following directions on tutorials but I just couldn't figure out the part where I find the table.

1) http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Keitai_Denjuu_Telefang:TBL
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) ????
4) Profit

Gaaaaasp.
I didn't even know that existed.

Thanks! :D

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:28 pm »
Well, sweet. High five. ^_^

But anyways, finding a table is...like solving a cryptogram. The first part is figuring out what pattern the cipher uses - usually, by finding the font in the ROM using a graphics editor. The second part is applying that knowledge to a relative search, which is basically a cryptogram solver - if you know the pattern, you can search for a string matching that pattern, and if the relative search finds one, you can fill in the rest of the blanks.

If you've never solved a cryptogram before, I recommend reading the last part of Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold-Bug. Seriously. After they find the treasure, the story goes into a remarkably thorough explanation of how to solve a cryptogram, complete with worked example.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:02 pm »
Huh. I've actually read that one. It's one of my favorites. Strange that I never really paid any mind to the cryptogram part.

I guess now all that's left is finding the place the text is stored and have at it... Hopefully I won't need any hand holding for this part.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
WindHex has an ASCII search function. Load the ROM, load the table, then CTRL+F and have fun.

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:00:22 am »
So I copy/paste the text from that wiki into a txt file, save it as a tbl file? No other edits?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:45 am »
Pretty much. The control code characters at the end are the only snafu:

Code: [Select]
E2=<LINE>
E104=<END1>
E105=<END2>

Sora de Eclaune

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:57:15 am »
Edit) me being an idiot.

One problem I'm having! I can't find the names/menus anywhere in the file to edit those, as well.
I.E. Looking for 'Contin' to edit that to say 'Load'. That cannot be found. Looking for 'Commun' and all it finds is 'communicate' or something.
...I can't even find how in the world the player's name is BEK and the game interprets the player's name as .R.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:45:48 am by Sora de Eclaune »