News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 986070 times)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #480 on: April 24, 2013, 01:43:00 am »
I never did get around to finishing the Breath of Fire 1 translation hack, but here's how far I got.  Yes, this is working all within the game engine. =)

Where did this purdy looking menu came from? SNES? GBA? And, is THAT BoF1 or 2?  :D

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2013, 02:02:35 am »
Where did this purdy looking menu came from? SNES? GBA? And, is THAT BoF1 or 2?  :D

SNES version of Breath of Fire 1.  This is what the original looks like for the same screen and items:

April 24, 2013, 02:05:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Maybe eventually I'll get the motivation to continue this hack with Ryusui.  He translated the text you see here for me, but he didn't finish the script.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:14 am »
Oh god please continue it.  It's absolutely beautiful and such a sad fate if that went to waste.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:59 am »
Where did you get those icons for the weapon, ring, shield, etc? I've wanted to use some icons on occasion to help out with menu screen space issues like that, but anything I created myself looked like junk and I didn't find anything suitable elsewhere.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:58 am »
SNES version of Breath of Fire 1.  This is what the original looks like for the same screen and items:

April 24, 2013, 02:05:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Maybe eventually I'll get the motivation to continue this hack with Ryusui.  He translated the text you see here for me, but he didn't finish the script.
If Ryusui has somehow disappeared, I would be more than willing to pick up where he left off. I love the original Breath of Fire to death. I've probably played through it a million times.

Where did you get those icons for the weapon, ring, shield, etc? I've wanted to use some icons on occasion to help out with menu screen space issues like that, but anything I created myself looked like junk and I didn't find anything suitable elsewhere.
Those look like modified versions of the ones Ryusui/d4s used in the BoF2 retranslation patch.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:43 am »

Simply lovely! I'd except this kind of detail from a remake. :beer:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
I never did get around to finishing the Breath of Fire 1 translation hack, but here's how far I got.  Yes, this is working all within the game engine. =)

Holy fucknuts that is impressive!

also shit i haven't seen you in like a month you worried me e-mail me or PM me or something
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2013, 04:31:33 pm »

News post! Even more screens! Hurrah!

Edit: Info follows.
For those unaware, Royal Stone is the followup to Crystal Warriors. (Both Gamegear titles.) It follows Eva, Knight of Martalia, who stands accused of slaughtering her own squad in the face of the enemy in order to save her own hide. The games are very mechanically similar; they both follow a Battle/Town/Battle/Town format, you can still hire troops at inns, though only a few; a good chunk of your recruits come from story or other town interactions. You can still recruit monsters, though you are now able to set them free as well, and there's a summoner class that specifically utilizes monsters in combat. Enemies are still shrouded until encountered in combat or hit with a Scan spell.

MP is gone though, so mages can spam their magic as much as they want, and the game has received a gigantic graphical update. The plot, however, is probably the most dramatic improvement. Its genes are still plain and very obvious - there are still easier battles after major ones, there's still a heavy focus on elementals and enemy generals, melee combat still consists of two-turn clashes. Towns have actual character development in them now, and aren't just places where you upgrade and recruit. The plot is pretty interesting, too! This sort of feels like the game Crystal Warriors wanted to be.

On the hacking front, most of the technical issues have been solved, all of the non-dialog has been translated, about 2/3s of the story is done, and about 1/3 of the story is edited and inserted. No ETA, but hopefully soon!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:42:32 pm by Gideon Zhi »

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 27, 2013, 01:50:11 am »
If Ryusui has somehow disappeared, I would be more than willing to pick up where he left off. I love the original Breath of Fire to death. I've probably played through it a million times.
Those look like modified versions of the ones Ryusui/d4s used in the BoF2 retranslation patch.

~DS

I was the one who lost interest, but I haven't talked to Ryusui in a while.  The way in which I worded a message above made it sound like he was the one who quit - sorry, it was me who did.

Ryusui took his BoF2 icons and colorized them for me. =)

How all this works is that all those strings are prerendered inside the ROM.  The ROM is double in size and most of the new data is uncompressed text renders.

There is not enough CPU time to render that much text at runtime.  There isn't even enough vblank time to upload all that text to VRAM!  So what I did was take advantage of the existing window opening animation - on each frame of the window opening, I upload a bit of the prerendered text to VRAM, and by the time the window is fully open, everything is uploaded.  The game doesn't draw text in a window until it's fully open, which made that hack a lot easier.

The game actually doesn't use all that much VRAM in the menu screen, which allowed me to take 28k of it for the 16-grayscale background.  The blue color is done using fixed-color add, with HDMA changing the fixed color every few scanlines.  There was no way for me to make the 28k bitmap contiguous in VRAM, so HDMA also changes the bitmap offsets at targeted scanlines.

The background is uploaded during the existing black screen which switching from field view to the menu system.  Also, that is when I runtime-render the character names, because they can be changed in the underwater city.

The numbers on the screen are tile-width, but that doesn't look too bad at all.  Dialogue is rendered one letter per frame, so runtime rendering doesn't run out of CPU time.  A big prerendered table of all letters' bitmaps shifted by each shift of 0 to 7 pixels is in the ROM to greatly improve rendering performance.  Slightly better performance could have been achieved by having the prerendered bitmaps be pregenerated chunks of 65816 code, but I didn't bother for that level of complexity.

