News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Shadowrun CD compression

Started by Hildebrande Glossop, January 24, 2012, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hildebrande Glossop

Hi guys, taking a poke around the ol' Shadowrun sega cd, and with the help of the tools in the abandoned project section, I was able to extract lots of bin files from the iso. Does anyone know what kind of compression is used, if any? Til then, I'll play with the hex editor some more ;D

Getting the impression this is one of those "nobody hacked it yet for a reason" games...

cj iwakura

I know some people who might be able to help. I'll see.

Failing that, I wish you luck, and if you want, I'll be happy to assist. This needs to be completed.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Hildebrande Glossop

I'm slowly working on the translation, but any help on everything else would be gracefully appreciated :)

cj iwakura

I can help with the writing and translation aspects for sure.

Hildebrande Glossop

Okay. It's still all pretty preliminary at this point, I'm only just starting the translation now, a few pages in. I would love to know that it is hackable, at least. And I will let you know if there's something you can do with the translation and whatnot. :thumbsup: Let me know if you find a scan of the manual, it would be really helpful.

Nice to know other people are interested in this one.

esperknight

I'm the one cj iwakura is talking of probably.  I can take a look later to see how there compressed.  I have to say though if you have the text out then may be there not compressed as I don't recall a tool to uncompress anything that pack... but could be wrong.  I think what the issue may have been was something regarding the number of fonts or something... but I'm prob wrong as I have a poor memory for such things :)  I know Guest wrote the issues in those logs and readmes included but been a while since I've looked at it.

Hildebrande Glossop

I couldn't get anywhere with just a hex editor, all the kanji and font .bin files appeared empty. Not sure if I just have a bad iso or if there's some kind of compression. I haven't actually dumped the script, I'm just translating from screen caps. You may be right about the number of fonts...seems like often the game differs in the kanji used, from scene to scene.

esperknight

Oh gotcha.  When you say empty are you talking about just only having garble or nothing in them? If  the former, yeah definitely compressed.  If the the latter, definitely something wrong.  If I get a chance I'll take a look tonight.  Haven't hacked on the sega cd before so should be interesting :)

Good to see I may have remembered something right :)  The fonts will be a pain probably but we'll see.

Edit:  looking at the description it does seem to have a de/compressor already (shows you how bad my memory is :).  You should be able to copy off the files and stick them in whatever dir it needs to be in then run the batch file to extract the scripts. Can't remember specifics but that's usually how its setup.

cj iwakura

How large is this game's script, by the way? The Hg101 article makes it seem like a VN of sorts.

Hildebrande Glossop

It's totally a VN, plus all the other stuff. :thumbsup: Probably has a comparable amount of text, but who knows?  I know it's probably large enough that I'm better off not knowing exactly how much... ;D

reyvgm

There was a guy doing the script translation some years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091027002347/http://geocities.com/okamura_kyodai/

Hildebrande Glossop

That's the same one posted over here, right? http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/MEGA_CD:_Shadowrun
I think the guy didn't get past the intro, but maybe I just can't find it.