News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 1219187 times)

DougRPG

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #880 on: January 23, 2015, 09:45:56 pm »
Your apostrophe is facing the wrong way. It's an open-quote instead.

Yeah, I put the wrong one :(. But I'm still implementing these subtitles, and I'll check all the texts after that.

Oh my god yes. SO glad someone is doing this!

Thanks, check out the link below where I show some gameplay of my translation. The video is in portuguese, so you can jump to around 44:00 to see some gameplay.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxUM_yzR2GA

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:10 am »
If there's room to display it, that should read we're instead of we'r.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2015, 12:17:30 am »

I'm finishing my translation tool (already fully working for all the game text) and soon anyone will be able to translate this gem to their language.

I'm also improving Dejap's translation, adding all missing parts.

Oh, thanks a lot!
That's simply wonderful.
Did you figure out where those "yes/no" bubbles were stored?

This thread hasn't been updated in a while.

Did Santa Claus come twice this year :P
I think the equivalent font for Goemon 2/3/4 if there was ever an official English localization would be the one used in The Adventures of Batman and Robin, also on SNES by Konami. Same numeral characters, roughly the same place the font is stored inside in the VRAM, not to mention the similar title screen layout.
And the furigana characters use a whole tile line each. Couldn't that be exploited for a third line for the English version to make the text more compact like in the Batman game? Would be so much better than adding extra text pages.

Hopefully you're aware of the debug stage/cutscene select too. Buggy, yet still very useful to test the game quickly.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:18 am »
Did you figure out where those "yes/no" bubbles were stored?

Yes, I´ll fix that. And I will expand the names in the battle, improve some stuff, add subtitles in the intro and add several phrases removed by Dejap.

The problem with Star Ocean is that there is almost no space left in the Rom, so Dejap had to insert a lot of compressions and reduce the script size to be able to fit the text in the game.

But with my changes there is no space constraints anymore, so I can put a much larger script, other graphics, or whatever (and 100% hardware compatible).

I´m still finishing my tools, but if anyone wants to translate this game I can send the script files and my text editing tool. Anyone interested can send me a message.

My work is more related to the translation, because I like to work with compressions, etc, but I still don´t have the Justin3009 skills regarding graphics programming to do a remodel in the game like he is doing with Tales of Phantasia. It would be great if he did something similar with Star Ocean, and I´d be glad to share my findings.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:27 pm »
Wait, you were able to expand the ROM and make it work properly?  I know it can be expanded but with how the game was, I couldn't get ANY debugger to properly load the new locations AT ALL which caused me to stop working on the ROM in general.  And as you said, there really is little to no room left in the original ROM.  I am very anxious to see how your tools and how even the game handles it.  I'm STOKED about that!

I sadly have absolutely no clue how to decompress, recompress or any of that stuff with programming.  I have ASM skills to an extent, but most of TOP's data was decompressed in the first place.  (Actually, ALL the sprites seem like they're decompressed except for a few!)  I ACTUALLY was wanting to do the same thing to Star Ocean!  I still do but seeing as I had no way to actually make anything work, I had to give up on it.

Also, be wary about names in battle.  I think you can fit maybe 6 letters at most for each PC with a bit of shuffling, but I couldn't find a way to fit 7 letters for all PC's unless the menu gets somehow completely redone.

If you need any help on any weird text issues in the game or something (Like some that just don't clear off fully as an example), I can try to help with that and what not.  I'm not too sure what's all there in Star Ocean or how many text related bugs it has.  I KNOW there's one in battle where the skill names are too long and it doesn't get fully cleared but that's all I can recall.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:27 pm »
Yes, I was able to expand. I had to study the S-DD1 and how the cartridge was assembled. After that I built some routines to do the magic. Byuu helped me with some mapping and S-DD1 details and now I can do whatever I want. And it works fine in any emulator (ok, I only tested in Bsnes, Snes9x and Zsnes). And I already tested my partial translation in a real cartridge.

I'm using Byuu's debugger (Laevatein), and it's from far the best debugger for Snes. It's much, much better than Geiger (at least to me). Byuu's debugger is open source, so you can do whatever you want directly in the code, so it's the ultimate Snes debugger. You can easilly add new features and adjust the debugger to your programming style. And works on Linux and Windows.

