News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Silva Saga-II English Patch Complete!  (Read 30223 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Re: Translations: Silva Saga-II English Patch Complete!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:11 pm »
I kept the original mercs that I hired throughout the entire game, I never lost any. It's better this way, as you don't have to hire new ones (they cost more later on) and nor do you have to level them up or re-equip them again. If a merc dies in battle, their equipment also disappears, so it's a good idea to keep them alive. Which shouldn't be a problem, seeing as how they're quite strong.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:20 pm »
Almost too strong, seeing as how they heal completely after every fight!  I'm pretty sure that wasn't in Silva Saga I...  it makes the idols much more useful, but it also makes it tempting to just rely on the mercs to slaughter everything (which I assume would be a bad idea, since they probably can't handle later bosses on their own.  My mercs have completely wiped the floor with absolutely everything else I threw them at, though, and they're just starting mercs who have leveled outrageously from all the stuff they murdered.)

There's something mildly amusing about having the townsfolk begging me to kill a monster; idly marching up to it, snapping my fingers, and doing my nails while my mercs splatter it all over the wall; then coming back to collect a reward...  also, apparently 100 gold is enough to make these guys my slaves for their entire lives?  It was more amusing in the first game, where it fit in with how you'd expect a prince to actually handle all these things, but it's still amusing here.

EDIT:  Back on the subject of the translation, I thought the Bakemono thing was a bit weird, too.  And I didn't even notice the space thing until it was mentioned here, but now it feels like everyone is talking - like - this!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:36:13 pm by Aquillion »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:19 pm »
Almost too strong, seeing as how they heal completely after every fight!  I'm pretty sure that wasn't in Silva Saga I...  it makes the idols much more useful, but it also makes it tempting to just rely on the mercs to slaughter everything (which I assume would be a bad idea, since they probably can't handle later bosses on their own.  My mercs have completely wiped the floor with absolutely everything else I threw them at, though, and they're just starting mercs who have leveled outrageously from all the stuff they murdered.)

Mercenaries are a powerful asset yes, however, you'll find you cannot depend on them on every given circumstance, especially against stronger bosses as the game
progresses. I imagine mercenaries were implemented by Seta as a way to allow the player to quickly dismiss the overworld battles while going from a place to another
without wasting too much MP or supplies.

Quote from: Aquillion
There's something mildly amusing about having the townsfolk begging me to kill a monster; idly marching up to it, snapping my fingers, and doing my nails while my mercs splatter it all over the wall; then coming back to collect a reward...  also, apparently 100 gold is enough to make these guys my slaves for their entire lives?  It was more amusing in the first game, where it fit in with how you'd expect a prince to actually handle all these things, but it's still amusing here.

Its true they come cheap at first, but if they die later in the game, the rehiring, reequipping and retraining process will show itself to be costly, and not just in the manner
of gold coins.

Quote from: Aquillion
EDIT:  Back on the subject of the translation, I thought the Bakemono thing was a bit weird, too.  And I didn't even notice the space thing until it was mentioned here, but now it feels like everyone is talking - like - this!

These will be addressed in due time, thanks for the feedback.

Trixar_za

• View Profile
    • The Trixarian Zone
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:40 am »
I just finished it ;)

Anyway, a few minor notes. I found I could continue with ZSNES (yeah, yeah, I know) after the post-death issue. I used the Call spell and saved my soul, reset the game and restored my saved game. No more corruption ;)

Anyway, I noticed something with the end credits. Not sure if this is yet another ZSNES related bug, but all the text seems too far to the right:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:18:44 pm by Trixar_za »

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36:42 am »
I'm pretty sure that's caused by Zsnes ;)
I really wish they'd update that old emulator!!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
Its Zsnes fault, really. I played through the game
twice on SnesGT, plus I ran tests in problematic
areas both on BSNES and Snes9x 1.52/53,
got no issue whatsoever for the whole game
on any of the the said emulators, so they
are the way to go.

As someone mentioned in another
RHDN board, Zsnes is bottom tier
by today's standards and usually just
a choice to be avoided if possible.
Don't get me wrong, its not a bad
emulator by any means, but it
will inevitably suffer when accuracy
is needed.

Edit: Congrats on finishing the game, Trixar_za,
hopefully you enjoyed playing it as much as we
enjoyed working on it.

Trixar_za

• View Profile
    • The Trixarian Zone
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 04:28:02 am »
Yeah, I do have Snes9x 1.52 which, ironically, I packaged for SliTaz Linux. I just couldn't figure out how to make my save game (not save state) work with Snes9x and I was too lazy to google how. :P

It was pretty good. I don't really play many games all the way through. For example I only finished one Final Fantasy game for the SNES and that would be FF5... with a parody patch applied. Good luck with your future projects :)

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »
I've probably played about 10 hours so far, and no problems using SNES9x other than my stupid controller not working a few times.  I tried plugging my PS3 controller in, but I can't get SNES9x to recognize it.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:55 pm »
That's good to hear, Heratio.
Do keep us posted of further developments
and we hope you enjoy the game.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 04:16:15 am »
Bongo, Wild Bill, Red Soul,

Congrats on getting this one out.   :thumbsup:

I know this will be a good one.  All of your translations are good ones!

I need to take a break from hacking, so I can find some time to play SS1, so I can play this one...

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:34 am »
As someone mentioned in another
RHDN board, Zsnes is bottom tier
by today's standards and usually just
a choice to be avoided if possible.
Don't get me wrong, its not a bad
emulator by any means, but it
will inevitably suffer when accuracy
is needed.

Huh, didn't realize things had progressed to that point. I always mained 9x with Z as the backup for whatever wouldn't run in 9x.

On topic: Don't know if I'll get around to this one any time soon. Like DvD, I hadn't even gotten through the 1st one yet (and I don't think I care about Minelvaton Saga's style), and I have another game I'm in the middle of, that's probably quick enough, but I'm taking my time with it.

I think that if you make the hobby specifically about beating the games, you'll burn out. In the case of these lengthier adventure games, you need to be able to take your time and take it all in. In the case of retro action games, you need to concern yourself more with getting better at it, than just getting to the end.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
Bongo, Wild Bill, Red Soul,

Congrats on getting this one out.   :thumbsup:

I know this will be a good one.  All of your translations are good ones!

I need to take a break from hacking, so I can find some time to play SS1, so I can play this one...

Thanks DvD!
Yeah I'd recommend playing them in order, at least that's what
I do with games that have multiple installments.

Quote from: FallenAngel2387
Huh, didn't realize things had progressed to that point. I always mained 9x with Z as the backup for whatever wouldn't run in 9x.

Snes9x has grown to be surprisingly competent yes. It may not be blazing fast on pretty much
any system like Zsnes is, but its a much better all around choice anyhow.

Quote from: FallenAngel2387
On topic: Don't know if I'll get around to this one any time soon. Like DvD, I hadn't even gotten through the 1st one yet (and I don't think I care about Minelvaton Saga's style), and I have another game I'm in the middle of, that's probably quick enough, but I'm taking my time with it.

I think that if you make the hobby specifically about beating the games, you'll burn out. In the case of these lengthier adventure games, you need to be able to take your time and take it all in. In the case of retro action games, you need to concern yourself more with getting better at it, than just getting to the end.

I quite agree, and honestly I can't understand people that play games for bragging rights or record breaking, this isn't Asteroids anymore.