News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 986068 times)

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2013, 05:14:13 pm »
If you keep the names close to the original, I would go with Rokkun instead of Rockkun. It's catchier and a nice wordplay.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »
Dude, if it was published when it should've been published, the names would've been changed, and rightfully so. The names make sense to a Japanese audience - why the hell not change 'em so they'll make sense to an English audience?

Context is important with this kind of thing. If you're worried about what I might do with Majotachi no Nemuri (which I still need to get back to), you shouldn't - the game's too Japanese in its themes and aesthetic to make a Phoenix Wright-style Americanization worthwhile. But for a bright, colorful, mascot-filled kids' game, it only makes sense to change silly Japanese names into silly English ones.
True perhaps but I don't think it should be change IMO cuz first of all if you look at Ruroni Kenshin they actually kept the Japanese names to a minimum & a few fans can remember most of their names perfectly, this also goes for Persona 4 Golden they kept their literal -kun & -chan nicknames and I still remember it a few times. It basically depends if a name is forgettable or if the players puts their time to read the names everyone they play I guess.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:32 pm »
...keeping them ending with "kkun" keeps an internal consistency with the game's title and establishes an overall convention with all the other names.
You can replace "kun" with "y", to keep consistency among the names (Ex: Rocky, Blocky, Macky, and Potty). The game is not fully translated with the honorifics still "untranslated" (Unfortunately there is no direct English equivalent)... It just doesn't look fully translated IMO, so I would have to agree with the others  :(.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:03 pm »
Yeah, I begin to get why localizations did that too. Especially if a game is strictly Japanese(literally taking place in Japan) and the characters graphics aren't too different to tell them apart. It get's tough to remember Japanese names if you're not used to them. Like the whole Nekketsu/Kunio-kun series.
And yet there are people who still insist on calling it "Nekketsu Koukou" instead of "Hot Blooded High" (the translation even has a tiny bit of alliteration!).

*shiver* Weaboos. =/

Also, Rurouni Kenshin isn't the best example, because in the anime they actually translated all of the Japanese terms and it worked just as well. And I would also argue that in a severely Japanese setting, it MIGHT be slightly appropriate to use honorifics. But ONLY in that particular circumstance. The rate at which they're leaving Japanese words in the Persona series terrifies me (Does anyone here that isn't a translator know what a "muchi" is, for example?).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:46 pm »
Even though I'm a hypocrite, I wouldn't use the title Sutte Hakkun which I'm guessing is the reason you're keeping the kun. Since there is no precedent for it, I'd change it to something else that is more English friendly.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
Keep the name some people used back in the day: Suck & Blow  :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »
You could use a subtitle for a fan-translated/version of the the game's title.
Btw, whta does Sutte Hakkun mean?

I believe its from a pun for 'suttehaku'; 吸って吐く= to breathe in and breathe out
And it looks like that's what Hackkun is doing.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:50 am »
吸って吐く is essentially 'huff and puff' like in the Three Little Pigs.

Sutte Hakkun is that verb with the 'kun' ending, personifying it.

So, huff-and-puffy? Huffy and Puffy?

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #528 on: May 07, 2013, 06:12:04 am »
Potty

You want to name him after a child's training toilet? You utter bounder, sir!

Incidentally, my opinion is that a name that's been rendered in English for Japanese audiences doesn't necessarily count as a localisation. Even if they did write out Burokkun in English, I'd still localise it, because the creators of the game didn't do it for an English-speaking audience, they did it for a Japanese audience. Respecting the creators' intentions is one thing, but I do think that there are things where I'm sure they wouldn't give a damn if you asked to change something, and it's more important to tailor the game for the new English-speaking audience. (The title screen for Hourai High's a small example of this - it originally provided an English title under the Japanese text, "The Adventure of Hourai High School", which I changed to "The Adventures of Hourai High". Speaking of which, I think the subtitle I chose, "Transfer Student Dramabomb" ruffled some feathers here, but it's actually a faithful localisation - just not a direct translation.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:26:25 am by sa♥tsu »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:22 am »
Huh, I honestly didn't know that translation existed for some reason. I might need to look through the database more thoroughly.

And yet there are people who still insist on calling it "Nekketsu Koukou" instead of "Hot Blooded High" (the translation even has a tiny bit of alliteration!).

*shiver* Weaboos. =/

I wouldn't know. I just consider it Nekketsu, because that's the word I'm most likely to see when I look for a rom in that series to patch. I'd consider it something in English, if there was any consistency, but we got: Renegade, World Cup Soccer, Crash and the Boys Street Challenge,  Super Dodgeball, and River City Ransom/Street Gangs.

Keep the name some people used back in the day: Suck & Blow  :D

Knowing most gamers on the internet, that would probably piss them off, when they realize there's no hentai(I really shouldn't know that word even exists...).

