News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest (U) [Moody]  (Read 7402 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest (U) [Moody]
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

Update By: f0

If you want to re-live the classic game with an emotive feel to it, this is for you. The colors were carefully redefined looking for a new and compelling aesthetic with a dramatic touch that make  feelings change with every scene!

Visit the relevant link to see a gallery with side-by-syde before and after screenshots.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://imgur.com/a/98LVk)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest (U) [Moody]
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
Based on screenshots, I think this looks awesome. Are towns recolored not to be 1 color anymore?

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:46 am »
Something to also check out is how the graphics look when previewed with an NTSC filter.  Certain pixel groups can look completely different than RGB colors.  Some of the new palettes might not work the same way as the original palettes.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:30:34 am »
is it compatible with the retranslation IPS?

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:55:10 am »
Nice idea, nice colors.

Look on the bright side of life, Simon Belmont! There is so much in the world to experience before you pass on!

The zenith of the trip will be when you wield the flame whip!

f0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:23:50 am »
Hi everyone.

First, sorry for the late reply.

@fairdenizen, @curses, @Bregalad: Thank you very much, I'm glad you appreciate this.

Are towns recolored not to be 1 color anymore?

Look for yourself =)

Some of the new palettes might not work the same way as the original palettes.

I tested it in Nestopia with NTSC filter and palette set to auto and the result was nice but Red 0x05 looked darker than expected. I don't know on a real CRT SDTV.

is it compatible with the retranslation IPS?

Yes.

Edit: Added Bregalad to "Thank You" list.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:01:28 pm by f0 »

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:54:44 am »
So it's been awhile since I played this but I managed to get the best ending after playing through this game patched with your hack.

It is a nice hack.

f0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »
Thank you again, curses.

By the way:

Look on the bright side of life, Simon Belmont! There is so much in the world to experience before you pass on!

The zenith of the trip will be when you wield the flame whip!

I'm still smiling at that =)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:10 pm »
Just wanted to say congratulations.
I haven't played the patch yet, but based on the screenshots it looks like a major improvement over the original.
I'm not fond of palette hacks, but Simon's Quest is one of the few games that actually had the right graphics with horrible palettes (well I guess at least).
In fact most of it looks much worse than Castlevania I hironically.

EDIT : Well I feel most changes are good, but some are just weird. I mean the water is green, the sky is yellow ?? I feel like the patch wanted to change everything even what the game had already got right. Don't get me wrong - this is still a good patch.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:56:03 pm by Bregalad »

f0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
EDIT : Well I feel most changes are good, but some are just weird. I mean the water is green, the sky is yellow ?? I feel like the patch wanted to change everything even what the game had already got right. Don't get me wrong - this is still a good patch.

I see fit to point out that it's basic color theory: If a light source is orange (or yellow) and the surface is blue, its hue is gonna shift towards the green range -in a certain measure that depends on the specularity of the surface-. A dusk light over a specular water (for example, a clear lake) has even more powerful tinting capabilities  in reality, but If I tinted water (completely) orange -as it's supposed to be- I'd ruin contrast between distance planes and the perspective per se.  Now, let's say water in game is not very specular (example: muddy waters), they are gonna look like in the game patch anyways, so it's not just a design choice but a realistic possibility too.

Here is a rough example preview.

Some classical painting examples from the top of my head, exhibiting greenish waters. In order: Canaletto, Gericault & Ayvazovsky.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:20:05 pm by f0 »