News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 986036 times)

Myria

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:59 am »
Main menu:

Config menu:

The background is actually darker than a previous build's was, but apparently not enough =)  Some people also say that the blue at the top and bottom borders is too strong.

Another big change I did was move most of the text to BG3 instead of the original game's BG1.  This is because in Mode 1, BG1 graphics are 16-color - twice as big as the 4-color BG3.  This conserves a lot of VRAM needed to store the rendered text.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:46 am »
The background is actually darker than a previous build's was, but apparently not enough =)  Some people also say that the blue at the top and bottom borders is too strong.

The blue is fine; the issue is one of contrast. The gray middle of the gradient is so starkly different than the deep blue of the edges that it creates three separate and distinct areas within the background, which is two more than any background really ought to have. The idea is that they're supposed to be innocuous and out of the way, not commanding attention :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:44 am »
Main menu:

[snip]

Config menu:

[snip]

Another big change I did was move most of the text to BG3 instead of the original game's BG1.  This is because in Mode 1, BG1 graphics are 16-color - twice as big as the 4-color BG3.  This conserves a lot of VRAM needed to store the rendered text.
I like the background; it looks just like the one d4s used in Breath of Fire II.

Whatcha guys gonna do for the lower-left blank box? Or is that a secret?

Some suggestions, if you don't have anything planned.
- Play time. (Probably easiest?)
- Time of day indicator? (Dawn, morning, afternoon, evening, dusk, night)
- Powers of who's currently up front? (Fishing, flying, hunting, forest-walking, nothing, etc.)
- Current music track name? (This one's reaching, admittedly)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:53:09 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2013, 11:36:46 am »
I like the background; it looks just like the one d4s used in Breath of Fire II.

Whatcha guys gonna do for the lower-left blank box? Or is that a secret?

Yep, it's clearly modeled after d4s's work.  Except, the background in this case is BoF1 artwork.

I originally planned it to be a timer.  However, I'd actually have to implement it - the game doesn't track gameplay time.  I guess that I'd just increment some variable from the NMI handler.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
I originally planned it to be a timer.  However, I'd actually have to implement it - the game doesn't track gameplay time.  I guess that I'd just increment some variable from the NMI handler.

Yep, pretty much. An NMI counter is the simplest way to do it. Remember to disable it when game is paused (Does Bof1 has pause?) or in any state in which it may not be desirable to count play time.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 01, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »
It doesn't have pause, but it's 100% turn based in battle and I don't think there are any timed dungeons either. The only time pause would be worthy would be in a few segments where you have to dodge some fuckers very early on.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2013, 06:17:26 pm »
I don't recall that part of the game needing precise timing, if the soldiers even moved at all.
I think it was a just a matter of knowing which spots are safe to walk (that is, stay at least three tiles away, from what I remember).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:42 pm »
Hmm.

rep #$30
lda.l {clock}+2
tax
lda.l {clock}+0
ina
bne .no_increment_high
inx
beq .no_write
.no_increment_high:
sta {clock}+0
txa
sta {clock}+2
.no_write:

Then the code that reads the timer needs to read the high half first, then read the low half, then verify that the high half hasn't changed.  Finally, divide and mod to make the counter readable.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:34 am »
I might take a slightly different approach:

You only need the time to show seconds (or perhaps only even minutes). NMI is 60 times per second (NTSC). So you can just do something like decrement a single 8-bit variable 60 times (or a 16-bit values 3600 times for minutes). Only once every 60 or 3600 times do you need to do the actual work to update the time value in RAM. NMI should be kept as quick as possible.

Now, your time value is already in seconds or minutes and you're doing a much smaller computation for display. However, why not take the NMI increment one step farther and eliminate the need for this computation entirely? When you increment your timer value each second or minute, simply check for time rollovers and keep a separate byte for seconds, minutes, and hours. Then, it's ready for display at any time. Or, you might keep the timer in packed BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) format for ease of display.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35:42 pm »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:26 pm »
Thought about perhaps localizing the names a bit to sound more childish in an English way? Mackey, Potty etc.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:51 am »
Nah don't do it man! Don't want it to end up as a butcherized translation imho you'll kill it if you change the names to sound more American native.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #512 on: May 06, 2013, 03:43:52 am »
Literal/direct translations are boring. A good localization beats them anyday.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #513 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:03 am »
Nah don't do it man! Don't want it to end up as a butcherized translation imho you'll kill it if you change the names to sound more American native.

Dude, if it was published when it should've been published, the names would've been changed, and rightfully so. The names make sense to a Japanese audience - why the hell not change 'em so they'll make sense to an English audience?

Context is important with this kind of thing. If you're worried about what I might do with Majotachi no Nemuri (which I still need to get back to), you shouldn't - the game's too Japanese in its themes and aesthetic to make a Phoenix Wright-style Americanization worthwhile. But for a bright, colorful, mascot-filled kids' game, it only makes sense to change silly Japanese names into silly English ones.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #514 on: May 06, 2013, 05:20:47 am »
Whoa! Good to see some progress on this one.
I am currently playing the Satellaview-installments, but wanted to give the retail version another run eventually. I played it all the way through 4 years ago, so why not doin it again? It's a great, addictive game^^ I am looking forward to the english translation, Ghideon :)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #515 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:48 am »
Dude, if it was published when it should've been published, the names would've been changed, and rightfully so. The names make sense to a Japanese audience - why the hell not change 'em so they'll make sense to an English audience?

Context is important with this kind of thing. If you're worried about what I might do with Majotachi no Nemuri (which I still need to get back to), you shouldn't - the game's too Japanese in its themes and aesthetic to make a Phoenix Wright-style Americanization worthwhile. But for a bright, colorful, mascot-filled kids' game, it only makes sense to change silly Japanese names into silly English ones.

Dito. I find it amusing that the most verbal about "keeping it as close to the Japanese as possible" are usually the people who don't even understand Japanese...

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:02 am »
Spoiler:
Are there no lower-case letters in the game?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2013, 09:03:11 am »
That Breath of Fire hacking is incredible. Could that have been accomplished within the limitations of an actual SNES cartridge?

I had to edit that down to get it to fit on the screen. Probably end up rewording it a bit and/or reducing the spacing between lines to fit more on screen.

My first PCE project as well. It's collecting dust atm and needs to be edited etc.

About that 2nd one. I actually liked that game, I'd be curious to see the original Wataru game it was meant to be.

Dito. I find it amusing that the most verbal about "keeping it as close to the Japanese as possible" are usually the people who don't even understand Japanese...

Yeah, I begin to get why localizations did that too. Especially if a game is strictly Japanese(literally taking place in Japan) and the characters graphics aren't too different to tell them apart. It get's tough to remember Japanese names if you're not used to them. Like the whole Nekketsu/Kunio-kun series.

Are there no lower-case letters in the game?

How did you make it through 3rd and 4th gen localizations? :P
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:08:58 am by FallenAngel2387 »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #518 on: May 06, 2013, 09:16:06 am »
I also back the localization option. I'd go Mack, Mac, Macken, or Macky, and Potts. Just my thoughts.

Fun little platformer though. Glad to see it getting a translation.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »
I had considered it, yes, but I think I'm going to keep them as they are. A few of them are already somewhat localized - the original official names are Burokkun (for Blockkun) and Rokkun (for Rockkun), and keeping them ending with "kkun" keeps an internal consistency with the game's title and establishes an overall convention with all the other names.