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #530 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33:04 am »
Incidentally, my opinion is that a name that's been rendered in English for Japanese audiences doesn't necessarily count as a localisation. Even if they did write out Burokkun in English, I'd still localise it, because the creators of the game didn't do it for an English-speaking audience, they did it for a Japanese audience. Respecting the creators' intentions is one thing, but I do think that there are things where I'm sure they wouldn't give a damn if you asked to change something, and it's more important to tailor the game for the new English-speaking audience.

This is generally my attitude towards things. The issue here is that the game in question has been known as Sutte Hakkun in emulation circles for over a decade, with Hakkun being the main character. If we change the name and leave it subtitled or something (and that's a pretty big if) do you have any suggestions for names that would both keep the internal soundalike consistency and not sound rude? :p

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 07, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »
Huh, I honestly didn't know that translation existed for some reason. I might need to look through the database more I just consider it Nekketsu, because that's the word I'm most likely to see when I look for a rom in that series to patch. I'd consider it something in English, if there was any consistency, but we got: Renegade, World Cup Soccer, Crash and the Boys Street Challenge,  Super Dodgeball, and River City Ransom/Street Gangs.
Honestly?

Why don't more translators go with Crash 'n the Boys? Wasn't that supposed to be Technos' localization plan?

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:29 pm »
...do you have any suggestions for names that would both keep the internal soundalike consistency and not sound rude? :p
That is tough :(. Maybe you can replace "kun" with "er", to keep consistency among the names (Ex: Rocker, Blocker, Macker, Hacker and Potter). Hacker and Potter are real surnames in English... and Potter from "Its A Wonderful Life" was a mighty shifty guy too :P

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #533 on: May 07, 2013, 11:01:03 pm »
I would consider anyone who describes what they do as “macking” pretty shifty.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
So what does the honorific -kun really translates/localized into?

The -kun for Hakkun is mainly just a pet name; just sound cute or friendly.
Maybe localization doesn't need the -kun; I'd like to go w/ Huck looks like a good name.

Joke title: Huff'n Puff'n Huck'n  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:49:15 pm by Zynk Oxhyde »

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 08, 2013, 03:32:16 am »
That Breath of Fire hacking is incredible. Could that have been accomplished within the limitations of an actual SNES cartridge?

Yes - it runs on a real SNES.  The only thing special about the cartridge is that it is larger than the original.  Right now, it has expanded from 1.5 MB to 3.0 MB; being a 3.0 MB LoROM with an 8 KB battery-backed SRAM, it's now the same cartridge format as Super Metroid.

However, in the reality of the early 1990s, Capcom developers would have had a hard time convincing their business types to double the ROM size just to give English-speaking players proportional fonts in the menu system.  Only in modern times with our terabyte hard drives and multi-gigabyte SNES flash carts do we not care about such a size increase.  (Paraphrasing byuu's blog post on the subject.)

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #536 on: May 08, 2013, 04:40:48 am »
This is generally my attitude towards things. The issue here is that the game in question has been known as Sutte Hakkun in emulation circles for over a decade, with Hakkun being the main character. If we change the name and leave it subtitled or something (and that's a pretty big if) do you have any suggestions for names that would both keep the internal soundalike consistency and not sound rude? :p

Got a full list of character names? (Maybe this could go in a new topic.)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 08, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »
On the subject: if I ever nabbed a translated job, I'd only leave in -kun, -chan, and the like A. if the character speaking was ethnically Japanese, B. under executive mandate, or C. as a last resort. Everywhere else I'd translate it to a diminutive, e.g. Lip-chan to "little Lip" or "Lippy" or something like that.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #538 on: May 08, 2013, 05:12:22 pm »
Huffy Puffy sounds like an OK title to me and retains some of the meaning of the original. Puffy was actually the name of Sue's pet from Grandia.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #539 on: May 08, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »
On the subject: if I ever nabbed a translated job, I'd only leave in -kun, -chan, and the like A. if the character speaking was ethnically Japanese, B. under executive mandate, or C. as a last resort. Everywhere else I'd translate it to a diminutive, e.g. Lip-chan to "little Lip" or "Lippy" or something like that.
Most of the time, rather than a diminutive, you simply drop the honorific and switch to first name or a pronoun if necessary to get a form close to how most Americans address most other Americans in most situations, assuming they know each other. But this is only a general case! What if one isn’t American? What if one is a child and the other an adult? Family? Karate instructor? In love? James Bond addressing a Japanese colleague?

Such rules may take the thinking out of these issues, but it becomes readily apparent in the end result that the thinking was not done. So do not make such rigid rules; this is not a topic of morality! Take the jobs as they come and pay due respect to everything you decide to translate.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger