News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 986033 times)

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #540 on: May 08, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
Spitty would be a neat name for the main character imo.
Soak'n Spitty would also work as a wordplay in the game title :)
(Soaking Spitty/Soak and Spit)

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »
Honestly?

Why don't more translators go with Crash 'n the Boys? Wasn't that supposed to be Technos' localization plan?

Probably because the most popular Nekketsu entry was localized as "River City Ransom", heavily divorced from the "Crash" localizations.

Spitty would be a neat name for the main character imo.
Soak'n Spitty would also work as a wordplay in the game title :)
(Soaking Spitty/Soak and Spit)

Unfortunately this just made me think of "Spit'n Swallow", which is probably just as bad as "Suck n' Blow"...

I think I have another question to address regarding the translation of this game, though. To be specific, in the chance the Satellaview entries (Event Version, BS Version 2, 98  Winter Event Version) get localized, how would one account for the fourth-wall breaking (paraphrased) "By popular demand from Satellaview fans, the rainbow broke again." excuse plot, in regard to a localization?

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »
^Not everything can be saved or is worth saving.  Throw it out and make way for original content to fill in the gaps.

Also, regardless of what spin is used on the naming conventions, I think going full "-kun" on it all does have a pretty playfull charm to it that might be worth using - so it's not a complete disaster if the terminology base isn't entirely English-rooted or whatever. (You often find "localizations/translations" that goes far and wide in its approach and borrows terminology and linguistic quirks from all sorts of other languages, but for some reason they're almost always dead afraid of actually integrating concepts elements borrowed from the source. Of course, intent and purpose is key.)

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2013, 04:23:13 am »
On the note of localizing Sutte Hakkun (I find the concept of localizing vs. accurate translation to be fascinating), for the pot character, you could always go with something like Mr. Pot, yeah? The context of the game and the way the character looks, Mr. Pot seems like it would come across as some what comical and playful, maybe connoting the same feeling that the -kun part would. Maybe?

Are there any naming conventions the Rareware guys used in their 90s, early 2000s games, like Donkey Kong Country or Banjo-Kazooie? They kept that wonderfully cute style, but this playfulness was expressed in mostly visually in the artstyle and mannerisms of characters, more than in their names (withstanding names that play on themes or functions).

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »
RARE naming conventions are usually very straight to the point and short, usually descriptive names or a name + descriptive title, usually with the name acting as a lead in to some sort of pun when combined with the character's purpose or a certain type of action.
("Guy has thick glasses? Let's call him "Bottles", "Gobi is a camel, let's call him Gobi the Camel.", etc.)

Banjo games also use heavy amounts of rhymes and puns in dialog in general. Good stuff. Very playfull and nice.  What I find important is generally that something's done as part of an idea, was done deliberately, was within the scope of one's own talent, and that the end result ultimately is capable of standing on its own feet.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 17, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
Deep Dungeon III ending VWF is go!

No, only this ending screen is getting a VWF because the game only used an engine that made it possible it on this screen (it draws the window in RAM, and then transfers it to VRAM so it can scroll one pixel at a time).

Spoiler:

Now to play around with the text a bit to see how much of DS' translation I can fit. Got the important stuff fitting in great.
Had to fix a couple bugs with the original rendering engine, though? Did I mention this game has bugs? :D
(the most ridiculous is that when the game has to clear a line of pixels, it clears the first tile 24 tiles when it should probably clear all 24 tiles once.
And the routine to clear out the remainder of a line when it isn't fully used jsrs itself, leaving it possible to cause a stack-overflow crash. Good thing the game used up the entire window on all lines.
Oh, and the game has a line break routine it never uses, because the code to update the text pointer after each line just assumes it used the full 24 characters anyways. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »
Wow! That text looks awesome! Much better than the original! How did you deal with the the text spilling over when you fought two different types of enemies?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »
Unfortunately I could only do that for the ending (which uses its own text rendering system not used for the rest of the game). It is then followed by a credits sequence that is already in English.
The rest of the game text is still going to be fixed-width.

(no way I'd have been able to come close to fitting a full translation of the ending if not for that lucky break.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »
Ah I see, now I understand why that's happening.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:44 am »
Some Umineko stuff:

Default font. Kind of fond of it, but it can be adjusted. Kerning is a little borked depending on the letters.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »
My baby steps in romhacking: Inserting FFIV mobile version characters into the SNES ROM.

I had been looking for those sprites. Do you have them all?
http://ffbin.sp.land.to/src/FF_0140.zip

Rather late, but I was browsing some Japanese romhack uploader and found these sprite rips/prepared sheets of the After Years sprites. Not all of them are here, but a sizeable amount are... There's also what look to be a few FFV sprites too, battle animations for NPCs who aren't normally seen in battle.

I'm guessing this resource is up for grabs. Here's the source:

http://ffbin.sp.land.to/upload.html

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #551 on: June 16, 2013, 10:21:45 am »
Some of these sound really interesting. One of them is "FF VI, Medium-Spicy Version." XD

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 16, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »
Yeah, these uploaders are somewhat common for Japanese romhacks and projects, from what I've seen the past few years :thumbsup: You can always find a bunch of cool hacks on these, or for games you didn't think had that much attention.

For example, I've been following a Fire Emblem uploader for a couple years now, archiving everything that gets uploaded, and the archive is at 105 folders, not including content within folders, compressed to 200MB. There's at least been 15 FULL game hacks too that add a lot of new content over the vanilla games.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2013, 01:22:31 am »
Now edited! Mostly.

Battler/Ronove scenario's done.

Yeah, it's... messed up.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 24, 2013, 07:33:10 pm »
One thing: I'd change that giggle from "Ihihi!" to "Eeheehee" or something similar. Ihihi looks like it could be pronounced "eh-high-high" or something like that.

Other than that, looks good.  :thumbsup:

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #555 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:29 pm »
Is it just me or does the kerning on that font look off? It looks like there should be another pixel or two of space between the letters - right now they look all squished together. I also agree on using "eeheehee." Other than those minor gripes, looks nice!
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2013, 12:57:36 pm »
Today I discovered that Star Ocean has a software sprite scaler taking fixed-point numbers as scaling factors:

(left: 2.0, 2.0, right: 1.5, 0.5)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2013, 01:01:00 pm »
That's probably used for when you pick up an item.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #558 on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:59 pm »
Yeah, and when you win a battle.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »
That's frikin awesome.  It's most likely used for what they said before, but that's SUPER interesting to see that on the characters themselves.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'