News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 986004 times)

RetroHelix

• View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »
A lot of that could be done, as long as collision data can be properly regenerated (I'm planning to use BSP trees in order to do so). Now I've started adding shaders for Phong lights:
Doesn't look too bad for the horrible TR geometry with no normals (DX fortunately allows me to generate them on the fly).

BSP, the format used in Quake?

PS. This looks fucking nice. Brings back memories

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2013, 06:58:52 pm »
The data structure pioneered by Doom, more like.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »
BSP is definitively what ID software used, but I was actually talking about binary space partitioning. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_space_partitioning

These BSP trees are used to simplify a mesh structure and create easy-to-parse collisions directly from any complex shapes. Tomb Raider 1-2-3-4-5 use an XZ collision map for each "block", with a max size of 20x20 sectors (where a sector should be roughly 2 meters) in order to simulate a 3D environment where Lara and other entities can move. With a BSP tree algorithm these sector collisions can be replaced and smoother walkmeshes created automatically by the engine or with a tool that pre-generates them, so that should remove the giant square grid aspect that TR showed up until The Angel of Darkness came around. The original engine also abuses map partitioning, those I called "blocks", with large environments being actually much smaller 3D sections glued together with portal logic. And of course, CORE never updated the code for real in order to take advantage of all the advanced features DirectX offers, which I can with shaders and a ton fancy effects. :P Mind you, even mesh vertex manipulation is a horrible mess in their TR engine and can only be applied to Lara. :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:47:31 pm by Gemini »
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 22, 2013, 03:01:11 am »
So, I guess your castlevania game got shelved? :P
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #624 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »
Not quite! Working with DirectX is great practice to understand how a 3D world works, especially from a technical point of view. I'm almost starting to like matrices and linear algebra at this point. :P
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »
- Doing a little side project when I actually have the time.  My friend is a big Mario fanatic and LOVES Daisy/Peach.  Decided to try and put her into SMB2 with her own thing.

Though it looks like it works right now (And it does, mostly), this game is disgusting with how it handles character selection.

EVERYTHING is background tiles.  Even the characters.  They have separate tiles for them being grey, colored and selected.  All background colors are in use and.. just a mess.  When I get settled in my new place within a few months (If our jobs keep going), I'll probably start porting all of the characters/arrow into being sprite data to ease the palette issues.

There's so many bugs right now with the palette I just can't even explain.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #626 on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
Guess I should post here more...

Golden Reverie/Ougon Musou Kyoku's options, translated in game.
(Still need to be lined up obviously)

System voice:

Story stuff:

Translated logo(huge image):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29235362/Loading%20Jessica%201.jpg

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
- Doing a little side project when I actually have the time.  My friend is a big Mario fanatic and LOVES Daisy/Peach.  Decided to try and put her into SMB2 with her own thing.

Though it looks like it works right now (And it does, mostly), this game is disgusting with how it handles character selection.

EVERYTHING is background tiles.  Even the characters.  They have separate tiles for them being grey, colored and selected.  All background colors are in use and.. just a mess.  When I get settled in my new place within a few months (If our jobs keep going), I'll probably start porting all of the characters/arrow into being sprite data to ease the palette issues.

There's so many bugs right now with the palette I just can't even explain.

That should make a pretty sweet hack. What are her stats gonna be like? Or will she just be a a palette swap of Peach?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 26, 2013, 11:18:53 am »
Has her own sprites/palette.

That was still mostly in discussion but we had the idea of giving her extra health with a regular jump.  Though doesn't seem really worth her case considering the others have better stats that benefit for the most part.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2013, 11:42:44 am »
Has her own sprites/palette.

That was still mostly in discussion but we had the idea of giving her extra health with a regular jump.  Though doesn't seem really worth her case considering the others have better stats that benefit for the most part.

You might want to consider something like an "instant super jump". Just press down, and she is charged up instantly. Would make her a choice character for speedruns. Looks good tho!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2013, 07:18:59 pm »
That's definitely an idea to pass to my friend!  I'll get back to you on that when I get the extra free-time to fully redo the junk.

For now, here's another update thinger.

- Not much has gone on with Star Ocean since I found out that any modding I wanted to do is basically impossible at this point.  But I STILL do plan to try to do like, a compendium of voice/SFX information if possible.

It's kind of an okay-ish layout at the moment, but I'm trying to label everything down in PC Offset data, length, 9 byte data location, etc.. ALONG with actually having the voices converted into split *.wavs with their correct sample rates so if people ever wanted to fandub, they could just overwrite the data and no issues would occur.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2013, 07:30:37 pm »
It's kind of an okay-ish layout at the moment, but I'm trying to label everything down in PC Offset data, length, 9 byte data location, etc.. ALONG with actually having the voices converted into split *.wavs with their correct sample rates so if people ever wanted to fandub, they could just overwrite the data and no issues would occur.

Might be neat to drop in the voices from First Departure.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:56 pm »
^- That's one of the plans.  I kind of want to import all the voices into the SNES version as a test run to show it works fully.  With everything labeled like this as well, gives people all the data they need to import voices.

I do have the script files for 010 Editor 5.0+ as well for increasing/decreasing the headers for SNESBRR encode/decode.  So once everything gets labeled and settled, everything will be released at once with full detail on what to do to import/export voices.  Not really much as it seems people don't play Star Ocean that much anymore, but it's a nice bit for anyone else who wants to pull a 'full' translation.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 27, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
I'm almost done with Mappy Kids. I want to show this pic of the Elephant shopkeeper.

I'm not sure if I have a bad copy of the game or that Namco was really lazy fixing the elephant's trunk. I also spot one on Goro's whisker.

Also, I spotted misplaced/stray tiles on some stages. If anyone knows how to fix that, lemme know. ::)

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 27, 2013, 10:22:43 pm »
^- That's one of the plans.  I kind of want to import all the voices into the SNES version as a test run to show it works fully.  With everything labeled like this as well, gives people all the data they need to import voices.

I do have the script files for 010 Editor 5.0+ as well for increasing/decreasing the headers for SNESBRR encode/decode.  So once everything gets labeled and settled, everything will be released at once with full detail on what to do to import/export voices.  Not really much as it seems people don't play Star Ocean that much anymore, but it's a nice bit for anyone else who wants to pull a 'full' translation.

I'm creating an inserter for Star Ocean (snes). I already dumped the texts (Dejap version), and now I'm trying to change the compression, but no success untill now  :'( I posted a picture here some months ago.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:22 am »
Yes! I saw that and was excited to see someone was touching that game again! Seems almost a rarity to see it happen

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #636 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
Ysy cheesy.

Full gallery on the website.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:39 pm »
Gideon Zhi you are amazing.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:26 am »
Gideon Zhi you are amazing.

True story. :thumbsup:

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #639 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03:32 am »
Great pics Gid!  I'm really looking forward to this game as I just recently rediscovered the Ys series.  Good luck with the bugs and testing!