News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sailor Moon Another Story vwf bugfix  (Read 7832 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Sailor Moon Another Story vwf bugfix
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:59:47 am »
Hello there.

As some of you are probably aware, the old English patch for Sailor Moon Another Story is broken on newer emulators and real hardware, rendering the intro unreadable. Well, I've been wanting to fix it for some time now and after some failed attempts I've finally succeeded!

Here is a fix (IPS and BPS formats included) that should be applied to the English headerless rom. It hasn't been extensively tested, so I'd appreciate it if some fans of the game could make sure everything works. While there shouldn't be any problems, it pays to be extra careful. I'll be submitting this to RHDN eventually, provided no issues are found.

For the tech-savvy, here's what caused the bug:
The whole vwf routine was done during NMI, causing vblank to run out before some tiles could be transferred. This was a non-issue during regular dialogue, since the game did barely anything during vblank. The extra effects and transfers during the intro threw the timing off, however. As a counter-measure, I've moved the vwf sans DMA out of NMI and wrote some new code to queue its DMA transfers. This seems to be working quite well.

EDIT: As of September 2012 the fix has been added to the RHDN hack database and can be downloaded here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:04:43 am by mziab »

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: Sailor Moon Another Story vwf bugfix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:12 pm »
Good stuff. :beer:

Nitpicking here, so ignore it if you don't care.

To be honest, this game could use a re-translation. The review explains it better than I could.
But that's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. ¬_¬
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »
I agree, I would love to see a re-translation of Another Story for the exact same reasons mentioned in the review above.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:05 pm »
It sounds to me like the translation itself is not bad, but it just needs to be (as we would say in the fansubbing scene) 'scrubbed'. That is, all of the gratuitous Japanese needs to be taken out.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:00 pm »
Having seen the entire script first-hand, I'm actually inclined to agree. Still, the general flow of the translation is okay, gratuitous Japanese and some flubs notwithstanding. I do have to wonder, though, why one would feel the need to romanize things like daisoujou, though. That being said, a retranslation is beyond the scope of what I set out to do.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:14:46 pm by mziab »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »
I'd be honestly surprised and happy for any sort of Sailor Moon: Another Story modification.  I always got ridiculously annoyed with the romanization of words like that even though knowing the series inside and out.  It was a bad choice to do so.  A nice retranslation or fix up would be amazing or any other features to be added.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:47:23 am »
While I agree with using translated terms when feasible, I don't think I'd seriously consider changing the character names to match the old DiC and Cloverway dubs. Mostly because it's old and antiquated, but also because, let's face it, it has little to none of it's own distinct fans any more. I'd probably begrudgingly accept changing names to match English counterparts in DBZ translations as well, but at least in those instances dubs of Dragon Ball are still recent, relevant and influential.

... not to mention that the dubs couldn't even keep consistent names!

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:54 am »
I don't mind the character names. I mind that they romanized other things that have no business being romanized (Ginzuishou? Really?).
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:05 am »
Personally I would love to see a patch where it covers the DiC/Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon as well as one for the Japanese version.  Along the lines of how the Dynamic Designs gave us two translations for Ranma 1/2: Treasure of the Red Cat Gang following the manga or anime versions.  For instance, I am used to the anime version of Ranma 1/2, so I went with that patch.  Basically it allow the fans to have the best of both worlds.

My main concern with the translation lies with the gratuitous Japanese.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:12:02 pm by enigmaopoeia »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:41 am »
The names aren't so much of a big deal and actually there is a HUGE fan base of the DiC/Cloverway dubs still present.  You'd be surprised ._.

But as they said above, words like 'Ginzuishou' and all of that really needs to be changed.  It was really strange to use those words :/  I'm not really sure if it was also a flaw to have them state like, "Usagi-chan" in open text or not.  It's not a big deal at all but it seems really strange to have all of that in English dialect.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

naxis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:14 am »
I prefer the English names instead of the Japanese ones. Is the patch editable? Could I open the patch in a hex editor and change the names there?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:59 am »
That depends on what you want to change. The item and spell names are stored as normal ASCII. The dialogue, on the other hand, uses a form of obfuscation and a checksum check to keep newbies from tampering with the translation.

naxis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:06 am »
All I want to change is the character names. Like Usagi to Serena, Minata to Mina, etc. What sort of confusion techniques does it use?

I'm using WindHex and I typed in usagi in the text search and found that name in the file. I changed it to Serena. I went to go play it and in the beginning of the game when Luna wakes up Serena she says Usagi-san still.

What am I missing?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:54 am »
You probably changed one of the menu strings. This won't affect the dialogue, so you shouldn't expect the names to change everywhere. You'd need to change every instance in the script and that won't be as easy as firing up WindHex due to the encryption I mentioned.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:03 pm »
You can't really modify much of the game either in general with that encryption.  You can try swapping out a PC for an event or something and it'll just stop with all numbers in the top left corner (I believe it was).  Really god damn frustrating.

naxis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
So basically I would have to start from scratch just to change the character names?

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:10 pm »
It would, probably, be much less effort in the end.

What are the chances they simply left any word they couldn't really figure out good context for romanized?

The most elegant solution would be to manage automatic line wrap and expand control characters in the text to insert the names from one of two sets selected in the options menu.  It would be a cold day in hell when that happens. 

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »
I wonder if there's a way to break the checksum and such for both original game and translation so something new can be done.

Even if starting from scratch, it'd be nice to have the game ALLOW certain things to be interchanged instead of freaking out and stopping the game permanently.  It'd definitely allow more flexibility.  (I'm currently looking into this and it's.. pretty annoying)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:21 am »
Well, the script would be easy to be fixed, no? (except it would require to do some romhack).

Once it's dumped, just use "search/replace" for each term left in japanese, reinsert the script and here you go.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33:20 pm »
Well, the script would be easy to be fixed, no? (except it would require to do some romhack).

Once it's dumped, just use "search/replace" for each term left in japanese, reinsert the script and here you go.

Good luck with that. FuSoYa is known to encrypt stuff like that (to keep people from mucking around with it). Look at his Secret of Mana VWF hack.