I took a big piece of byuu's advice: We as modern developers/hackers for old consoles are not subject to the same cost constraints as the original developers.  Doubling the ROM size of a cartridge is quite expensive per unit - but this does not matter to us with our terabyte hard drives and multi-gigabyte flash drives attached to our cartridge emulators (for those of us who play hacks on real hardware).

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #490 on: April 27, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »
Just curious, but what do you have left to do? Based on that menu hack, it looks like you've already taken care of the more difficult aspects of the project.

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 28, 2013, 02:47:23 pm »
Just curious, but what do you have left to do? Based on that menu hack, it looks like you've already taken care of the more difficult aspects of the project.

Sadly, that's not the case.  The hardest part will be the item screen, by far.  The item screen can scroll, and there is not enough VRAM to store the name of every item simultaneously.  There is only enough VRAM to hold the names for one screenful.

The item screen will require a circular buffer in order to work properly, and additional code for supporting swapping two items.  It won't be easy whenever I implement it.

Finally, there's battle mode, but fortunately, unlike the Final Fantasy SNES games, battle mode menus share a lot of code with the status screen menu.  Probably the most interesting part of battle mode will be managing the lower amount of available VRAM compared to the other menus.  (For one thing, I don't think that a custom backdrop will be possible.)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 28, 2013, 07:07:06 pm »
Sadly, that's not the case.  The hardest part will be the item screen, by far.  The item screen can scroll, and there is not enough VRAM to store the name of every item simultaneously.  There is only enough VRAM to hold the names for one screenful.

The item screen will require a circular buffer in order to work properly, and additional code for supporting swapping two items.  It won't be easy whenever I implement it.

Finally, there's battle mode, but fortunately, unlike the Final Fantasy SNES games, battle mode menus share a lot of code with the status screen menu.  Probably the most interesting part of battle mode will be managing the lower amount of available VRAM compared to the other menus.  (For one thing, I don't think that a custom backdrop will be possible.)

What about maybe dropping one item off the menu,  or maybe using a smaller font for more room?

Also I had an extremely similar issue in the menu data in Tales of Phantasia.  Although,  the menus had two  of the same JSL commands but separate for the menus.  So it was easy to split them up.  Is that feasible in  Breath of Fire at  all?  If not I'm sure there's a menu byte that tells which screen you're on and maybe use that to solve the problems.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 29, 2013, 02:41:33 pm »

Love this! Especially the expanded text strings, layout and the icons for stuff (ESPECIALLY the icons)... OK. That about covered everything. Or did it? If I were to pick on something; I guess I feel the background is a little "noisy." Think the main issue isn't the picture, but that gray line in the middle of it, if it was just same level of blue filtered all over. The gray bit is kinda distracting + I feel it kinda blurs a bit with the text.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #494 on: April 29, 2013, 02:56:13 pm »

I had to edit that down to get it to fit on the screen. Probably end up rewording it a bit and/or reducing the spacing between lines to fit more on screen.

My first PCE project as well. It's collecting dust atm and needs to be edited etc.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »

Did you guys ever decide what you were going to do with the main menu screen?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #496 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:18 pm »
Well. Remember right after the BoF2 patch was done, and I started doing my own work on BoF1 before I decided it'd take too much effort to hammer the SNES version's menu into shape?

The plan is to actually use my fancy-style menu I made (or something that looks like it). :3

And I haven't abandoned this, either; it's just that a lot of stuff came up and I haven't been able to get back to the translation effort. I actually put together my own custom script editor in Python so I could compare the Woolsey and Japanese scripts side-by-side. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2013, 11:01:03 pm »
Well. Remember right after the BoF2 patch was done, and I started doing my own work on BoF1 before I decided it'd take too much effort to hammer the SNES version's menu into shape?

The plan is to actually use my fancy-style menu I made (or something that looks like it). :3

Posting from the old BoFII retranslation thread. I like how it turned out. I forgot it, to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:24:33 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 30, 2013, 01:54:35 am »
I have heard a few people say that the background bitmap is distracting.  Do you have any recommendations about it?

I'm on my iPad right now, so unfortunately, I can't post a screenshot of the main menu.  Ryusui might be able to, though.

The main menu is in the same style as the status screen I showed, but its layout was tweaked to be more like BoF2.  The menu options are on the left side vertically, using the same bitmaps for buttons and their labels as in that previous screenshot (Ryusui's previous project).

The Zenny amount was moved to the top right, like BoF2.  I removed it as a "stage" of the menu, since it is now visible from the main menu.

I added the name of your current location to the top left of the screen, like BoF2 and like the GBA BoF1.  I extracted the map ID to location name mapping table from the GBA ROM.  This also means that our version has more location names than the original SNES - the SNES version only had a few locations that are not in Deis's warp list.  (These were used as repeated strings in the dialogue as a primitive compression system.)

Hi Ryusui <3

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2013, 02:04:44 am »
I have heard a few people say that the background bitmap is distracting.  Do you have any recommendations about it?

A few ideas: a) make it darker so it's less prominent, b) make it optional (new option in the Options menu), c) let the user choose between several images. I think it's beautiful, though.