News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: For the Frog the Bell Tolls (English) Translation Released  (Read 28996 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
It's not really my thing personally, but I have to congratulate you on translating this; over the years there's been like a dozen attempts, and I'm glad it got completed. Even if you never work on anything else, you did something a great many couldn't so kudos to you.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Peyre

THANK YOU! this is so great, been following the project for almost 3 years now and couldn't wait till TODAY where i finally get to play this game in english!!!!!!!!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Posted in the Victoly thread, but got to mention that I finished this!  Great work!  It felt like an official translation, so I'll definitely give the work two thumbs up!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
Re: Translations: For the Frog the Bell Tolls (English) Translation Released
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:50 pm »
Holy cow, this game is awesome.

I wanted to be done playing b/w gameboy games, so I spent last year playing every b/w gameboy rpg, action rpg, adventure, or other game that is part of series that I play that was released in the US.  Just finished the last one, Great Greed.  But, instead of starting a color game, I just couldn't pull myself from finally playing For the Frog the Bell Tolls, a game that was released in japan just a couple days before Great Greed.  I've been looking forward to playing this since I saw the translation was out.

I have to say, at this point in the game, (I'm in the palace as a snake for the first time) personally, I think this is the best b/w gameboy game ever made.  And so far, I see no reason why they didn't localize it.  And, as far as I've gotten through the game, what makes this game really special is that the script translation is awesome, very polished.  Eien Ni Hen, I'd be happy to work with you anytime.  Of course, the hacking, is flawless.  So far, it works great on my GBA flashcart.  Wonderful job ryanbgstl.  Together, it makes you feel like you are actually playing something Nintendo localized themselves.

I guess I should note, for reference, that up to this point my favorite b/w gameboy game was The Final Fantasy Adventure, followed by Zelda, followed by Final Fantasy Legend 2.  I also remember enjoying Metroid 2.  Great Greed was good until towards the end, but then what a great ending.  Even Ninja Taro, Ultima Runes of Virtue, and Gargoyle's Quest were much better than I thought they would be.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »
I wanted to be done playing b/w gameboy games, so I spent last year playing every b/w gameboy rpg, action rpg, adventure, or other game that is part of series that I play that was released in the US.  Just finished the last one, Great Greed.  But, instead of starting a color game, I just couldn't pull myself from finally playing For the Frog the Bell Tolls, a game that was released in japan just a couple days before Great Greed.  I've been looking forward to playing this since I saw the translation was out.

You're not done yet! I should have something awesome out in about a week or so, hopefully.

But yeah, this game was pretty freaking sweet.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »
You're not done yet! I should have something awesome out in about a week or so, hopefully.

Ah!  I think what I said wasn't clear.  I'm wanted to be, and am now, done with all the non-Super b/w North American GB releases that I wanted to play, NOT with all the translations.  As long as people keep translating games, I'll never be done with that!  :)

Cool that you are releasing a new one.  Hmm, I can't think of what it would be, since the only GB game I know you are doing is Blue Sphere... which is color... and of course I definitely want to play some day!

If I had to take a guess on a b/w game you might be doing in secret... Some projects that I feel someone needs to take on (possibly me one day) are X, GameBoy Wars, and Picross 2 by Nintendo, although the last one doesn't need to be in English to enjoy.  I could see you being interested in X because your previous work with Star Fox 2.  I'm particularly interested in the Oni series, as it's the biggest RPG series on the b/w GB with FIVE games, none of which we got.  Also, Nekojara Monogatari as it is like Sword of Hope 1.5 with comical cats.

Anyway, good luck with whatever the project is.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:40:13 pm by DvD »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 10:17:57 pm »
X would be great. I just finished playing it and I can totally see where Star Fox came from.

Another game I wish someone would do is Dragon Slayer Gaiden. It's a nice Final Fantasy Adventure clone.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:29 am »
X would be great. I just finished playing it and I can totally see where Star Fox came from.
How hard was it to pass compared to the various Star Foxes?  I noticed a lot of text at the start, like an in game manual/help sorta thing.  How much more text was there?  Do you ever get out of tank mode?  I guess I'd be more interested in it if I knew what to do.

Another game I wish someone would do is Dragon Slayer Gaiden. It's a nice Final Fantasy Adventure clone.
Ah, yes, I had seen that one, but wasn't sure about it.  After my experience with Romancia, I'm kinda' wary of another Dragon Slayer game...
Faxanadu was a DS2 (Xanadu) gaiden, and that was a pretty fun game.   I certainly liked it WAY more than Romancia...  Do you know which game in the series the GB one is a gaiden of?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
How hard was it to pass compared to the various Star Foxes?  I noticed a lot of text at the start, like an in game manual/help sorta thing.  How much more text was there?  Do you ever get out of tank mode?  I guess I'd be more interested in it if I knew what to do.

By "pass" you mean finish? If so, I used a youtube playthrough to beat it because each mission has its own goals and without knowing Japanese, you will probably never beat them. Each mission is open ended and it can be a little hard to find stuff sometimes. The strategywiki guide says there's a radar that gives you more info than the normal map, but either I didn't buy it or it didn't work as advertised. There is a lot of text yes, mainly at the start of each mission. The opening stage is a training of some sort and there is a lot of text there too. The game had definitely more Japanese than what I originally thought it had.

You never get out of tank mode no. The game plays exactly like the Super Battletank games and not like Star Fox. What I meant when I said that I totally saw where Star Fox came from was more about the design of the enemies, the obstacles in the escape sequences and several other details. But the game itself plays nothing like Star Fox. It does remind you of it though.

As for that training mode, you don't really have to do anything complicated. There's only one part where the game shows/tells you to pass between two... curved poles or something. I didn't know what to do there, but all you have to do is turn around and enter the structure behind your back. Since you turned around, you could now see the entrance.

Another part it shows you how to fly. Just set the speed to max and launch from one of the many structures on the ground. You'll then automatically fly (ala Star Fox, you'll even go through hoops, just like SF).

Here's the youtube playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12439kCUGS4

Ah, yes, I had seen that one, but wasn't sure about it.  After my experience with Romancia, I'm kinda' wary of another Dragon Slayer game...

Actually, Dragon Slayer Gaiden is a straightforward and typical action/adventure game. No "Dragon Slayer" type difficulty or complications there. You even use your sword to attack instead of bumping into enemies like most of the other Drasle games.

Faxanadu was a DS2 (Xanadu) gaiden, and that was a pretty fun game.   I certainly liked it WAY more than Romancia...  Do you know which game in the series the GB one is a gaiden of?

I think it's called Gaiden just because. It doesn't play like any other Drasle game. It plays exactly like Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu) though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:16:29 pm by reyvgm »