In Star Ocean almost all graphics are compressed, and the game uses the S-DD1 to decompress. My approach will be bypass the S-DD1, storing the new graphics (probably getting it from Neviksti version) in an expanded area.
My focus right now is to finish the translation of my script and polish all issues related to the translation. After that we could try to go deep in these graphic questions, if you want and have the time. For my translation I'll fix the "yes/no" ballons and do some expansion in the battle menus, but more than that I'll need help.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2015, 03:46:42 pm »
I did not expect that.  I.. didn't know he had another debugger.  Is it publicly released or is it private at the moment?  I really was never a fan of bSNES in general.  Though anything I wanted to change was my own limitation as I am not a coder in general.

Edit: If it's public, I honestly can't find it.  Google doesn't bring up many results for it except that people are using it, but no actual link to it.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »
Ok, on the other side I can code but I have no idea how to do what you did in Tales and MMX3. (ok, I have idea, but I still need to learn a lot about snes graphics to get to your level).
So I can try to change the game so you can do what you know.

I like Bsnes to test the games, because it's cycle accurate, so if the game works in Bsnes it will work in the real hardware. But to play I like Snes9x.

This debugger (Laevatein) is a little old (I think 2011-2012). It's based on Bsnes v0.86.
The only problem is that it's slow, but for a debugger is not a big problem.

I think it's not used much because of that folder concept. It forces you to create a folder with the same name of the rom. Seems absurd in the beginning, but after some use you cannot live without it. All your debugging stuff keeps organized. My favorite feature is that the current instruction is show in the middle of a block, so you can see the instructions before and after the current instruction. And you can easily change the code to expand that.

Edit: The link is:

https://code.google.com/p/bsnes/downloads/detail?name=laevateinn_v086.7z

Edit2:

Ah, and the code is:

https://code.google.com/p/bsnes/downloads/detail?name=bsnes_v086-source.tar.bz2&can=4&q=

If you want to add features you need to build the code following a read me inside the package.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:13:44 pm by Dgdiniz »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #888 on: January 31, 2015, 12:29:30 am »

Edit:
I suppose I should mention that this is Dark Half, Enix RPG for the SNES. And yes, all of the chapters are named after Bach cantatas. Look up the BWV number on Youtube if you want to hear what Ich hatte viel Bekümmernis actually sounds like :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:31:36 am by Gideon Zhi »

Corvo

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:09 am »
Is the font from the first image custom or from the game itself? Reminds me of the Castlevania SOTN font.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #890 on: January 31, 2015, 02:25:48 am »

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #891 on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:09 am »
Is the font from the first image custom or from the game itself? Reminds me of the Castlevania SOTN font.

It's custom, the first image was all completely Japanese in the original

4ph

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:28 am »
It's Old English Text MT.

These captures are splendid Gideon!
Superb job for the custom of chapters!

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2015, 08:03:31 am »
@Dgdiniz
amazing, I have a friend that made the translation of star ocean in text,
waiting for a future way to insert the scrtipt

@Gideon Zhi
I like to see news about Dark Half

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »
This have anything to do with the romhacking.net article on dark half? :D

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:42 am »
@Dgdiniz
amazing, I have a friend that made the translation of star ocean in text,
waiting for a future way to insert the scrtipt
Hey Gadesx! I'm glad to see that someone from the Spanish scene will be in charge of Star Ocean, and especially you! :)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #896 on: February 20, 2015, 03:36:30 am »

Now the 8x8 has lowercase! Apologies to KingMike, it's his Deep Dungeon 3 font which I found in the archive over hyar <--
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:29:08 am by Gideon Zhi »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 20, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
IIRC technically I did just the lowercase, the rest was the default.

(though the same with Magna Braban, 8x8 uppercase was Ghouls 'n Ghosts font)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #898 on: March 03, 2015, 01:43:00 pm »

It is necessary to make support single-byte character encodings because not enough space for the text in memory allocated for it. Unfortunately, I do not know how to do it.
PS: Text translation by aishsha.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:12:27 pm by paul_met »

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #899 on: March 03, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »

It is necessary to make support single-byte character encodings because not enough space for the text in memory allocated for it. Unfortunately, I do not know how to do it.
This's gonna be done eventually. However, you could at least tell you're gonna use my translation.